Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 10-10-2010, 12:48 AM   #1
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default So I picked up a cooler

This one
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Xt...ooler/14574678

Can someone give me a link to shilala's beads, and tell me how much to buy for 120 quarts.

Thanks
-Bill
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:47 AM   #2
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough
Default Re: So I picked up a cooler

http://www.hcmcigarbeads.com/

Product in Inches (L x W x H): 39.0 x 19.0 x 19.0

Volume = 14079 Cu. Inches

Beads Needed = 26.1 Ounces
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:53 AM   #3
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Wow those beads are much pricier then heartfelt.....

I'd need 4 bags of 8 ounces = $100

Heartfelt 2 pounds = $62 +2X bags = $70

Looks like I'm going heartfelt.

Thanks though. This coolidor idea is going to work out great.

EDIT wait a minute....since it looks like I'd be dropping $70-100 in beads wouldn't electronic humidification be better?

Last edited by Bill86; 10-10-2010 at 01:58 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:03 AM   #4
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

No need for active humidification in a cooler. Two pounds of beads should give you many years of hassle free storage. I use 65% Heartfelt beads in my coolers and Vinotemps.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:12 AM   #5
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

You could use a couple of water pillows. I use one pillow in each of my 77qt coolers. I recharge them every 3-4 months (if needed). Hassle free and cost is a whoping $1. Steady 65%

Old 10-10-2010, 02:26 AM   #6
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
No need for active humidification in a cooler. Two pounds of beads should give you many years of hassle free storage. I use 65% Heartfelt beads in my coolers and Vinotemps.
I was looking at the fact of $70 for heartfelt beads + $20 digital hygro is the same price as a Hydra SM which dials in the humidity so I wouldn't really need a hygro, could always move the one from my smaller humidor if I wanted to. Then if I ever got a small cabinet I'd have a hydra already. So I guess what I'm wondering is would it work? Save me a bit of $$$ in the long run, or am I crazy...probably crazy, maybe drunk.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:45 AM   #7
smelvis
Not part of the Clique

Trading: (16)
smelvis has disabled reputation

IMHO
You need fewer beads in coolers than the normal calculations call for complete seals confirm this and they also go forever without recharging. pretty much a great way to store cigars. Not as purty as my wood humidors but boy do they work well.

Dave
smelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #8
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Yeah I was just looking at space to $$$ ratio. That and it seems you getting shipping raped with any cabinet. Coolers are readily available at walmart for like $55 after taxes.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
gijoey959

I use a $5 little "jar" of humidity gel or whatever it is, it says crystals on the outside, but its gel. That is paired with a couple empty cigar boxes and the wood from a bunch of wood from some tubos, and I use an analog that I got before I got a cheapo digital from walmart, and both constantly read 65%

total to humidify probably cost me about $15
Old 10-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #10
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

I'm running 1lbs of beads (65%) in each 120qt cooler and it's enough.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #11
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough

Go kitty litter, a 4lb bottle of Exquisicat Crystals cost around $12 at Petsmart. Keeps my humi and cooledor right around 65 rh
Old 10-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #12
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
I was looking at the fact of $70 for heartfelt beads + $20 digital hygro is the same price as a Hydra SM which dials in the humidity so I wouldn't really need a hygro, could always move the one from my smaller humidor if I wanted to. Then if I ever got a small cabinet I'd have a hydra already. So I guess what I'm wondering is would it work? Save me a bit of $$$ in the long run, or am I crazy...probably crazy, maybe drunk.

Active humidifier in a sealed plastic box (cooler) is just begging for problems unless you like things really moist or you happen to be in and out of there a lot. In which case, you probably would have to deal with condensation near the outlet of the humidifier. Great if you like your cigars stored in a swamp.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:40 PM   #13
lostark374
Framed

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (5)
ERdM
lostark374 has disabled reputation

two cases of budwiser and a couple bags of ice and your all set no beads needed.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #14
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostark374 View Post
two cases of budwiser and a couple bags of ice and your all set no beads needed.
I'll pass on the budweiser, but raise you a case of dogfish head or stones.

Got ya T.G I'll be ordering 2lbs of beads soon enough. I'm going to wash out the cooler first though. My allergies got my nose completely plugged but I'll bet theres at least a little plastic smell in there.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:53 PM   #15
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Active humidifier in a sealed plastic box (cooler) is just begging for problems unless you like things really moist or you happen to be in and out of there a lot. In which case, you probably would have to deal with condensation near the outlet of the humidifier. Great if you like your cigars stored in a swamp.
Adam is correct, plus active humidifiers can drive the temperature in the cooler up. All-in-all, a bad combination for your cigars.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:31 PM   #16
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Alright the coolers got 2 pounds of heartfelt beads in there now. Should be enough oddly enough the humidity is never rock solid 65% RH. Chilling at 61 RH now....we'll see how this goes. Either way my setup is good to go. Now I can store another 30 or so boxes .
Old 10-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #17
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Alright the coolers got 2 pounds of heartfelt beads in there now. Should be enough oddly enough the humidity is never rock solid 65% RH. Chilling at 61 RH now....we'll see how this goes. Either way my setup is good to go. Now I can store another 30 or so boxes .
If you can get empty boxes from your B&M, put them in there until you can get full boxes. They will help stabilize the humidity and you can use them for singles storage as well. Non-varnished cabs(LFD, Tatuaje, etc) work the best, but even regular dress boxes will help. Trust in the beads, I rarely look at my hygrometers.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #18
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Got ya brother that was my guess, that there was just a bunch of empty space, I only got 5 boxes in there now. There's 3 more boxes on the way I'll look into those non varnished cabs. Thanks again bob, the cooler idea is awesome. Except for my entire close now is humidors which isn't a bad thing.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #19
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Save the cedar sheets from boxes to put in there too.Not only will it help stabilize the humidity but the cooler will smell like a cabinet when you open it.
After time of course

I love coolers!
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #20
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Anyone know where you can get a 150qt cooler with the ridges on the inside? Our walmarts both only have 50ish qt igloo's with the ridges, and the Sam's Club here has 150qt Igloo's with ridges that only extend a few inches.

I would love to find one so I can make a coolidor and add shelving.

Sorry to hijack btw...
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote