Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2013, 05:02 AM   #1
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about
Default Any suggestions on washer/dryers?

Time to replace our contractor grade washer/dryer. It seems like the sky is the limit on the budget for them these days. Not sure about the front load units. THe folks I know that have them have had a lot of trouble out of them. Who makes good stuff these days? Kenmore? Whirlpool?

ask the wives/s.o. if necessary...

thanks
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:17 AM   #2
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation
Default Re: Any suggestions on washer/dryers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Time to replace our contractor grade washer/dryer. It seems like the sky is the limit on the budget for them these days. Not sure about the front load units. THe folks I know that have them have had a lot of trouble out of them. Who makes good stuff these days? Kenmore? Whirlpool?

ask the wives/s.o. if necessary...

thanks
I left it to my wife as didn't want to hear it if it didn't work out.
About four years ago or so, I replaced both for her with front loading units with stands.
First, don't get the plastic inside ones. Get metal.
As for reliability, we have LG and cannot say one bad word about the brand. In fact, we gradually changed all our appliances to LG and not one has malfunctioned ever.
We initially had a few questions and were able to reach them 24 hrs on a toll free number, and still can to this day if needed.
The front loading are very quiet and very energy efficient. Much, much nicer than the conventional ones.
No matter what you end up with, let it be what SHE wants.
Trust a man married for 31 years.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Replaced ours with GE front loads years ago and haven't had any problems. Bought the stands to raise them up, but we really don't use the drawers for storage. The wash cycle takes much longer than a top load as it uses less water. You can't believe the clock on the front as to the minutes left. It's like a basketball game, 1 minute can take 10. When it spins, it sounds like a plane taking off and must be really level or it will rock and shake. We also have to leave the door open to let it dry out or it will smell musty. On the plus side, it gets the clothes really clean and I don't lose buttons off my shirt. The clothes come out really dry, so the dryer doesn't run very long. We have had ours for maybe 10 years, so I'm sure they have improved the current models.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
Kevin(n)tn
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (1)
Kevin(n)tn is on a distinguished road

Not Kenmore! The house we bought came furnished with all Kenmore. We have had to have the washer, dryer and dishwasher serviced. The dishwasher is junk.
Kevin(n)tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #5
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Thanks a bunch guys. I have some time, so I suppose I need to get to reading up on these things.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:21 AM   #6
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

We bought Electrolux about 4 years ago.
Overall very happy with them... Some of my t-shirts are getting this little horizontal slits/holes - google suggests this might be a spin speed that is too fast.
It can of course be told to spin more slowly if in fact that's the problem...
Old 03-30-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Whirlpool Duet, period.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
Whirlpool Duet, period.
That is what I am looking at. Sorta. Gotta say, I do not know if I can bring myself to spend $2k+ on a washer/dryer.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #9
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

A good front loader will wring out the clothes so that the dryer is done in no time.
Our stuff is Maytag Neptune. They've been awesome. I did have a wire burn off the heater once and I had to fix that. Beyond that, no troubles.
They've been going for 7 or 8 years, bought them new, around $1600 for the pair I think.
I'd buy them again in a minute.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

I bought LG front loaders last year to replace Maytag Neptunes that were with the house when we moved in a few years ago. The LGs were the best reviewed on Consumer Reports after I did a decent amount of research and we're very happy with them. I think we paid $1600 for the pair from Best Buy. Plus, they were running two years no interest, so I just pay them $50 a month. It's like I didn't even have to pay for them.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
EricF
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Eric
Trading: (116)
RA
EricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
Whirlpool Duet, period.
I have these also. Bought them 8.5 years ago when I moved into my house and have not had 1 stitch of trouble with them. Agreed that they need to air out or they get musty smelling, but that is a small price to pay for a quality product.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #12
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

When our daughter was born two years ago we decided to do cloth diapers and so got a new washer and dryer we settled on the Samsung 419 steam series. They are fantastic, imagine loading about 50 full diapers in to a washing machine four to five times a week for two years... These things always come out clean and fresh, one thing I think contributes a lot is their silver active fresh where a jet of water flows over some silver producing ions that help keep the clothing sterile...
Old 03-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #13
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Thanks a bunch guys. I have some time, so I suppose I need to get to reading up on these things.
If you have time, research is key.

Since 2004 I believe, its been the Kenmore Elite Heavy Duty washer (top loader) and dryer (gas and front loader) with no problemo' to date. There's 3 of us. Well, also the dawg and two katz (you know, blankets and such that they sleep on). So, the above units have been getting a workout since.

Prior to that, we had bought a home in Tujunga back in 1985 with no washer/dryer. A friend I was working with at the time had an old pair of Kenmore washer/dryer (gas) sitting out in his garage. These were green in color and made me believe they were from the 70's. He wanted to know if I wanted them and I said sure. So we hauled them from his home in Glendora out to Tujunga and got all hooked up.

Other than having to replace the rubber band on the dryer drum after a couple of years, they both worked just fine. Got rid of both when we purchased the Elites...
Old 03-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #14
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I bought LG front loaders last year to replace Maytag Neptunes that were with the house when we moved in a few years ago. The LGs were the best reviewed on Consumer Reports after I did a decent amount of research and we're very happy with them. I think we paid $1600 for the pair from Best Buy. Plus, they were running two years no interest, so I just pay them $50 a month. It's like I didn't even have to pay for them.
Any idea what model?
Old 03-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #15
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Any idea what model?
When I bought mine, they were all Tromm, just different features fron one model to other.
Remember, you want stainless inside.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #16
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

Ended up with the LG 5171 washer and accompanying dryer. Works great so far. Only complaint is that it gets out of balance with loads that are too small. Strange problem.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #17
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Philippines, Dominican Republic.

Oh... er.. um... Fairly good luck with our Neptune pair, one self repair for about 70 ebay bucks in about 7 years on the washer digital pad on top. Not bad overall.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #18
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

I am surprised that joke took so long..... lol.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #19
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Couldn't help my tactless self.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #20
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
I left it to my wife as didn't want to hear it if it didn't work out.
About four years ago or so, I replaced both for her with front loading units with stands.
First, don't get the plastic inside ones. Get metal.
As for reliability, we have LG and cannot say one bad word about the brand. In fact, we gradually changed all our appliances to LG and not one has malfunctioned ever.
We initially had a few questions and were able to reach them 24 hrs on a toll free number, and still can to this day if needed.
The front loading are very quiet and very energy efficient. Much, much nicer than the conventional ones.

No matter what you end up with, let it be what SHE wants.

Trust a man married for 31 years.
Sounds like sound advice to me...