Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 10-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #781
jjmitchem
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jim "Chappy"
Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
jjmitchem will become famous soon enoughjjmitchem will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

I've got a couple of questions about pipe tobacco

#1. Where do the blends, the ones in the big glass jars in my B&M, come from? Can make note of the blend and find it at other places? Might be a dumb question but pipe tobacos seem a whole lot more complicated than cigars

#2. I like med to full cigars, mainly because I find the mild cigars to not have much flavor and all I taste is smoke. So far I have tried Carter Hall and Prince Albert in my MM Cobb and I really like that they both seem mild to me but still have great flavor- which is what I was hoping for- great flavor without the overload like a full bodied cigar.
What other types of pipe tobaco should I look to try?

#3. Aromatics - I love the smell of them but I have not smoked one yet. I don't like infused cigars like the acids so does that mean I will not like aromatics? Or are they completely different?
I was thinking about picking up a tin of CAO
Old 10-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #782
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

#1. Where do the blends, the ones in the big glass jars in my B&M, come from? Can make note of the blend and find it at other places? Might be a dumb question but pipe tobacos seem a whole lot more complicated than cigars

Who knows... It's common practice for B&Ms to order bulk in gigantic bags from Altadis, Lane, Stokkebye and others, and then give them names that are unique to that shop. You could ask but they may or may not tell you what it actually is.

#2. I like med to full cigars, mainly because I find the mild cigars to not have much flavor and all I taste is smoke. So far I have tried Carter Hall and Prince Albert in my MM Cobb and I really like that they both seem mild to me but still have great flavor- which is what I was hoping for- great flavor without the overload like a full bodied cigar.

PA and Carter Hall are both burley blends. Most Burley is used as a base for aromatic blends due to their mild flavor and low sugar content. Cornell & Diehl has quite a few burley based blends that you may enjoy. Virgina is also a lighter leaf, but has a higher nicotine content and higher sugar content. The higher sugar content can burn your tongue if you over puff, but if you keep the temp low virginia blends give you a great sweet flavor.

#3. Aromatics - I love the smell of them but I have not smoked one yet. I don't like infused cigars like the acids so does that mean I will not like aromatics? Or are they completely different?

You'll have to experience them for yourself. Most aromatic blends do not taste the way they smell, and some cheaper ones are so heavily cased they don't smoke well either. There are good aros from blenders like Boswell's C&D, CAO, Samuel Gawith, and Gawith Hoggarth but they still tend to be lighter in flavor.

Most pipe smokers don't tend to turn their noses up about aromatic blends the way cigar smokers do. Maybe we're wussies, or maybe we're not as snobby. You'll have to see for yourself.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #783
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post

Who knows... It's common practice for B&Ms to order bulk in gigantic bags from Altadis, Lane, Stokkebye and others, and then give them names that are unique to that shop. You could ask but they may or may not tell you what it actually is.

What he said.

PA and Carter Hall are both burley blends. Most Burley is used as a base for aromatic blends due to their mild flavor and low sugar content. Cornell & Diehl has quite a few burley based blends that you may enjoy. Virgina is also a lighter leaf, but has a higher nicotine content and higher sugar content. The higher sugar content can burn your tongue if you over puff, but if you keep the temp low virginia blends give you a great sweet flavor.

Virginias can bite, if puffed to fast. But, they are the most wonderful of flavors as they are naturally sweet. VaPers (Virginia blends w/Perique) are my also wonderful as the Perique provides a fruity essence to the blend, often recognized as a raisin or prune overtone. These are my personal favorites. They a both best if you "sip" them in smoking them.

You'll have to experience them for yourself. Most aromatic blends do not taste the way they smell, and some cheaper ones are so heavily cased they don't smoke well either. There are good aros from blenders like Boswell's C&D, CAO, Samuel Gawith, and Gawith Hoggarth but they still tend to be lighter in flavor.

