Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
Outlaw God
John 3:16

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (2)
Outlaw God is on a distinguished road
Default What size Ashton VSG is your favorite?

I just had the Ashton VSG Enchantment (Perfecto) (4.3"x60) size and it was wonderful

Hoping someone had a size that was there favorite and why?

Want to buy a box, they where that good, maybe I should get a sample box first.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AshtonVSGAllSizes.jpg (84.2 KB, 205 views)
Old 06-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
TJarv
In it to win it

First Name: Tony
Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What size Ashton VSG is your favorite?

My favorite is the Eclipse Tubo. My girlfriend bought me a handful for my birthday last year that had a nice amount of plume on them

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
TJarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
Outlaw God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJarv View Post
My favorite is the Eclipse Tubo. My girlfriend bought me a handful for my birthday last year that had a nice amount of plume on them
Thanks brother, will do some homework on it
Old 06-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
Sweet_Leaf_PDX
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jason
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Sweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enoughSweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enough

I really like the Illusion, but I have not tried all the sizes they offer so my ability to compare them is no good. I've seen samplers of these that have 5 different sizes in them.
Sweet_Leaf_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
Outlaw God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Leaf_PDX View Post
I really like the Illusion, but I have not tried all the sizes they offer so my ability to compare them is no good. I've seen samplers of these that have 5 different sizes in them.
Yea, I ordered a sample pack to get it down, interesting how the same tobacco can be different tasting when rolled in different sizes.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ashton-vsg-cigar-sampler.jpg (52.0 KB, 194 views)
Old 06-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

The Ashton VSG is one stick that I have tried time and time again and just can't get into. I've smoked about 7-8 of these, a few different sizes, and just can't enjoy them.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
Outlaw God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
The Ashton VSG is one stick that I have tried time and time again and just can't get into. I've smoked about 7-8 of these, a few different sizes, and just can't enjoy them.
So what part of the flavors and smoke is missing for you and what beats it for you?
Thanks
Old 06-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

I've been up and down with these. I thought it was an RG-thing. I loved the first few skinnies I'd tried. Larger RG's and perfectos left me wanting. But the last couple coronas I tried weren't getting it done, either. I highly doubt Ashton is very inconsistent -- so, either it's just me, or...perhaps there's a lot of change going on when aging and not being able to tell how old they were makes it impossible to factor in that variable.
When 'on', they are complex, spicy, biting retrohale and great big, lasting finish that leaves you chewing on the smoke/taste until the next 'puff'. When off, I get a severe 'flatness' and I get bored with them pretty quickly.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Illusion
And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” Acts 10:13
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #10
Outlaw God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Illusion
The description sounds inviting
Thanks

Quote:
.which is exceptional. Pre-light, it exhales strong notes of coffee with an obvious sweetness due to the sun-grown wrapper. Once lit, the initial spiciness is nicely mixed with sweet vanilla flavors. As the spice mellows out, a whole array of flavors appears - nuts, roasted coffee, butter - with earthy undertones in the background. The bouquet is incredibly smooth but the smoke is definitely full-bodied.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

I prefer whatever size VSG somebody gives me, since I can't afford to buy them.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #12
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw God View Post
Yea, I ordered a sample pack to get it down, interesting how the same tobacco can be different tasting when rolled in different sizes.
Thanks
It all comes down to ratios in the blend. To get the ring gauge right for a certain size, they may use an extra half leaf of ligero or seco, which will beef up or tone down the blend respectively. Not to mention the wrapper to filler ratio changing amongst the sizes. Every cigar and person's pallatte has a sweet spot. Ie, for me the Ortega Serie D Maddies work best in the No. 20 size, a 6x60, a size I normally can't stand at all.

And to stay on topic, the Sorceror and Illusion are my two favorites. Illusions are hands down the top seller at work, with Wizard 37s not far behind(though this is the work of a handful of regulars)
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:37 PM   #13
Outlaw God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
It all comes down to ratios in the blend. To get the ring gauge right for a certain size, they may use an extra half leaf of ligero or seco, which will beef up or tone down the blend respectively. Not to mention the wrapper to filler ratio changing amongst the sizes. Every cigar and person's pallatte has a sweet spot. Ie, for me the Ortega Serie D Maddies work best in the No. 20 size, a 6x60, a size I normally can't stand at all.

And to stay on topic, the Sorceror and Illusion are my two favorites. Illusions are hands down the top seller at work, with Wizard 37s not far behind(though this is the work of a handful of regulars)
Very informative heads-up information brother, thank you very much!
Old 06-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #14
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw God View Post
So what part of the flavors and smoke is missing for you and what beats it for you?
Thanks
Flavors? All of it...they just seem bland to me. I could name a TON of sticks that beats it FOR ME. But that is the great thing about our little hobby... what I might enjoy, someone else doesn't and vice versa. All goes back to smoke what you like, like what you smoke.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #15
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

I like the Enchantment as well. Wait till they get at least 5 years on them. Nummy!
Old 06-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #16
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Trading: (20)
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

Corona Gorda
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #17
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

I've only had two VSGs, the Torpedo and the Belicoso #1. I prefer the latter.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #18
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe215 View Post
Corona Gorda
Same for me.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #19
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

The biggest one I can find/afford, on special occasions I'm always torn between one of these and a Padron 1964. As a matter of fact I think I have a lancero in the Humi, time to smoke it in honor of the late Mr. Gandolfini.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #20
Outlaw God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post

Got all 3 you suggested thanks !
1 Ashton VSG Wizard
1 Ashton VSG Sorcerer
5 Ashton VSG Illusion