Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-31-2017, 04:32 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Viaje Zombie Supershot

Its almost halloween, the time for monsters and zombies. Now zombies are a very American thing I think, nowhere in the world are so many people believing that a zombie outbreak could really occur, nowhere in the world are people preparing so much against a zombie outbreak and even the American government has zombie battle plans. As a rational European being that is hilarious. I remember I was in Orlando a few years ago, at Corona Cigar Downtown location and a group of people, dressed as zombies walked by. It was right at the time that the Russians were about to invade Ukraine for the Krim area and when another cigar aficionado, that those zombies tried to scare, laughed them off, the zombie seriously said “but when the Russians drop the bomb on the Ukraine we will all turn into zombies”. I was shocked for two reasons, the first that someone could actually believe that and the second that an American citizen had a clue what was going on in the world. And it made me realize that if I am wrong and a zombie apocalypse will happen a lot of people will get killed just because they will sit and laugh when the zombies appear thinking it are actors, just like what happened in Orlando.

I must admit, I never had much for zombie movies or tv shows but that changed after the arrival of The Walking Dead, I am hooked on that show and on the spin off Fear the Walking Dead, although the first season of the Fear the Walking Dead was difficult to get through, but it got much better. And I’m not the only one, it has been a hit from day one and zombies are more popular then ever. We even saw some cigars smoked in the show and the Abraham character is a known cigar smoker in real life. As zombies are popular, so is the merchandise and everything zombie related. Now I don’t know if Andre Farkas from Viaje got his inspiration there but he has had a zombie line since 2011, a year after The Walking Dead appeared. And he also had a line called Super Shot, a shotgun shell sized cigar in a cardboard old style shotgun shell box.

In 2013 he combined the two with the Zombie Super Shot, the Zombie blend in the Super Shot size. He kept the box style packaging but now with a Zombie on the outside and a bullet hole in the head of the zombie when you open the box. Even though this cigar is made at Raices Cubanas in Honduras it is a Nicaraguan puro with a Nicaraguan Criollo 98 wrapper. The size is exactly like the smallest of the Nubs, the original ‘short and fat’ cigar, 3 1/2×54 and thats about as thick as it should get in my humble opinion, I’m not a fan of thick cigars. Once I open the box I see short dark cigars, darker than I expected, a little smudged dark wrapper with a few thin veins and a closed foot, I checked a few but on none of them the triple cap was applied nicely. The construction feels good though. As the cigars have no ring I will score the colorful box with the zombie and the combined Zombie and Super Shot logos and I like it, its something else than a wooden box or a cellophane or paper bundle, I like the detail that the box opening is a bullethole in the zombie’s head. Very creative work. The aroma is quite strange but not too strong, it smells a bit like mild peppery licorice.

I punched the cigar to find a surprisingly good cold draw, I expected it to be tight due to the closed foot. I taste some raisin with a mild spices aftertaste. I lit the cigar with a soft flame. I taste coffee with earthy notes and after a few puffs some pepper too. After that I also taste spices, a bit vanilla and nutmeg. Halfway I taste earthy smoked flavors with some pepper and a little bit of citrus twang. The pepper is getting stronger, much stronger. The coffee returns a little later still with the pepper. The pepper mellows out and then I taste earthy flavors and nuts until the end.

The smoke is thick, white and decent in amount. The draw is great. The burn is oke, not perfect though and the dark ash is frayed yet firm. The cigar is medium bodied and full flavored. Even though it’s a small cigar it lasted me an hour and forty minutes.

Would I buy this cigar again? Impossible

Score: 90

https://cigarguideorg.wordpress.com/...ie-super-shot/