Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #41
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: When did bombing become an announced event?

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
It is a rare man that will admit to being egotistical, a wise man once said.
Here's one you missed Bobarian.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:28 PM   #42
maninblack
Will smoke for food

Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

And this has been brought up before. This isn't this topics first rodeo. Some people claim others do it for the recognition or as an ego boost. I tend to have faith in enough inmates here that that isn't the case.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #43
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockspur View Post
One benefit to bomb announcements is there seems to be "contagiousness" to them. A few people dropped tracking numbers…and now there's a crap load of bombing going on.

I've bombed with and without starting threads…and honestly, I prefer silent attacks.

As long as you're doing it in the spirit of passing on love, and not competition, then bomb as you see fit.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #44
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

This is all Munky's fault

He started this all out warfare
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #45
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

That someone asked the question should be no reason for people to raise their hackles. That some see it as self-serving to announce that you are sending out a package to some unnamed person isn't surprising. I have had people active on this board admit to me in person that one of the reasons for announcing bombs is to get bumps and recognition. Is that bad? Probably not, but is a new-ish addition to a very old custom.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #46
Whipper Snapper
95% Banter 5% MMM Habanos

First Name: Blake
Trading: (0)
RA
Whipper Snapper has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
That someone asked the question should be no reason for people to raise their hackles. That some see it as self-serving to announce that you are sending out a package to some unnamed person isn't surprising. I have had people active on this board admit to me in person that one of the reasons for announcing bombs is to get bumps and recognition. Is that bad? Probably not, but is a new-ish addition to a very old custom.
I have a few odd bumps on my back. Didn't announce any bombs to end up with those though. I must be that renowned.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #47
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I can remember when we used to have bombing wars. And by war, I mean war.
Two guys would sling stuff back and forth at each other for weeks or months. All out in public and it was an absolute laugh riot.
Talk about sweat. You'd just hope someone would cave..

We've done mass bombing runs that had nearly 100 people join in. I can remember one in particular that literally transformed the recipient. The overwhelming love changed the way he thought about people, period.

I can remember when I was in an accident at work and I broke my back. It was the day before my birthday. I was laying on the couch feeling as low as I had ever felt in my life, with so much misery coming in the near future, bills, operations, doctors, it was awful.
On my birthday came a package. A box of cigars from someone I barely knew. For my birthday. It literally made my cry. It also changed my entire outlook on the crap I was about to go through. It reminded me how much I love people and how much I love being loved, so I sucked it up and got on with it.
When I went into surgery, the brothers here (at CS, actually) sent me everything I could possibly need to keep me entertained while I healed up. The outpouring of love and caring was astounding.

I can't even begin to tell all the stories of guys who's bomb arrived just at the right time. Right when they were lower than a snake's belly in a wagon rut. A small gesture of kindness that truly saved them that day, and an amazing "coincidence".
I don't believe there are any coincidences in God's world. There's no way that I could know that someone was about to jump off a roof, then the package that I sent days before caused them to step back from the edge. I've been on the receiving end of those "coincidences" many, many times.
I bet that nearly everyone, if not everyone here, can relay such a story as it happened to them. I can think of a bunch off the top of my head.

I say that if anyone wants to announce a bomb, go crazy. Let's just hope the bomb has the same tremendous impact. I think that's what folks worry about with the "announcing", that the magic healing part of the bomb may be lost with the announcement?
Old 01-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #48
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Two guys would sling stuff back and forth at each other for weeks or months. All out in public and it was an absolute laugh riot.

We've done mass bombing runs that had nearly 100 people join in. I can remember one in particular that literally transformed the recipient. The overwhelming love changed the way he thought about people, period.

I can remember when I was in an accident at work and I broke my back. It was the day before my birthday. I was laying on the couch feeling as low as I had ever felt in my life, with so much misery coming in the near future, bills, operations, doctors, it was awful.
On my birthday came a package. A box of cigars from someone I barely knew. For my birthday. It literally made my cry. It also changed my entire outlook on the crap I was about to go through. It reminded me how much I love people and how much I love being loved, so I sucked it up and got on with it.
When I went into surgery, the brothers here (at CS, actually) sent me everything I could possibly need to keep me entertained while I healed up. The outpouring of love and caring was astounding.

I can't even begin to tell all the stories of guys who's bomb arrived just at the right time. Right when they were lower than a snake's belly in a wagon rut. A small gesture of kindness that truly saved them that day, and an amazing "coincidence".
I don't believe there are any coincidences in God's world. There's no way that I could know that someone was about to jump off a roof, then the package that I sent days before caused them to step back from the edge. I've been on the receiving end of those "coincidences" many, many times.
I bet that nearly everyone, if not everyone here, can relay such a story as it happened to them. I can think of a bunch off the top of my head.

I say that if anyone wants to announce a bomb, go crazy. Let's just hope the bomb has the same tremendous impact. I think that's what folks worry about with the "announcing", that the magic healing part of the bomb may be lost with the announcement?
Vary well put brother
Old 01-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #49
Whipper Snapper

RA

Quote:

I can't even begin to tell all the stories of guys who's bomb has arrived just at the right time. Right when they were lower than a snake's belly in a wagon rut. A small gesture of kindness that truly saved them that day, and an amazing "coincidence".
I bet that nearly everyone, if not everyone here can relay such a story as it happened to them. I can think of a bunch off the top of my head.

Used to, the announcements gave me the shivers. You know, the "OH Please don't be me!" kind of thing. Now they just make me chuckle because I know I'm not much of a target anymore and someone is about to have their mailbox ruined and a smile put on their face. I like it that way. I had my "day in the sun" so to speak. And, if it weren't for my day in the sun, I'd never have worked at two different brick and mortar cigar stores. I never would've known habanos taste so good. More than anything... I don't know if I'd still be posting on these boards today. Now, I'm not saying I came to the old place (or this place) because of the bombs. Hell, when I first joined CS, I didn't even know a "bomb" existed. I was a young kid who wanted to know more about cigars. A bunch of "old guys" decided I would learn the way they saw fit; me trying a bunch of cigars I'd never be able to afford at that age. That crazy bombing raid that lasted for around 2 years opened my eyes up to the kindness and generosity of botl's. I formed some great relationships that may have otherwise not happened had I not been steamrolled. God knows I tried cigars I'll probably never see again.

And well, here I am today. Making inappropriate threads in the bombs section, being a banter queen, and most of all- hanging out with my friends.

I like bombs. I like watching from afar when the announcements are made and people get giddy. I really like watching the carpet bombings and wars you mentioned. I like it when someone's day is made.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #50
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockspur View Post
One benefit to bomb announcements is there seems to be "contagiousness" to them. A few people dropped tracking numbers…and now there's a crap load of bombing going on.

I've bombed with and without starting threads…and honestly, I prefer silent attacks.

As long as you're doing it in the spirit of passing on love, and not competition, then bomb as you see fit.
Says the man who have been bombed more than Paris Hilton!
Old 01-03-2014, 02:42 PM   #51
maninblack
Will smoke for food

Partagas

Quote:

And that is why Scott is one of my heroes. Well said brother.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #52
bighairlogo
Feeling at Home

Trading: (34)
RA
bighairlogo will become famous soon enoughbighairlogo will become famous soon enough

I have no problem with public bombing, I enjoy reading the threads and love watching people get smacked around. It's not the reasons I send out bombs but if people want to boost their ego or whatever by sending cigars to great BOTL's then let em! Sounds like a win win to me.

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
bighairlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #53
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I happen to be a fan of the old-school anonymous bombing. While that may be my preference, I see an enormous amount of generosity from scores of Inmates here, and that makes me smile. Just because you may do it differently than I do doesn't make it any less heartfelt, generous, sincere. I am a BIGGER fan of the spirit of giving and Brotherhood I see on this board, and encourage you all to bomb however you see fit...It's wonderful ANY way you choose.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #54
Whipper Snapper

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I happen to be a fan of the old-school anonymous bombing. While that may be my preference, I see an enormous amount of generosity from scores of Inmates here, and that makes me smile. Just because you may do it differently than I do doesn't make it any less heartfelt, generous, sincere. I am a BIGGER fan of the spirit of giving and Brotherhood I see on this board, and encourage you all to bomb however you see fit...It's wonderful ANY way you choose.
I still remember getting bombs from God knows who. They know though.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #55
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

I'm not a mod, but lets keep the bantering crap off a thread for once.

Bombs, gifts, care packages, are all great. We all love them, and there's nothing better than to come home to a surprise box of two. Everyone will have their own 2 cents about this topic and there's nothing wrong with that. Personally, I don't care. I feel most of the time it's a "look at me, look at me" kind of thread, but than again, that's my opinion and why I don't bother with the bomb threads often.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:17 PM   #56
bruceolee
King of Rants

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough

I remember getting a bomb after a terrible day at work. I can't remember why the day was so bad now the only thing i can remember was that i tore into that box like a kid at christmas and was just blown away by the fact that of all days to get one i got one THAT day. Made the rest of my evening and well into the next day. Thats another reason i bomb. You never know who's day you're making but dammit it's awesome when you do!
Old 01-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #57
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

It seems to me that some need to go back and read post #1 of this thread. It isn't about "why you bomb" or "I like being bombed" as many of the posts here seem to want to drag the conversation. If people want a different, even related, topic, please start one. Some of us are interested in the original question.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #58
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I remember when Vinnie got bombed with pies. It was hilarious.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:36 PM   #59
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
It seems to me that some need to go back and read post #1 of this thread. It isn't about "why you bomb" or "I like being bombed" as many of the posts here seem to want to drag the conversation. If people want a different, even related, topic, please start one. Some of us are interested in the original question.
Both the question and answer are within post #1, meaning there is no reason for any of us to reply
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:50 PM   #60
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

First Name: Jarrod
Trading: (51)
Partagas
JenksAnejo has a spectacular aura aboutJenksAnejo has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Both the question and answer are within post #1, meaning there is no reason for any of us to reply

Maybe we are reading different threads.. Because I don't see it.
JenksAnejo is offline   Reply With Quote