Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 12-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
never_enough
Never Satisfied

First Name: Robert
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
never_enough will become famous soon enoughnever_enough will become famous soon enough
Default Got my first French Press for Christmas

As the title says, after talking about wanting a French Press, I finally got one from the g/f for Christmas.

Its a small Bodum, basically for one person. But thats ok, because its just for me anyways

Anyways, where do I go now?

Says I should use coarse ground coffee. I don't have a grinder and I assume the stuff already ground in bags at the grocery store are a finer grind? Should I just find a local coffee place, buy their coffee and ask them to grind it for me?
Old 12-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Got my first French Press for Christmas

You need to use course ground, if not, the fine ground will get stuck in the metal filter or go through it into your coffee. Some grocery stores have whole beans and a grinder there where you can grind it course yourself. Or you can buy it from local coffee houses and have them grind it.
I got a black and decker blade grinder from Lowes for about $30. Its ok, not the best, but it getst the job done.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by never_enough View Post
Anyways, where do I go now?
Congratulations Robert and what a great g/f you have indeed! I assume you were gifted a 4 cup/17oz F/P. If so, place 12oz of boiling water into the glass container, followed by 5 tablespoons of (medium) ground coffee (that is, 2 tablespoons of ground coffee per 6oz of water + 1 tablespoon for the glass container).

Since you have a glass container, stir briefly with a wooden spoon and then place the press into the glass container just above the stirred water/coffee grounds. What you want to do at this point is let the coffee grounds and hot water marry together for about 4 minutes.

Then, slowly push the press downwards towards the bottom of the glass container. Coffee will flow through the fine mesh metel filter upwards, while the press pushes the grounds to the bottom. Once you can push no further (and don't try to muscle it) you're finished.

At this point, just pick up your French Press and pour into a cup and enjoy. Besides enjoying my coffee black, I also enjoy it as follows: 2 teaspoons Turbinado sugar in your cup, pour the hot coffee about 50 to 60% full, stir Turbinado sugar until married with coffee, and add half and half until almost to the top and stir. Makes a fine cup

As time goes on, you can adjust the amounts of ground coffee upwards or downwards depending on how strong or light you enjoy coffee. You can also try a medium/fine grind or fine grind too. I have used a fine grind and its just a little tougher to push the press downward (and you really do not want that).

So, there you go, and enjoy your new French Press and the different types of coffee to brew in it...
Old 12-26-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
never_enough
Never Satisfied

First Name: Robert
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
never_enough will become famous soon enoughnever_enough will become famous soon enough

Awesome! Thanks for the replies. I'm excited to taste coffee brewed this way. Only had k cups for the last few years. Tired of the weak coffee.

And thanks for the detailed instructions Mark
I will start there and adjust to see the differences.

What's the deal with that sugar? Is it natural or something?
Old 12-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by never_enough View Post
And thanks for the detailed instructions Mark I will start there and adjust to see the differences.

What's the deal with that sugar? Is it natural or something?

Turbinado sugar is raw sugar that is minimally processed. It will lend a carmel type of flavor to your coffee. Here's a site with more information for you:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-turbinado-sugar.htm
Old 12-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

First Name: Scott
Trading: (15)
Partagas
cobra03 will become famous soon enoughcobra03 will become famous soon enough

Great present right there. My wife got me one a few years back and I dont make coffee any other way. The Keurig collects dust unless the inlaws are here. You definitly need to invest in a grinder even if its a cheap one. Buy whole beans and grind them to your liking. Thats the best way to do it. You wont be disappointed.