Most pipe smokers don't tend to turn their noses up about aromatic blends the way cigar smokers do. Maybe we're wussies, or maybe we're not as snobby. You'll have to see for yourself.
I personally do not like aromatics that are done with a heavy hand and lots of PG, unfortunately that is is most aromatics. They smell great in the bag/tin, and may have a great room note, but they rarely deliver to the smoker. Also, in many cases, the flavoring is often used to cover a multitude of sins (meaning substandard tobacco to begin with). Cornel & Diehl produce some of my favorite aromatics because they using nothing but H2O as a humcant, and their flavoring come through in taste as well as room note - and they use the same quality tobacco in their aromatics as in their other tobaccos. Of course, that's simply my opinion. I mostly smoke VaPers, then straight Virginias, and then English blends. I do throw in an occasional aromatic, but it is very rare.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #784
jjmitchem
Adjusting to the Life

Army (Active)
jjmitchem will become famous soon enoughjjmitchem will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys

How do you know if it is an aromatic if it isn't labeled as such - obviously the CAOs are because of my experience with the cigars of the same names but what about something like Peterson's Irish Whiskey - is it just the obvious answer - this is an aromatic because it has been flavored with whisky?
Old 10-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #785
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmitchem View Post
Thanks guys

How do you know if it is an aromatic if it isn't labeled as such - obviously the CAOs are because of my experience with the cigars of the same names but what about something like Peterson's Irish Whiskey - is it just the obvious answer - this is an aromatic because it has been flavored with whisky?
Yes, that one is obvious, for the reason you stated - it is acknowledged in the name. Other aromatics will also be described as having some sort of flavoring added to it. Oftentimes, you can tell by the aroma of the tobacco in the tin/bag, it will obviously smell of something added to the tobacco. While some tobaccos will have an ephemeral smell of citrus, coffee, cocoa, etc... in aromatics, it will be apparent that something was added. Take the time to read as well, for often it will be noted in the description.

As a couple examples:

Dan Blue Note Mild, Golden Virginias which possess a naturally high sweetness, are mixed with a very mild Black Cavendish. These tobaccos are aged for weeks together in a pressed cake. A fresh flavor with essences of exotic fruits and a touch of Bourbon Vanilla is added to make this an extraordinarily mild blend.

Dan Malthouse Founders Reserve This blend is named after the venerable former malthouse in which the tobacco is prepared. The Malthouse is a superb mixture of provincial Virginia tobaccos that are infused with Scottish Single Malt Whiskey.

Cornell & Diehl Blockade Runner A true Navy Cavendish crumble cake made with hand stoved red Virginia and golden Virginia and soaked in a premium rum for seven days, then lightly stoved again, pressed and cut.

Cornell & Diehl Cross-eyed Cricket This has a base of unsweetened black Cavendish with Turkish, Latakia and Perique, enclosed in a light rum punch flavor. Is this an English or aromatic blend? You decide. (Obviously, an English by the blend of tobaccos, but turned into an aromatic by the adding of the "flavor.")

Gawith & Hoggarth Bob's Chocolate Flake Loved by pipe smokers from all corners of the globe. A medium flake with a small amount of Latakia blended to give this tobacco its unique character. The cocoa and vanilla casings enhance the flavor of this popular flake. (Even if you didn't know by the name, it has added "casings" to enhance the flavor. This one is done in a very tasteful way and is an excellent aromatic, but an aromatic nontheless.)

Hope this helps.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Last edited by RevSmoke; 10-24-2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: spelling error
RevSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:23 PM   #786
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Thanks guys

Peterson's Irish Whiskey is just about the only aromatic I smoke with any regularity. I never got the Whiskey flavor the name implies, but the tin always smelled like christmas to me(namely, smelled of fruitcake), and burned wonderfully while not being overly sweet.

And correct me if I'm wrong Rev, but aren't true English blends allowed one flavor while not being considered aromatic? IIRC, the whole distinction of an English tobacco came from the English monarchy getting angry over too many unsafe chemicals being added to tobaccos, so they banned any tobaccos with more than one flavor.

A quick google search pops this up:
http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe...e-in-the-same/
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #787
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
Peterson's Irish Whiskey is just about the only aromatic I smoke with any regularity. I never got the Whiskey flavor the name implies, but the tin always smelled like christmas to me(namely, smelled of fruitcake), and burned wonderfully while not being overly sweet.

And correct me if I'm wrong Rev, but aren't true English blends allowed one flavor while not being considered aromatic? IIRC, the whole distinction of an English tobacco came from the English monarchy getting angry over too many unsafe chemicals being added to tobaccos, so they banned any tobaccos with more than one flavor.

A quick google search pops this up:
http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe...e-in-the-same/
Actually, I do not think I called anything and English blend. That term was only used in the description by C&d in which THEY called Cross-Eyed Cricket an English blend "enclosed" with a rum punch flavor.

Ooops, I go back to another post and there mention "English" blends. My bad. Yes, I am a good American and sometimes slip into that mode of calling blends with Latakia in them, English blends. It is a bad habit. Forgive me.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #788
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Actually, I do not think I called anything and English blend. That term was only used in the description by C&d in which THEY called Cross-Eyed Cricket an English blend "enclosed" with a rum punch flavor.

Ooops, I go back to another post and there mention "English" blends. My bad. Yes, I am a good American and sometimes slip into that mode of calling blends with Latakia in them, English blends. It is a bad habit. Forgive me.

No problem, wasn't trying to call you out or anything. Was just sorta thinking aloud if you will. Just wanted to make sure my info was correct.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #789
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
No problem, wasn't trying to call you out or anything. Was just sorta thinking aloud if you will. Just wanted to make sure my info was correct.
If I might, here are my sort of categories:
Aromatics (anything with a flavoring attached)
Burley blends (straight up burley or where burley is over 50% of the blend, other constituent tobaccos [VAs, Orientals, Burley, Cavendish, etc... but w/out casings/flavors/topnotes] may be added)
Virginias (no other types added)
VaPers (only Virginias and Perique)
Latakia blends (Latakia w/other constituent tobaccos)
Oriental blends (Oriental predominate, but other constituent tobaccos are present except Latakia)

Now others might break them down differently, and even my own definitions are a thing that may be adapted or changed from time to time. But this is overall how I like to see them. Of course, I am no expert, just a guy who enjoys an occasional pipe.

As such, I am not a big fan of Burley blends nor of Orientals. I do smoke and occasional aromatic, but even that not very often. But that is only how I have found to satisfy my own palate - everybody's palate is different.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #790
jjmitchem
Adjusting to the Life

Army (Active)

Thanks again for all the input here

I picked up a couple of ounces of Lane 1Q yesterday at a local B&M near our training area. It was really nice but smoked hot. Was that because of it being more moist than the carter hall and Prince Albert I've been trying? Should I let it dry a bit?

Other than that I'm getting a good handle on the pipe and can see myself smoking one more than my cigars.

One more thing - what do you all do with your tamper after using it? I'm either getting ash all over my thumb from wiping it off or I'm wiping it off on the edge of the sole of my boot before sticking it back in my pocket
Old 10-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #791
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Thanks again for all the input here

I picked up a couple of ounces of Lane 1Q yesterday at a local B&M near our training area. It was really nice but smoked hot. Was that because of it being more moist than the carter hall and Prince Albert I've been trying? Should I let it dry a bit?

Other than that I'm getting a good handle on the pipe and can see myself smoking one more than my cigars.

One more thing - what do you all do with your tamper after using it? I'm either getting ash all over my thumb from wiping it off or I'm wiping it off on the edge of the sole of my boot before sticking it back in my pocket
The Lane 1Q smokes hot because it is cased and smothered in a humectant, polypropylene glycol, and will not dry out quickly, if at all. Many like it, I am not a fan, too moist and too much flavoring.

Of course, I don't want to suggest in any way that you smoke or do not smoke something simply because I do or do not like it.

As for cleaning your tamper - if you find other ways than the one you mentioned, let me know.

Peace of The Lord be with you.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #792
jjmitchem
Adjusting to the Life

Army (Active)

Thanks Todd

Do you smoke any aromatics? Suggestions for one with a great room note my wife will like?
Old 10-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #793
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Check out Boswell for quality aromatics. As far as the tamper, I just stick it back in my pocket with ash on it.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:18 PM   #794
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

My favorite is Two Friends Celtic Mist, produced by Cornell & Diehl. Call C&D and get a sampler. Their aromatics use no PG and real favors.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:35 PM   #795
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Call C&D and get a sampler. Their aromatics use no PG and real favors.

THIS! There is not anyone in the tobacco biz nicer than the folks at C&D.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:14 PM   #796
jjmitchem
Adjusting to the Life

Army (Active)

Just sent them an email asking about samples of their aromatics

I'm leaning towards the aromatics with the pipe because I figure if I want a good tobacco flavor and aroma I get that with my cigars.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #797
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
My favorite is Two Friends Celtic Mist, produced by Cornell & Diehl. Call C&D and get a sampler. Their aromatics use no PG and real favors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
THIS! There is not anyone in the tobacco biz nicer than the folks at C&D.
There are other aromatics out there, but I am of the belief that C&D has the most pure aromatics produced in the US. Others are good, but I personally (that is, my own opinion) hate PG and the other humicants and additives that others use which leave their tobaccos too moist for far to long.

Don't get me wrong, I love McClellands (another great US pipe tobacco producer) for Virginias - Christmas Cheer, 5100, and 2050 are staples in my rotation. They also have a few aromatics that I like.

But the problem with many aromatics (outside the C&D stable) is that, because of the humicants, I have to watch very closely my puffing habits - they can bite very badly in a very short time, and then my tongue is miserable for a couple days. C&D aromatics don't leave me in that quandry.

VAs can also bite if not watched carefully and sipped slowly, but when I am smoking a VA or VaPer, I somehow know to sip and not 'puff.'

Quote:
Just sent them an email asking about samples of their aromatics

I'm leaning towards the aromatics with the pipe because I figure if I want a good tobacco flavor and aroma I get that with my cigars.
E-mail, shme-mail. Give them a call and talk to Patti. Tell her Todd from Embarrass, WI told you to call. 800 433 0080

As for good tobacco flavor and aroma w/cigar -vs- pipes. I love my cigars, absolutely do. There is no comparing the flavor of cigars and unflavored/non-aromatic pipe tobacco. It is like comparing oranges to potatoes. Seriously.

Virginias, VaPers (Virginias W/Perique), Latakia blends, Orientals, Burleys... they are all so very different from one another.

If you talk to Patti, get her to work up a small sampler of each variety. What doesn't suit you, you could either PIF, or sell. If you are nice to her, if you tell her you'd like to buy larger samples of aromatics and just a pipe or two of some other stuff - you'd be surprised about how accomodating she might be.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #798
jjmitchem
Adjusting to the Life

Army (Active)

Ok. Next question

Really enjoying my two MM Cobs and finding that I prefer the bent stem over the straight. Somewhere I read on here about breaking off a pipe cleaner and bending it to use as a filter which I have been doing and have not noticed a diffence in the smoke over using the filter

Tonight I stepped out side, pulled out my Cobb and loaded it, took a test pull to check if I packed it to tight (which I didn't) and tasted an awful mess realizing I had not cleaned and changed out the pipe cleaner filter since my last smoke. So I just took it out and smoked it sans filter

Wow. Lots of billowing smoke and could really taste the tobacco. What I did notice though was the draw was just a little light for my liking. Regardless, this was probably my best smoke so far with my Cobb.

Does a none filtered pipe have a smaller hole where the filter would go to tighte up the draw a bit?

How many of you smoke your filtered pipes without the filter?
Old 11-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #799
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Ok. Next question

Really enjoying my two MM Cobs and finding that I prefer the bent stem over the straight. Somewhere I read on here about breaking off a pipe cleaner and bending it to use as a filter which I have been doing and have not noticed a diffence in the smoke over using the filter

Tonight I stepped out side, pulled out my Cobb and loaded it, took a test pull to check if I packed it to tight (which I didn't) and tasted an awful mess realizing I had not cleaned and changed out the pipe cleaner filter since my last smoke. So I just took it out and smoked it sans filter

Wow. Lots of billowing smoke and could really taste the tobacco. What I did notice though was the draw was just a little light for my liking. Regardless, this was probably my best smoke so far with my Cobb.

Does a none filtered pipe have a smaller hole where the filter would go to tighte up the draw a bit?

How many of you smoke your filtered pipes without the filter?
I smoke all my pipes, including my cobs, without filters. Although, the only pipes I own which could take filters (at least right now) are my cobs.

Yes, non-filtered pipes do have smaller draw holes and the draw is a bit tighter. Although that loose draw isn't a big deal, it is a good "sipping" pipe that way.

Peace of The Lord be with you.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #800
kgraybill
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ken
Trading: (0)
Army (Served With Honor)
kgraybill is on a distinguished road

I've been wanting to try a pipe for some time and purchased a really cheap cob pipe and a few pouches of tobacco at the drug store.
I found them very unsatisfying so I checked out some reviews and am interested in trying out Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired and Dunhill Night Cap.

Do you think that it these would be too bold for a pipe noob?