Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough
Default Bit of a Conundrum

So, after much soul searching and difficult days, I've decided I really don't like my job enough to justify staying in it. I need a career change. I've been following the money for too long, I need to do what is right for me, and what I think will make me the happiest.

I am taking the necessary steps to go back to school to get an education degree, to teach English. This is going to be a multi-year process, likely a year of prereqs and about 2 years of masters classes, followed by a student teaching stint.

So the real question is, when do I tell my current boss? It's going to be about three years before I am ready to leave, but during most of that time, I will be taking classes. Work will only pay for school if it is for advancement within a related business area, so a CS degree or an MBA would fly, but I'll be paying for this myself, as well as still having to pay mortgage, etc, so I don't want to lose my job before I am ready.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

First Name: Luke
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
tuxpuff will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bit of a Conundrum

Can you get them to foot the bill with one of the degrees you mentioned...and minor in English...then get a masters in English and a teaching certificate?
tuxpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxpuff View Post
Can you get them to foot the bill with one of the degrees you mentioned...and minor in English...then get a masters in English and a teaching certificate?
I'm just doing the masters. Already have an undergrad degree. The comp sci degree and the education degree have basically nothing in common at the masters level, not to mention I would be doing almost another full bachelors to get the prereqs for the comp sci degree. And, to be honest, it's not expensive enough to warrant the trouble. The classes are about 560/credit hour and I only need about 11-12 classes for the degree. So, at less than 20k total cost, I'd rather just pay for it myself.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

Congrats on following your heart and not the money! Provided that your new schooling will not interfere with your current job, I wouldn't tell the boss anything until 2 to 3 weeks before you are actually leaving. Regardless of how much your boss likes you, once they know you will be leaving and are no longer vested in the company long term, he/she will treat you different. If your new schooling will interfere with your current job, then I would only tell your boss on a need to know basis. In other words, I wouldn't tell them your entire plan.

Last edited by ade06; 02-12-2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Editing is fun
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

Montecristo

Classes in this program are all evening and weekends, so it shouldn't interfere at all.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

First Name: Seth
Trading: (32)
landhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura about

I would wait until leaving was imminent, things can change and I wouldn't want to tell them and then end up not leaving. I'd give them as much notice as possible, but only when I was 100% certain I was leaving, a lot can change in a couple years time.
landhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

I'm with everyone here. I wouldn't say anything until your ready to go. If they know that far in advance chances are they will either make your life miserable or find a reason to let you go no matter how good a relationship you may have with your boss. Just the way it usually works out.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

2-4 Weeks Prior to leaving is adequate. Until then you are just trying to fill a dream of a Masters Degree.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Look at this from the other side: if your boss or the company was going to do something, would they give you advance notice -- probably not. If they really would then you work in an open environment and I might be tempted to share the information with them.

Otherwise, go to school, do your work and keep quiet -- as it is none of their business.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

What age group are you planning on teaching to?

Do you need a master's to teach that age group?

As for giving your boss a heads up, that really depends on your situation. Are you close with him/her? Don't burn bridges because you have to keep in mind that things change over the course of months/years.

Best wishes on following your heart.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #11
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post

As for giving your boss a heads up, that really depends on your situation. Are you close with him/her? Don't burn bridges because you have to keep in mind that things change over the course of months/years.

In our state you need a master's to teach above the 3rd grade or so. Might depend on local law. Also helps the pay grade and possibility of getting hired. My wife wanted to teach K/1st so it wasn't an issue, but she went a different direction.

EDIT:: after searching online, I'm not finding any of the info I thought Oregon State was feeding us.. so I'm not really sure to be honest.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post

Looking to teach at the high school level. Yes, I will need a masters in CT. I think I can get a provisional certification before getting that, but need to complete the masters within a couple of years.

As far as my current boss, I am not that close, on a personal level, with him. I think you guys have the right of it. I will probably give a month or two of notice, but will not advertise before then.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #13
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSB75 View Post
So, after much soul searching and difficult days, I've decided I really don't like my job enough to justify staying in it. I need a career change. I've been following the money for too long, I need to do what is right for me, and what I think will make me the happiest.

I am taking the necessary steps to go back to school to get an education degree, to teach English. This is going to be a multi-year process, likely a year of prereqs and about 2 years of masters classes, followed by a student teaching stint.

So the real question is, when do I tell my current boss? It's going to be about three years before I am ready to leave, but during most of that time, I will be taking classes. Work will only pay for school if it is for advancement within a related business area, so a CS degree or an MBA would fly, but I'll be paying for this myself, as well as still having to pay mortgage, etc, so I don't want to lose my job before I am ready.
I'll put it to you like a good friend of mine put it to me brother. If they were going to lay you off / replace you / fire you etc. etc. How much time would they give you / how much notice etc.??? Yea that's right none. My advice keep to yourself, this is for you not them. So keep them out of it. When your ready to bail it's up to you on how you want to leave. But, until then I say keep it under wraps. With things the way they are now ( economy ) I wouldn't be surprised that if you let the cat out of the bag on this one, you might be out on your ass looking for a job in the field you hate.

I recently changed careers also. If you need someone to talk to please let me know. I was in your situation not that long ago...I might not be able to offer specific advise about your field, but the experience was worth a lot.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #14
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney View Post
I would wait until leaving was imminent, things can change and I wouldn't want to tell them and then end up not leaving. I'd give them as much notice as possible, but only when I was 100% certain I was leaving, a lot can change in a couple years time.
Gotta agree with Seth, Frank and several of the others.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote