Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-08-2021, 09:37 AM   #1
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of
Default Time for a change...

Do to several factors, I think it's time for a change in my life. I have been working in the same industry for 38 years and it is getting harder every day to get up, put on a smile and do the same crap with the same stress and anxiety over and over. Add the possible upcoming mandates, my time may be getting close.

My issue is where/how to start over. Having done this for so long, I really don't feel like I have any marketable skills, and I DO NOT want to just change companies. I need a new vocation. Yes, I can (and have been working on) getting back into catering, but that will take time and I'll be without insurance.

I have some money saved, but we took a big hit to my reserves when Holly was sick. I have my dad's house that I can fix up and sell, but that would only give me about a year's salary. And I would rather not hit my 401k, I need to wait another couple of years to get it without paying penalties. I also have about 10 years before I can hit social security (it it's still around).

Sorry to ramble, just wondering if anyone else has been at this point in their life and has any advice.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:08 AM   #2
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Time for a change...

I’m not trying to start a partisan argument. But, look into the medical insurance offered through the ACA (Obamacare). It’s not perfect, and it varies from state to state. But, it helps. I chose the cheapest plan which has a high deductible. If you would have trouble with a sudden big bill, you might want to pay more for a lower deductible.

Remember that the amount you pay is based on your projected income for the year - not lasts year’s salary.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:19 AM   #3
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Thanks Bob

Just to clarify, I'm not looking for particular info on insurance, etc in so much as info on making life changes in general.

TIA
Old 11-08-2021, 11:27 AM   #4
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

A couple things from listening to Dave Ramsey over the years, make sure the boat is at the dock before you leap, look around to see if there are other options at work to change your role, look at friends and family to see what they do and if something interests you, ask them about their job in depth and if possible shadow/volunteer for a little bit to get a taste of what that may look like on a day to day basis.

Good luck Steve!
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:57 AM   #5
Havanaaddict
Man in Black!!!

Trading: (1)
Havanaaddict will become famous soon enoughHavanaaddict will become famous soon enough

Well it was a long time ago but I never regretted it!
I worked in the auto body industry starting with. I rebuilt stolen Porsche and Mercedes Benz from the ground up. Then I ran auto body shop about 10 years with no help. Writing all the estimates, ordering all the parts and paint, dealing with the ins companies, air and waste people and the employees all while with an absentee owner busting my balls everyday. Never knowing how or if I would make payroll. Not knowing if my painter was going to go on a binder and I would have to suit up and go in the paint booth. Ect, Ect, Ect. I was so close to having a breakdown everyday! Then my wife gave me the news that we were going to have a baby. She had been climbing the corporate ladder and she asked me what I thought about being a stay at home dad "this was in 96'. six months later I quit and it cost me a lot as the SOB sold the biz out from under me and I lost a lot of $$ from back pay and my percentage. But I did the right thing I am still a stay at home dad with one daughter out of the house and the other 17 now. I can't tell you it has a been a cake walk but I would do it again in a heart beat!!!
As the girls got older I did do some PT in the thing I loved PT at a cigar shop smoking cigars all day It also allowed me to be a full-time caregiver when my moms health started to go down. I was able to move her into my home and take care of her for the last 3 years of her life!!!

It is always a risk at one point the wife's company closed and we had no ins. and it took her a year to find another job and we spent all of our savings! But it has all worked out and I have been blessed!!!

Go for your dreams or at least find something that is not killing you slowly!!!
Old 11-08-2021, 12:06 PM   #6
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

What kind of vocations or industries do you aspire to be in?
Old 11-08-2021, 12:26 PM   #7
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Invest everything you can in Powerball tickets!

But seriously I'll be working till im dead with no savings nothing because of the ex, may she die in a fire, but I can suggest ... you come down south for a cigar one of these days!
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 01:32 PM   #8
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
What kind of vocations or industries do you aspire to be in?
That's the big question. I really just don't know anymore Moses.
Old 11-08-2021, 02:12 PM   #9
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Basically in the same boat Steve. Not happy in my new job, but it’s all I know. Just trying to hang on for two more years and then retire at 55.
Old 11-08-2021, 02:35 PM   #10
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I have no advice but all the confidence that you will find the right fit, Steve.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 02:56 PM   #11
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

Steve, I am 55 years old. I have been in printing and publishing since I was 15. 40 years! It's all I've known. I am in the same place as you. But I have a family to take care of. A daughter with type 1 diabetes that must be covered with insurance. If it wasn't for that, I'd walk out tomorrow with no safety net of another job. Between my wife and I we have over $200K in the bank. Most of that is accessible assets. But it would never be enough to gamble my future on. My wife and I used to have a wedding business. Did it for 22 years. We got burned out and sold everything. It was humbling seeing every dollar we made went 35% in some kind of tax. I am looking and will always be looking so long as I'm here. I wouldn't recommend you jump without a safety net. I especially wouldn't touch catering with a 10 1/2 foot pole, especially in these uncertain times.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:01 PM   #12
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Dang Steve, I am with Tom on this one also. No advice from me as I have been doing the same job for 24 years, just moved to a nicer climate to do it some more. Good luck in whatever happens.
Old 11-09-2021, 06:23 AM   #13
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
That's the big question. I really just don't know anymore Moses.
Well, what types of things would you like a new vocation to include? Do you want to travel? Work with tools or hands? Desk job, math heavy, customer facing, commission based? Do you want to be a sole proprietor or work for someone else? Write this all down and layout so you can build a plan. You need some direction or you'll waste time and cycles.

Start with the bottom of the pyramid instead of the top down to figure out where or what you'd want to do. Many vocations can be taught in school and/or apprenticeship.

When I got into computers, I said "I need a vocation" and bought a book on Windows 95 and went from there. 25 years later I am still in that vocation. Hardly my dream vocation, but it pays the bills & all that.

I should've just went to vocational school instead of regular high school, but if you don't go right to college in America you are looked at lower class or not as smart (to the ones who keep promoting college at all costs). My college degrees aren't worth more than the frames they are displayed in.

I look at all the large yachts Falmouth Harbor where I grew up. Very few were afforded because of a college degree. Most are owned by people in construction, sales, real estate, etc... Not so many academics, lol
Old 11-09-2021, 11:57 AM   #14
Havanaaddict
Man in Black!!!

Havanaaddict will become famous soon enoughHavanaaddict will become famous soon enough

I don't know if outside sales interests you! But I have a few friends that are in medical sales and make a boat load of money and get to set there own seg. for the most part. If you can work your way up to running a team, it can be done from you house with little travel!
Old 11-09-2021, 05:15 PM   #15
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Try Not To Touch Your Retirement, Brother. You'll Never Get That Back. I Know You Well, & You'll Find Somening Better, My Friend.. Praying For You!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 06:17 PM   #16
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

Time for a cool change?
Old 11-15-2021, 08:58 AM   #17
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Old 11-16-2021, 12:01 AM   #18
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

I don't know your exact situation, so I can't offer real advice. But a few years ago I did the scariest thing I ever did, I sold my house, moved to the other side of the world and start over. It worked out great for me, but I realize it could have also been the worst decision I ever made. Sometimes change works, other times it's only that the grass looks greener… (and while I type this, I realize that this really doesn't offer you anything)
Old 11-18-2021, 11:16 AM   #19
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
..But a few years ago I did the scariest thing I ever did, I sold my house, moved to the other side of the world and start over.
To Singapore?
Old 11-19-2021, 01:57 PM   #20
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Truck driving seems to be a money maker with not too much learning or education cost. Probably get much of the tuition comp'd in this current state of the economy.