Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 05:40 AM   #101
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New York Mets 2012 Banter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
Mac, statements like this make me want to drive to VA just to slap you!

Ike is 24 years old, a baby!
In 183 career games, most of which were in cavernous Citi Field, he's hit 26 hr and driven in 96 runs.
What in that sample leads you to believe he won't hit enough?

The Mets should pray they find another 24 players just like Ike!!!
Come on down and get your feelings hurt. In 183 career games...26 HR and 96 RBI are not exactly what I'd call "power numbers". In comparison with other first baseman his stats are not providing enough punch in an otherwise weak offense. Granted, he is no Pujols, Fielder, Howard, Cabrera, or Texiera...but 1 HR every 25 AB isn't gonna win us any NL East titles. Now his RBI ratio is not bad at all...1 RBI every 6.8 AB. I guess the point I was really trying to make was that it's okay to spend $ 36 million for Perez, loads of money on over the hill veterans thatn can no longer produce and god knows how much on Castillo...but we won't spend decent money on a power. hitting 1B.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:05 AM   #102
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I am being cynical...with all the money the Mets brass has thrown around the past five years, I'm just a tad upset that we won't spend any money to upgrade this years team. Like Chris said, with a beautiful new ballpark they're gonna throw an, at best, minor league team out on the field for an entire season?
Old 01-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #103
mase
Undead Recruiter

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (9)
Cohiba
mase will become famous soon enoughmase will become famous soon enough

I don't think you are being cynical, just realistic. I'm not remotely excited to see anyone on the team play. David Wright used to be someone I liked to watch, but his play has been way down.

The only way this team performs this year is by a miracle. Wright, Bay and Johan would have to have career years and Ike would have to take a giant step forward. That wouldn't even be enough. There are gaping holes at pitcher, 2B, C, CF and RF - that assumes Tejada is ok at SS.

The only honest assessment of this team is that it's a basement dweller and probably will be for a few years.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #104
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Queens, NY. (AP) - A seven-year old boy was at the center of a courtroom drama yesterday when he challenged a court ruling over whom should have custody of him. The boy has a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge initially awarded custody to his aunt, in keeping with child custody law and regulation requiring that family unity be maintained to the highest degree possible.

The boy surprised the court when he proclaimed that his aunt beat him more than his parents and he adamantly refused to live with her. When
the judge then suggested that he live with his grandparents, the boy cried and said that they also beat him. After considering the remainder of the immediate family and learning that domestic violence was apparently a way of life among them, the judge took the unprecedented step of allowing the boy to propose who should have custody of him.

After two recesses to check legal references and confer with the child welfare officials, the judge granted temporary custody to the New York
Mets, whom the boy firmly believes are not capable of beating anyone.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:38 AM   #105
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Ouch!!
Old 01-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #106
mase
Undead Recruiter

Cohiba

Oh, the Mets resigned Scott Hairston. That should put us over the top.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:14 AM   #107
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mase View Post
Oh, the Mets resigned Scott Hairston. That should put us over the top.
Our big off-season signing.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #108
mase
Undead Recruiter

Cohiba

Another show stopper as reported by ESPN's Adam Rubin:

"The Mets and middle-infielder Ronny Cedeno are at a "critical" point in negotiations and there could be a verdict soon, but there has yet to be an agreement between the sides, a source familiar with the negotiations said.

That comment came as a Venezuelan-based report from Pendulo Latino maintained the Mets are closing in on signing Cedeno.

If Cedeno does come on board, Ruben Tejada and Daniel Murphy still would be projected as the starters, but Cedeno would be a viable alternative at either position should something occur.

Cedeno hit .249 with two homers and 32 RBIs in 413 at-bats for the Pittsburgh Pirates last season. He has played 548 major league games at shortstop and 81 games at second base over seven major league seasons."
Old 01-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #109
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Cedeno???
Old 01-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #110
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Cedeno???
an RBI machine....**

** in high school...

Old 01-09-2012, 05:20 AM   #111
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Ronny Cedeno??? And now the guaranteed failure of 2012 and a sure NL East cellar spot is complete.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:29 AM   #112
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Looks like the Mets have finally given up on Fernando Martinez and placed the once-untouchable outfielder on waivers this week.

The Mets also placed reliever Daniel Ray Herrera on waivers to clear 40-man roster space for outfielder Scott Hairston and infielder Ronny Cedeno, whose free-agent deals will soon become official. I believe we should keep Herrera, he pitched well down the stretch out of the bullpen for us.

Seeking rotation and bullpen depth, the Mets signed right-handed pitchers Miguel Batista and Fernando Cabrera to Minor League contracts on Tuesday and invited both to Spring Training. While Batista is 40 years old, he pitched well at the end of last year.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:30 AM   #113
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Pelfrey gets $ 5.68 million from the Mets to avoid arbitration???? I wouldn't give his a$$ two plum nickels.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #114
mase
Undead Recruiter

Cohiba

Quote:
Pelfrey gets $ 5.68 million from the Mets to avoid arbitration???? I wouldn't give his a$$ two plum nickels.
Someone has to pay for those sports psychologist sessions!
Old 01-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #115
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

Partagas

AP Queens, NY

Despite the struggles in the banking industry, the Mets will still keep Citi Field as the name of their ballpark. Mainly because they're hoping they can get a bailout for their bullpen.
And, despite their troubles, Officials for the New York Mets said season ticket sales are doing well. Especially popular are the new "first six innings" and "April through August" plans.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #116
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
And, despite their troubles, Officials for the New York Mets said season ticket sales are doing well. Especially popular are the new "first six innings" and "April through August" plans.

Wow, pretty big talk from a Phillie fan, when you consider they played in NO World Series from 1915 to 1950, did not WIN one until 1980, and has won only ONE more since then . . . making their ring total the same as the Mets.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:51 AM   #117
mase
Undead Recruiter

Cohiba

Mac, your boy, Cody Ross, signed with the Red Sox.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #118
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mase View Post
Mac, your boy, Cody Ross, signed with the Red Sox.
I know...

It's a great fit for him and the Sox.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #119
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

I just watched Moneyball the other night. I think the Mets should watch it and take some notes.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #120
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

Partagas

Quote:
I know...

It's a great fit for him and the Sox.