Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 11-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default College Hoops Thread '10-'11

OK, you asked for it . . . or at the least, did not NOT ask for it . . . so here I go. Keep in mind that I could write 10 pages here as a preview, thus both wearing out my fingers and my welcome, but will limit myself in this initial post with a quick overview of the Top Ten Pre-season picks. Feel free to add your own comments, or ask about any other team, or request that I expand and justify any of my own remarks. And now, let's get to it:

#1 - Duke: Can the Blue Demons repeat as National Champions? Yes, they can. Will they? No way. This is not meant as a diss on Dook. They have a very good squad, and have to be favored in the ACC, at least until somebody proves otherwise. Barring disaster, you could safely pencil them into the field of 68 today. But repeats are hard, even for a team that dominated the previous year. Duke played well, but did not dominate. And though they added some excellent talent (perhaps more true talent than they lost), they will miss the size and experience they DID lose. Plus, although Singler is reportedly fully recovered from his off-season surgery, it still highlights the point that this team is one pulled hammie from contender to pretender.

#2 - Michigan State: Up until a few days ago, the Spartans were my pre-season pick to take it all this year . . . at last. Partly it's the team itself, partly it's respect for Izzo's skills, but mainly it's because I think they are due. If you go to the well often enough (think Carolina in 2007, 2008, and 2009), you're gonna get wet eventually. But there are some noises already coming out of East Lansing. Lucious is, for some reason, on Izzo's $#!+list, and won't play in their opener . . . at least. Plus, it seems that somebody always gets hurt on that team, which happens often, and especially in the brutal Big Ten. So now, ask me again come March.

#3 - Kansas State: No disrespect intended, but they're gonna hafta prove it to me, since I've heard this tale before. Yes, they have some real good players, and have again managed to lure another potential lottery pick to the other Manhattan. Yet until they actually DO something beside have a good year, I ain't buying any.

#4 Ohio State: To a degree, albeit a significantly lesser one, I feel much the same about the Buckeyes. Yes, they can contend for the conference. Yes, they can make a run in March. But will they be playing on the third weekend? Ehhhhhh . . . I'd guess not.

#5 Pittsburgh: And here's another team that has a history of disappointing expectations and fans. It seems every year we hear how powerful and deep are the Panthers, and it also seems that most years it's somebody else who comes out as the Beast of the East. So you see, the K-State Wildcats should not feel like I'm picking on them, for they are not the only . . . uh, "felines".

#6 Villanova: And the kits just keep on coming. These Wildcats haven't done much since they knocked off Georgetown for the crown 25 years ago, and though I like the team, the coach, and the school, they need to step up some day.

#7 Kansas: This one is a harder call. The season for the Jayhawks may hinge on whether or not their top recruit Josh Selby is ever cleared to play. As his problem is one of academics, it is possible that he might miss the first half of their season yet be eligible for the second . . . and a run at all the marbles. But KU's best shot at another trophy might have been last year, and they were not able to show up to play.

#8 North Carolina: Last year the Heels began the season ranked #7, and finished it ranked #2 . . . in the NIT. I can predict with some degree of confidence that UNC will have a better year than was their previous campaign. However, for all these "experts" to say that Harrison Barnes is the 2nd-best player in the country, the predicted #1 pick in the 2011 NBA Draft, and the first freshman . . . EVER!! . . . to be named pre-season first-team All-American, before he's even played one damn second of college ball . . . please. Hey, as a Tar Heel myself, I wish the kid all the luck in the world, and hope he is a good as everybody says. But give me, and him, a break!

# 9 Florida: Billy Donovan's Gators haven't made much noise lately, so maybe they are due. With potential problems at Kentucky and Tennessee, and with Missouri being their only other "serious" competition in the SEC, it might be a year when the Gators CAN snap and growl. As for Billy himself . . . he's never stopped making noise, so I ain't worried on that score.

# 10 Syracuse: Last year the Orange began the season off of everyone's radar, and ended up near the top of the heap. This year they start off getting a fair amount of respect, and are thus set up to disappoint their fans. Don't misunderstand . . . Boeheim has some players, and his zone will always win a few games he maybe should not win. But it always loses him a few too. Also, he's not going to sneak up on any of the "haves" this year, and some of the Big East "have-nots" are improved.

The above is based on the pre-season AP poll, so if you're wondering about teams ranked in the Top 10 in other polls, like Kentucky and Purdue, then that's why. In short, regarding these two, UK won't be as good as they were last year, even if the NCAA clears Enes Kanter to play, and Purdue, who was a favorite to win it all last year until Robbie Hummel went down with his injury has already lost Hummel for the season.

If you have any questions or quarrels with the above, or if you want to know about YOUR team, or if you want to know if any mid-major will be "Butler-esque" this year, or if you merely have your own to toss into the pot, please please feel free. Just like the sport itself, it's only a game, and it is supposed to be fun for one and all. Enjoy.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: College Hoops Thread '10-'11

Missouri is SEC competition????

It's going to be interesting to see what happens in the SEC this season, with the issues at UK and UT.

Looking forward to Murray State going back to the Dance again. Morehead State might ave been serious competition this year, and may still be, but I think they have some NCAA issues and consequences this season.

Which conference do you see as the most dominant this season?
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I really like Pitt this year!!
Old 11-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse64 View Post
Missouri is SEC competition????

It's going to be interesting to see what happens in the SEC this season, with the issues at UK and UT.

Looking forward to Murray State going back to the Dance again. Morehead State might ave been serious competition this year, and may still be, but I think they have some NCAA issues and consequences this season.

Which conference do you see as the most dominant this season?
Missou Tiggers are ranked #15 in both polls, which we both know don't mean jack. But only the Gators and UK are ranked above them (in the SEC), and as you note, the Wildcats have some player issues. The Vols have some too, as well as a gun-shy coach problem.

Murray State may not be one of the "name" mid-majors (Gonzaga, Xavier, Dayton, Butler, Richmond, whoever), yet they have as much a chance as anyone . . . if they come to play. And yeah, I don't remember the particulars, but Morehead does have some $#!+ going on with the NCAA. I'll see if I can pull up the particulars.

Dominant conference? Off the top of my head, I'd pick the Big Ten. Behind them, probably the Big East and Big 12, then the thinner ACC and SEC. Of course, not only does this all depend on health and performance questions (such as, will Texas EVER play to their potential?), but also how problems at schools like UK and KU will shake out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
I really like Pitt this year!!
I like Pitt almost every year, but until they actuall DO something I'm not gonna LOVE them. Hell, I ain't even old enough to remember 1941, which was their first . . . and ONLY . . . trip to the Final Four.

Speaking of underachievers like Pitt and UT, both of them help kick off the action tonight:

# 5 Pittsburgh vs. Rhode Island = The Panthers host the Rams, and should open it up in the second half. But don't expect RI to roll over and play dead. They won 26 games last year, made the semis of the NIT, and return about 10 veterans. They will come to play.

# 13 Illinois vs. UC Irvine = If this turns out to be any more than a live scrimmage for the Illini, then I might have to reassess my ranking of the Big 10. The Anteaters had a crappy team last year, and the only change of note was their canning of the coach (Pat Douglass, who won a school-record 197 games yet still lost his job) to bring in fresh blood . . . at the wrong end of the bench. I can't name a single head coach who ever hit a game-winner from the sidelines.

Maryland vs. Seattle = The Terps lose much of their best talent, and return only 6 scholarship veterans. This should be more than enough to pluck the Redhawks. Seattle wasn't bad last year, but they weren't good either . . . and likely won't be this year too.

Texas vs. Navy = This would be the most interesting game of this first night . . . if David Robinson was still a Midshipman. He ain't. The Longhorns usually don't collapse until late in the season, so I'd expect a romp in Austin. But there's something going on down there, mark my word. News is they not only are losing out on a number of future recruits they were counting upon, but their redshirt freshman guard Shawn Williams just quit the team. I guess Rich Barnes never heeded Johnny Winter's warning: "There's so much $#!+ in Texas, you're bound to step in some."

That's all on tonight. I don't expect much quality action, but it's better than no college basketball at all. Enjoy.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Morehead State might have been serious competition this year, and may still be, but I think they have some NCAA issues and consequences this season.
Yes, back at the end of August the NCAA placed Morehead State on 2 years probation for "recruiting violations related to booster activity." But their self-imposed sanctions (they ratted themselves out, which is always the best way to handle it) are not too serious. Aside from the loss of one scholarship, and a temporary reduction of recruiting days, visits, and calls, they have "a permanent ban from recruiting student athletes in all sports from the NIA school in Newark, N.J."

So, they are banned in perpetuity from Newark? Many would say that's a good thing.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

Have to agree with ya on the Newark ban . They were great competition to Murray State last season, so I expect good things from the "other" MSU this season.

Looking forward to the Maui Classic!!!
Old 11-09-2010, 04:35 PM   #7
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Have to agree with ya on the Newark ban . They were great competition to Murray State last season, so I expect good things from the "other" MSU this season.

Looking forward to the Maui Classic!!!
As a Heel, I'm looking forward to ANYTHING, after last season.

I have to begin with a retraction, and apology. Twice above I mentioned Missouri as being competitive in the SEC this year. But they could go undefeated, and still not be a factor in the SEC, since they play in the Big 12. I could make the excuse that all the conference-jumping has me confused, yet you all know I need no excuse to be confused, so that won't pan out. I might also complain that all the Tigers and Wildcats in the college zoology got me boggled. There is truth to that, but it's more due to my puzzlement as to why supposedly smart college people have so little imagination, or so small a vocabulary. Fact is, however, it was just a brain-fart on my part . . . not the first, but the first of many to follow on this thread.

Now, to the action:

# 5 Pittsburgh 83 - Rhode Island 75 = Did I not tell you that the Rams were pretty tough? Pitt had to rally from 8 down to finally fleece them, and escaped at home the first "upset" of the new season.

# 13 Illinois 79 - UC Irvine 65 = Maybe I picked the Big Ten to be the class of this year too soon. Yeah, the Illini opened up an early 42-18 lead, but the Anteaters ate much of that away. A 14-point victory is no better than "meh", especially as the game was in Champaign.

Texas 83 - Navy 52 = Now, this is more like what these "early' games should be. Playing with 4 new starters, the Longhorns had a 23-9 run shortly after the break, and this sunk the Midshipmen's battleship.

Maryland 105 - Seattle 76 = Now, this is exactly like what these games should be. Playing their first game in 4 years without Greivis Vasquez on the court, the Terps committed 29 turnovers, yet STILL ran the Redhawks right outta College Park.

There are no games scheduled for this evening, so you will have to wait until tomorrow night to . . . enjoy.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #8
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Well, it's tomorrow night, and the Coaches v. Cancer games continue with:

# 5 Pittsburgh vs. Ill. Chicago = And that's what I'd expect, too . . . ill Chicago. I don't care how many suicides new coach Howard Ryan had his Flames run up that hill by Soldier's Field, the Panthers won't care what condition their condition is in. Pitt got it's scare against Rhode Island, and should be focused enough to blow out the Flames, windsprints be damned.

# 13 Illinois vs. Toledo = Speaking of flameouts, the Rockets went 11-53 the last two seasons. I don't care how hard their new coach Todd Kowalczyk has worked his team, he is not THAT Coach K, and doesn't have that personnel. The Illini should prevail, big.

Maryland vs. Charleston = OK, we may have us a game here. I'm not going to pick the Cougars over the Terps, but Charleston has some players, and Bobby Cremins ain't afraid to play an ACC team. If the Terps are as sloppy with the ball as they were in their opener, this could be a scare . . . or an upset.

Texas vs. Louisiana Tech = The Bulldogs won their twenty the last two years, but they lost the better part of that team. They will also lose their first of this season in Austin tonight.

Tomorrow is another "off" night, but Friday will have a ton, a TON, of games. Some of them might even be good. Until then, then, enjoy.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #9
DocLogic77
Feeling at Home

First Name: Shawn
Partagas
DocLogic77 is on a distinguished road

Being a Buckeye fan I'm excited about the upcoming season. We have some leadership back and some very special freshmen. But, I'm not sure they have enough beef in the middle to contend with some of the more physical teams. It should be a great season though.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #10
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Damn...Pitt barely got my Rhode Island. Here we go again.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:46 PM   #11
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocLogic77 View Post
Being a Buckeye fan I'm excited about the upcoming season. We have some leadership back and some very special freshmen. But, I'm not sure they have enough beef in the middle to contend with some of the more physical teams. It should be a great season though.
I could see OSU making some noise this year. And though beef down low is important for defense and boarding, the college game is often more one of guards and wings. It will be interesting to see how this team develops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Damn...Pitt barely got by Rhode Island. Here we go again.
Well, Mac I told you . . . twice even. First, I said that Pitt has never fully proven themselves to me, as there is a big difference between "good" and "great". Then, I flat-out said that Rhode Island is one feisty herd of Rams, and not some meek flock of sheep to be fleeced. But last night's game should make you feel a bit better:

# 5 Pittsburgh 97 - Ill. Chicago 54 = If you didn't see this spanking coming, you're not paying attention. It does not take a "great" team, but only a "good" one, to respond to a scare by stomping the next David that shows up in Goliath's gym.

But it wasn't a completely lost night for the state of Illinois:

# 13 Illinois 84 - Toledo 45 = This is more like the whipping the Illini should have handed out to UC Irvine in their opener, yet it still don't mean jack. We'll have to wait a few weeks to see what they have, after they visit Texas, host North Carolina, then go see Gonzaga. That may tell you something.

Speaking of Texas:

Texas 89 - Louisiana Tech 58 = Once again, you can't say I didn't warn you. This game, as well as the previous two, were in the books before the tip-off. Maybe had it been the ladies playing instead, it might have been a better game. But the Longhorns don't lose games like this one . . . they normally wait until they actually count.

And just to prove to you that I'm not totally clueless on the subject of college basketball:

Maryland 75 - Charleston 74 = Heeheeheeheehee. And Maryland had to come back for this, since they were down by 8 with 8 to play. I knew . . . I KNEW! . . . Charleston would give the Terps fits. People outside the South may not know these boys, but they should be looked at the same way Gonzaga on the other coast is considered. No, the won't ever win a National Championship, but they don't mind one bit beating one every now and then. This is a good program, and Bobby Cremins is at least as good a coach as is Gary Williams.

There are no games this evening, but I might be back a bit later to start the preview of Friday's marathon early madness. One way or the other . . . enjoy.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #12
tchariya
Taters of the lost Ark

Trading: (13)
RG
tchariya will become famous soon enoughtchariya will become famous soon enough

Scary what Bruce Weber landed as a recruiting class for the Fighting Illini during this past weekend.
tchariya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #13
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchariya View Post
Scary what Bruce Weber landed as a recruiting class for the Fighting Illini during this past weekend.
I looked for a "smilie" that said "THIS POST IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT NAMES", but I couldn't find one. Give me a few of them, and I'll tell you if it scares me too. Regardless, I don't think they'll win Illinois many games THIS year.

Being early in the season, it is hard to tell what games have meaning, and which are meaningless. Hey, are you gonna tell me you foresaw the seasons Butler and Northern Iowa had last year . . . or the season U. Conn or my Tar Heels did? So I'm going to give a quick rundown now of the contests involving ranked teams tomorrow, then try to go back later to pick out a few that . . . at the least . . interest me.

As for "Name Games", we'll have:

# 2 Michigan State vs. Eastern Michigan = An in-state battle that won't be much of one.

# 3 Kansas State vs. James Madison = In past years, JMU may have given K-State a game. This is not a past year.

# 4 Ohio State vs. N.C. A&T = Do you really have to wonder?

# 6 Villanova vs. Bucknell = Were this one of those scholar's College Bowls, we'd have a contest. But as it's not in the boardroom, but on the hardwood, we won't.

# 7 Kansas vs. Longwood = It seems the Jayhawks still won't have Josh Selby for this game. They won't need him, either.

# 8 North Carolina vs. Lipscomb = The Heels should be better this season. They won't have to be to win this one.

# 9 Florida vs. N.C. Wilmington = Off the top of my head, I could name a dozen teams from the Old North State who could give the Gators a better test.

# 10 Syracuse vs. Northern Iowa = Were this last year's NI team, this would be interesting, with their tough man-to-man pitted against the Orange zone. But this isn't last year's Northern Iowa team. Yet it ain't last year's 'Cuse team either. This could be half a game, for a half or so.

# 11 Kentucky vs. East Tennessee State = This shouldn't be half a game after the first ten minutes, even if Enes isn't "freed" . . . or if somebody else isn't "bought" on his behalf.

# 12 Gonzaga vs. Southern = The Zags are much too cocky for their own good, and will likely never be as good as they think they are. But they don't lose games like this one.

# 16 Baylor vs. Grambling State = The Bears had, for them, a phenomenal season last year. I don't expect this one to be better, but it won't get worse with this type of competition.

# 19 Memphis vs. Centenary = And by contrast, the Tigers had a "bad" season in the C-USA, at least by their normal standards. If their young talent, and young coach, are as good as their reputations, they will start their turnaround with a total walkover.

# 20 Georgetown vs. Old Dominion = Hmmmmmm. HMMMMMMMMM! Now, wait a second here. Could we actually have a real game here? The Hoyas have not been world-beaters in recent years, and the Monarchs were pretty damn good last year . . . and might even be better this one. If you only have time to watch one game tomorrow, this could be the one to pick.

# 21 Virginia Tech vs. Campbell = And this might be the one to skip. No, the Hokies ain't that great, and the Camels ain't that bad, but thing is . . . who cares?

# 22 Temple vs Seton Hall = The Owls have a decided edge here, and would even IF the Pirates hadn't had such a soap-opera going on the last few months. Next year, or maybe the next, and this could be more fun. This year, I'd expect the Hall to play as though lost . . . spelled with a LOT of "L"'s.

# 23 Tennessee vs. Chattanooga = And speaking of soap-operas, the Vols have had their share too. As for the Mocs, they may be better than they were, and could hang for a good part of this match-up. But just because they are not the "Mocks" does not mean they can win in Knoxville.

# 24 BYU vs. Fresno State = BYU is another of those teams I refuse to bvelieve in, until they prove me otherwise. Fresno State lost some key players from last year's squad, but still have a pretty decent team. It would not shock me if the Cougars and the Bulldogs have a real fight here.

So this is a quick breakdown of the "haves", and tomorrow I hope to get back to you about the "have-less". As for the "hapless" . . . well, you're reading his post now. Enjoy.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #14
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

Speaking of Rhode Island, I remember a Murray State team that played them in Round 1 of the Dance several years back. One of MSU's better teams, led by future pro Marcus Brown. Jim Harrick's team tore them apart in the 2nd half, as MSU choked and started playing street ball instead of good, team B'ball. Where is Harrick these days anyway? Scandals ran him out of a couple of place, I remember, but have not heard of him in a few years now, or his son.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #15
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Speaking of Rhode Island, I remember a Murray State team that played them in Round 1 of the Dance several years back. One of MSU's better teams, led by future pro Marcus Brown. Jim Harrick's team tore them apart in the 2nd half, as MSU choked and started playing street ball instead of good, team B'ball. Where is Harrick these days anyway? Scandals ran him out of a couple of place, I remember, but have not heard of him in a few years now, or his son.
According to Wikipedia, Harrick Sr. is now an analyst for Prime Ticket, a Southern California affiliate of Faux Sports Net. As for Junior, I don't know what he's up to, after he followed in his father's footsteps by getting booted out of Georgia for cheating and lying . . . like daddy did both there and earlier at UCLA.

And speaking of cheating and lying, it's time for me to pick my first 'Cat-fight with the Kentucky fans. The NCAA has decided that Enes Kanter will NOT be allowed to play for UK, due to his receipt of pay and benefits from a Turkish pro team over the previous two years. Calipari is not happy, and Kentucky will appeal this decision . . . naturally. As we all know, the only thing that matters in Lexington is winning, not how it is done.

If these dang customers stop coming in, nickel-and-diming me to death, I'll be back with a post on other action tonight.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #16
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Before I'm damned for being unfair, let me point out that UK is not the only team starting the season with a "problem" player on/off the roster. Aside from Josh Selby at Kansas (academics), Georgetown's freshman center Moses Ayegba will miss the first 9 games because someone who was NOT a family member bought him a ticket from Nigeria to the US years ago, before he started high school here, and well before the Hoyas recruited him. John Thompson III is not happy that the NCAA rejected his appeal, yet though he has more reason to be upset than does Calipari, this John is moving on. Also in the Big East, Villanova freshman forward JayVaughn Pinkston will not be allowed to play, at the school's discretion, until his recent problem with assault charges are resolved. And Minnesota junior guard Devoe Joseph was suspended for violation of team rules.

It should be no surprise how hard it is to predict what team will be good and which games will be important this early in the season. Even considering only the supposedly best teams, it's dollars to donuts that at least a dozen of the pre-season Top 25 will drop out of the ranks at some point this year. Hey, it ain't rocket science, since that is based upon certain immutable priciples of physics, and can be predicted to a large extent. One is better served by channelling Socrates, and admitting that you know you do not know. This all being a given, let me share with you a few of tonight's games outside the rankings which interest me:

At this moment, with 5 minutes left, Gardner-Webb holds a 6-point lead over UNC-Charlotte. If this is any indication, the 49ers might be 86ers this year.

Virginia vs. William & Mary = As with many of these games, neither team is either bad nor good. And that's what may make it fun.

Princeton vs. Rutgers = The Battle of New Jersey . . . for what it's worth.

N.C. State vs. Tennessee Tech = My interest here is based more on what the Wolfpack may have this year. Lowe managed to snag a few good recruits, and they could be a factor in the middle of the ACC . . . though I doubt if they'll reach the summit.

Xavier vs. Western Michigan = The X-men have a consistently good program, so I'm always curious about how they play.

Miami vs. Jacksonville = And here's one of those proto-typical "so-so" match-ups that can lead to a real barn-burner.

St. Joseph's vs. Western Kentucky = Any old-timer like me would like to see the Hawks flying high again, after last year's broken-wing flop. They are supposed to have a few good additions, and this will be a decent early test.

Tulsa vs. App. State = Here again, two who may both come to play.

So, there you have some of my picks. Feel free to post your own, and . . . enjoy.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:38 PM   #17
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Well, Gardner-Webb DID beat Charlotte, 78-70. Also, Kent State and Iona are in a 1-point struggle, with just under 8 minutes to go.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #18
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

Gotta say, as much as I despise the Hoyas, they should have won their appeal for that player. That sucks!!!!

As for the Cats, I figured they were stretching it on Enes, but it would have been nice to have had him.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #19
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Gotta say, as much as I despise the Hoyas, they should have won their appeal for that player. That sucks!!!!

As for the Cats, I figured they were stretching it on Enes, but it would have been nice to have had him.
Personally, I'm a stickler for the rules, and though I do agree that the Hoyas got screwed a bit, it is what it is. Man up, suck it up, and move along. Just my , and worth every penny.

Gotta say, as much as I confess my dislike the Wildcats, I'm of one and a half minds about Enes. A part of me feels bad for the young man, yet he made his bed, thus has no reason to complain if it has lumps. As for UK, they can't in all honesty expect me to believe they did not know what Kanter was doing the last 2 years, so any defense of ignorance or unfairness falls on deaf ears. Hell, we're not talking about a "Jim Thorpe" situation here. Yet once again, just my .

Once I get a little work done, I'll be back to review yesterday's action, and preview some of this weekend's.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #20
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Most of Friday's action were the blowouts one would expect this time of year, what with the big boys holding scrimmages against the also-rans, and never-rans, of college ball, but I did find a baker's dozen of notable scores:

# 3 Kansas State 75 - James Madison 61 = Yes, it's a win. Yes, it's double-digits. But for a program with "national" aspirations, it is not much of a statement . . . or at least, a POSITIVE one.

# 8 North Carolina 80 - Lipscomb 66 = Ditto. Highly-touted (or hyped, if you prefer) freshman Harrison Barnes had a better game than he did in his exhibition debut against Div. II Barton, but the Heels could not shake the pesky Bisons until late . . . and that's no bull.

# 9 Florida 70 - N.C. Wilmington 60 = Dit-3. If Billy Donovan plans to shake up the SEC this year, he needs his boys to do better than this.

# 20 Georgetown 62 - Old Dominion 59 = I had a feeling this would be one hell of a game. ODU had 2 leads of 8 points in the second half, and the Hoyas needed a 13-2 run to swipe one from the Monarchs.

# 21 Virginia Tech 70 - Campbell 60 = And we're back to the "no damn good excuse for this" catagory. A 10-point win against the depleted Camels? In Blacksburg? Please.

# 22 Temple 62 - Seton Hall 56 = So, here's the cream of the A-10 against the dregs of the Big East, and in Philly to boot. Not a good sign for the Owls.

Amongst the unranked (as of today, anyway):

N.C. Asheville 70 - Auburn 69 (OT) = It's a bit of a shock to me. Hey, I realize Auburn's not the hoops program it used to be, but . . . c'mon.

Georgia 72 - Miss. Valley State 70 = Speaking of the SEC, aren't the Bulldogs supposed to be a darkhorse in the conference? If this is any judge, not likely.

Kent State 73 - Iona 72 = I noted late yesterday that these two decent mid-majors were in a barn-burner. Seems like it burned to the ground.

Princeton 78 - Rutgers 73 = The Tigers are supposed to compete for the Ivy this year. The Scarlet Knights are supposed to improve, next year. So, no surprise here . . . but still. Yes, it's early, but so far the Big East hasn't been all that big.

Stetson 89 - Wake Forest 79 = Nor is this much of a statement for the ACC. Everybody predicted the Deacs would not be very demonic this year, but . . . sheesh!

Appalachian State 89 - Tulsa 86 = So, Asheville won in Alabama, and the boys from Boone won in Oklahoma. There's a party in those hills today! Ya-HOOOOOO! Mountain Do-It-To-You!

Xavier 68 - Western MIchigan 65 = The Musketeers should have ridden the rebuilding Broncos right out of the gym, yet needed a big 2nd half to nudge them out the exit. This, as well as many of the above scores, makes me wonder if it is just because it's early, or if this season will be one confusing cluster-fark.

There are a goodly number of games today, but few of them seem interesting. For instance, who really cares, one way or the other, that Buffalo has already stomped Navy, 88-46? But I'll take another look through them, and be back later with some selections . . . with emphasis NOT on the "select" part of that word.