Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 03-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #101
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road
Default Re: nice rums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Thoughts on Montecristo???

I enjoyed the Silver a lot!!!
Never had it, but it comes from the same distillery as Zacapa and the original Zaya, probably a good indicator of quality.
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:05 PM   #102
CgarWyzrd
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
CgarWyzrd is on a distinguished road

The best I have tasted is the Havana Club Barrel Proof.
CgarWyzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:15 AM   #103
romwarrior
Feeling at Home

First Name: Brett
Trading: (19)
Cohiba
romwarrior is on a distinguished road

Went by Hi Time Wines today and grabbed a bottle of Zaya (Trinidad) and Zacapa 23. My first of either of these. Had the Zaya tonight with a Monte Edmundo. Boy, the Zaya is a vanilla-fest. It had a tag on it saying "The world's best sipping rum." Maybe so, but the truth is that to me the vanilla overpowered everything else. It reminded me of a vanilla rum my uncle used to drink in his rum and Coke. I will probably not have Zaya while smoking. It probably is a great sipping rum, just not with cigars, at least for me. Of course if you like vanilla then the Zaya would be right up your alley.

I did try the Zacapa 23 afterwards. Now that is more like it. So smooth and much more to my tastes. I am definitely no rum expert, but it was no contest. Zacapa 23 by a mile.
romwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:06 AM   #104
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

Zacapa 23 is my favorite by far. I also like Pyrat XO - its made by the same people who make Patron Tequila.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #105
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Pyrat XO I liked at first, however, now I taste so much orange in it that it's like I'm drinking Gran Marnea (sp?).

Now Cask 13 is a whole nother story.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #106
romwarrior
Feeling at Home

Cohiba

Yeah, I think Pyrat is very similar to Zaya in the sense that it has one dominant flavor. Except with Pyrat, orange is the dominant flavor instead of vanilla. But I don't think the orange is quite as overpowering in Pyrat as the vanilla is in Zaya so I like it much better. Either way, I like the overall balance of Zacapa 23 over both.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:43 AM   #107
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by romwarrior View Post
Went by Hi Time Wines today and grabbed a bottle of Zaya (Trinidad) and Zacapa 23. My first of either of these. Had the Zaya tonight with a Monte Edmundo. Boy, the Zaya is a vanilla-fest. It had a tag on it saying "The world's best sipping rum." Maybe so, but the truth is that to me the vanilla overpowered everything else. It reminded me of a vanilla rum my uncle used to drink in his rum and Coke. I will probably not have Zaya while smoking. It probably is a great sipping rum, just not with cigars, at least for me. Of course if you like vanilla then the Zaya would be right up your alley.

I did try the Zacapa 23 afterwards. Now that is more like it. So smooth and much more to my tastes. I am definitely no rum expert, but it was no contest. Zacapa 23 by a mile.
Trinidad Zaya sucks compared to the old stuff from Guatemala. I've had them side by side, and I don't notice the vanilla anywhere near as much in the Guat version, which is also appreciably smoother than the Trinidad version. I'm very disappointed with how they screwed up this once top notch rum.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #108
che g.

I have a rum question for you rum aficinados. I am about to have a friend (over seas) sending me a bottle of zacapa 23 (not avileble her), the cost (shipping included) would be the same as a bottle of el dorado 15 would cost me at the shop her at home.. It seems that both the zacapa and the el dorado are nice rums when reading your posts. Should I go for the zacapa (with the extra hassle with overseas shipping) or would the el dorado be a as good choice as the zacapa?
The plan is that he would send me a bottle of Elmer T. Lee bourbon at the same time. For thoose of you that also like bourbon, is this a good choice, given the price?
Thanks (in)mates
Old 04-27-2009, 01:38 PM   #109
romwarrior
Feeling at Home

Cohiba

To me, the Zacapa 23 would be worth the trouble. But I am not an aficionado nor have I ever had the El Dorado. The Zacapa 23 is GOOD. Not only does it put the other rums I've had to shame (which, admittedly, is not a ton), it puts many other spirits to shame. While I like variety, I find myself constantly wishing I had poured the 23 whenever I have something else.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:38 PM   #110
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CgarWyzrd View Post
The best I have tasted is the Havana Club Barrel Proof.
I just got a bottle of this last month. I haven't cracked it open yet, but I sure am looking forward to it.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #111
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
Picked up a few bottles recently. I just bought a bottle of Pyrat XO, another bottle of Zacapa 23, and am waiting on 3 bottles of Guatemalan Zaya from a brother on here.
I've heard Pyrat is RANK!
Old 04-27-2009, 02:56 PM   #112
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
I've heard Pyrat is RANK!
I've heard the Pyrat Cask 23 is actually quite good. But at $240.00 a bottle, the term "good" becomes very subjective.

Review:
http://scottesrum.com/category/all-r...pyrat-cask-23/

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #113
Cyanide

Does that mean I have no class if I like Pyrat XO Reserve quite a bit? Its currently my top rum. I recently picked up a bottle of Appletons Master Blenders Legacy I think....its 30 yrs old. But, for a $100 CDN bottle of rum, it wasn't as good as I was expecting.

That said, I was introduced to Legendario Elixur recently. When I find that, it will spend some time as the TOPS for me.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #114
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
I've heard the Pyrat Cask 23 is actually quite good. But at $240.00 a bottle, the term "good" becomes very subjective.

Review:
http://scottesrum.com/category/all-r...pyrat-cask-23/
Cask 23 is very good, much different than the XO.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:21 PM   #115
poker

Cohiba

Who implied you had no class? I didn't see that.

Like cigars, taste in rums can be very subjective from person to person. Drink what you enjoy!

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Old 04-28-2009, 08:53 AM   #116
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

My wife recently gave me a bottle of this, Vizcaya VXOP Cask No. 21. I had never heard of it before and she was turned on to it by one of the guys where I normally buy my rums. It is agricole, made from pure sugar cane and fermented in old oak bourbon barrrels. I like it. It has some spice up front and plenty of the sweetness on the finish that I like, others may not like as much, in a sipping rum. I'll give it a thumbs up and will buy it again.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:47 AM   #117
Cyanide

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
Who implied you had no class? I didn't see that.

Like cigars, taste in rums can be very subjective from person to person. Drink what you enjoy!
I didn't take any offense, I was just turning his argument into a "straw man" for purposes of having fun.

Cheers

John
Old 04-28-2009, 11:52 AM   #118
poker

Cohiba

Silly Canadians

Old 05-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #119
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by che g. View Post
I have a rum question for you rum aficinados. I am about to have a friend (over seas) sending me a bottle of zacapa 23 (not avileble her), the cost (shipping included) would be the same as a bottle of el dorado 15 would cost me at the shop her at home.. It seems that both the zacapa and the el dorado are nice rums when reading your posts. Should I go for the zacapa (with the extra hassle with overseas shipping) or would the el dorado be a as good choice as the zacapa?
The plan is that he would send me a bottle of Elmer T. Lee bourbon at the same time. For thoose of you that also like bourbon, is this a good choice, given the price?
Thanks (in)mates
Haven't had the Zacapa, but I've had a couple bottles of El Dorado 12, and do like that a bit. There is not a lot of difference between the 12 and the 15, at least not that I had tasted, so either would be a good investment, IMO.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:51 PM   #120
Wondering Nomad
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Wondering Nomad is on a distinguished road

I'm very new to the rum scene (within the past month) and have been drinking a fair amount of Flor de Cana 7, 10 Cane, and Pyrat XO. Can anybody tell me how Pyrat Pistol differs from the XO?

I'm very excited that I've "found" something new to drink. My bank account does not feel the same.

Last edited by Wondering Nomad; 05-10-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Wondering Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote