Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 11-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #281
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default Re: Official SEC Football Thread 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
I am no Oregon fan but that offense is brutal.
Only Thing Is Oregon Doesn't Play SEC Defenses.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #282
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Only Thing Is Oregon Doesn't Play SEC Defenses.
I got a feeling it won't matter. I think Saban does not want to play Oregon.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #283
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Haha, I'll tell you one more thing. i had to laugh last night when Verne Lundquist said "Alabama is now in field
goal range, it would be a 48 yarder if they kicked it right now". I was thinking, DOES ANYONE think that
Nick Saban is playing for 3 points? REALLY VERNE?? How deluded. That's why I just let all the air out of myself
and sat and watched in total resignation. I knew that the tide was going for the win or nothing. After the
first completion of the drive I knew. I will leave it to the people who like bama to talk up the Oregon matchup,
but I'll say it like I say it every year. It ALWAYS looks good on paper. Ask Ohio State.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #284
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
I am no Oregon fan but that offense is brutal.
That Oregon team doesn't play SEC teams, I'm trying to remember one time a team from another conference played an SEC team in the BCS championship and won.

It was Oklahoma right? No they went twice and got killed both times. Maybe it was Ohio State, oh yeah killed twice too. Hmm, I remember Bama walking all over Texas, so not them. Oh yeah it was Oregon, no wait Auburn beat them two years ago.

Oh yeah it was last year an SEC team lost, wait that was to another SEC team.

I'm sure Oregon is better than all those other teams though, it's the shiny outfits that give them the power.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #285
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

If it ends up Alabama and Oregon-------Bama wins by at least 4TDs.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #286
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

It's sad really, I think there should be more play between conferences in the top 25. As it is everyone pads their schedule and their only tough games are in-conference, that leads to a lot of skill disparity between conferences.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:05 PM   #287
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Send me your addy. LSU played one helluva a game. That deserves a little something, plus you were willing to step up.

However, you now owe the troops a fiver!!
PM'd you. Had a question anyways. Thanks Sir.
BHalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #288
never_enough
Never Satisfied

First Name: Robert
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
never_enough will become famous soon enoughnever_enough will become famous soon enough

Looks like my UK football team finally dumped the coach. Time for the next one to step up, get paid, and get fired

It actually makes me sad. Is a 7 win season consistently too much to ask for?
Old 11-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #289
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by never_enough View Post
Looks like my UK football team finally dumped the coach. Time for the next one to step up, get paid, and get fired

It actually makes me sad. Is a 7 win season consistently too much to ask for?
Not to worry, I hear they are gonna hire Nick Saban.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #290
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Besides, Brad is a self-admitted "Bama hater" (his words), which apparently also extends to their fan base as individuals.
Reminds me of a part of my favorite television series of all time..........

"Lt Winters.....permission to speak sir...
Permission granted...
Well sir, why does Lt. Sobel hate us sir?
Lt. Sobel doesn't HATE easy company Private Randellman....he just hates YOU.
Thank you SIR"
Old 11-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #291
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo35980 View Post
We won because of "iffy" play calling. That isn't the best our defense can do, we barely scraped by and I think it would have been a much cleaner win had we not been so predictable on third down the entire second half. LSU knew we were coming and acted accordingly. It's not that we played badly, and blitzing on 3rd isn't always lousy play calling, but being that predictable hurt us.

If not for that last offensive drive we would have lost, if Les Miles hadn't screwed up four plays we would have lost. We came within a hair of sending LSU to the SEC championship again and possibly excluding the SEC from the NC altogether. I don't think it would have happened if we had played a little more coverage, and a little less blitz, especially on 3rd down. I also think we gave it to AJ a bit too much, he was obviously rattled and having an off night, thank god for that last drive, but the rest of the second half was awful. I'm no expert though and it's easy to say that after the fact.
LSU had the right game plan put together and for some reason we weren't making the defensive adjustments we should have. They were rolling TE's out to the sideline and leaving the WR's in the slot. Our CB's rolled out with the TE's and that left our safeties to come up and cover the more skilled WR's. It was a mismatch all night and it shows you how much we miss Mark Barron from last year's D. Not like we've never seen that before, hell we used to do it with Julio all the time.

Anyway, great game. One that we should have lost, but somehow didn't. One that when Yeldon lost the fumble and LSU drove it down our throats to score, I said we're gonna lose this game.

Don't forget LSU had an extra week to prepare and rest. I know we could use some rest about now. We're all beat up. This was also the first game, other than WKU, that we were mostly in our "base defense" for the whole game all year. Now we'll have to go back to being a little more "unconventional." aTm will present challenges, but I think you'll see us play them about like LSU played them. Should be a similar time game. At least I hope.

Carry on...

Last edited by rizzle; 11-05-2012 at 09:02 AM.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #292
never_enough
Never Satisfied

First Name: Robert
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
never_enough will become famous soon enoughnever_enough will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Not to worry, I hear they are gonna hire Nick Saban.
Or Rex Ryan, Jon Gruden, Herm Edwards

Coaching searches always provide entertainment.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #293
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHalbrooks View Post
PM'd you. Had a question anyways. Thanks Sir.
DC # 0308 2040 0001 1954 9088 or 9071 (I mailed out 2 boxes, got two stubs, failed to keep them straight).
Old 11-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #294
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

There is nothing better in the world for a sports fan IMO than high stakes SEC football

First we were treated w/the drama of Florida-Georgia last week and now the instant classic of 'Bama-LSU

As a Gator fan, I am thankful that Metteberger did not play that way in the Swamp earlier in the season but, if you can't play your best ball in your home stadium at night after a week of preparation against your arch rival than LSU should have run him out on a rail anyhow.

Nonethe-Les, Miles was definitely tryin' to get too cute. In an SEC battle you take the 3 points!

Herbstreit tweeted after the game that he though it ended in reverse of last years regular season battle in Tuscaloosa - Bama played better all game but LSU snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. Its the football circle of life I guess

Thinking in the interest of Florida, Bama's victory was in our favor due to the possibility of this scenario - Gators beat FSU in Talla-nasty (*fingers crossed*), Georgia gets it dry at an angle from Bama in Atlanta (can't wait to see it) which means Florida is the only 1 loss SEC team and we go to the BCS Sugar Bowl
Old 11-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #295
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Quote:
That Oregon team doesn't play SEC teams, I'm trying to remember one time a team from another conference played an SEC team in the BCS championship and won.

It was Oklahoma right? No they went twice and got killed both times. Maybe it was Ohio State, oh yeah killed twice too. Hmm, I remember Bama walking all over Texas, so not them. Oh yeah it was Oregon, no wait Auburn beat them two years ago.

Oh yeah it was last year an SEC team lost, wait that was to another SEC team.

I'm sure Oregon is better than all those other teams though, it's the shiny outfits that give them the power.
Well said, sir. I always look forward to whatever team lines up against the SEC in the title game and people say "but this team is different than the previous ____(fill in the blank BCS losers) who had an overrated offense!"

Not saying its inevitable Bama will win, assuming they get by Georgia (but come on, ), but when the non-SEC team in the BCS game actually has a DEFENSE, then I'll be concerned
Old 11-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #296
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
Don't forget LSU had an extra week to prepare and rest. I know we could use some rest about now. We're all beat up. ...
Correct me if I am wrong, Rizz, didn't we get you guys in the same spot last year, or am I extrapolating
off of the Champ. game where you guys had a month of rest?? Duh, I guess I can look it up on the webster...
Yep, you guys were off for a week last time.

All homerism aside, this was a superb football game. Last year I liked it because we won, but was not
a fan of the game from almost any other standpoint. Sat nite the game was constantly up for grabs,
nearly from the opening kick. I know fans of young-man football could care less, but wow, what a football
game. If I wasn't so mad at Les Miles, I could enjoy it more, but I enjoyed so many aspects of the game.

One was the courtesy and sportsmanship of the tide. The Tide D could have re-arranged Mettenberger's DNA
on all those pass attempts where he hung in the pocket, but they gave him the bennie of the doubt that he
WAS going to throw and not pump and they never killed him once that I recall. They simply tackled him
and everyone lived to play another down. I DID NOT like the camera shot they got on number 6, giving 'kissy goodbye'
lips to the LSU fans in the stands after the big closing drive. I thought that was classless. but there are SO
many of those moments in every game, only a fraction get on camera. Like that moron Mettenberger playing
the 'cell phone-call me' move as if he had suddenly re-written the record books of college football by scoring a TD.
But of course its ALL just kids being kids. What ya gonna do.

Obviously I hope A&M beats the Tide, but you made your path to the big game clear, and I see no
way to stop the ball rolling downhill. Should be another egg for the elephants, hope they glue this one down.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #297
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers View Post
when the non-SEC team in the BCS game actually has a DEFENSE, then I'll be concerned
So true....you can play all the highlight reels you like, but when all the skinny-a55 receivers for Oregon
are laid out writhing on the turf holding whichever body part is changed forever, the offense is bound to
slow WAY down. Not that we intend to hurt anyone, but 'big meets little' at 45 mph USUALLY winds up
that way. It's like Indiana Jones, that dude is flipping that scimitar back and forth, whirling and twirling
it in a flashy show, and Indy just pulls out a revolver and shoots him dead. THAT'S what I think of
every new years
Old 11-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #298
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers View Post
Georgia gets it dry at an angle from Bama in Atlanta (can't wait to see it)
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.ehhh...ehh...heh...Dr y and at an angle, lol.

The ONLY reason I wanted Bama to lose REALLY, was the fact that all the power teams would have one loss.
No one would be shocked to know I like a lil Chaos.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #299
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
As it is everyone pads their schedule and their only tough games are in-conference, that leads to a lot of skill disparity between conferences.
LSU used to schedule a DAUNTING non-conference schedule, but this year they seem to have gone back
to scheduling light. I know most of this is done many years in advance, so I doubt it was an effort to
finally beat bama, lol, but I was saddened to see it. I liked the swagger you can lay claim to when you
take a chance and schedule tough NCOs. Hopefully they will go back to that. If you can't hang, at least
you tried....USM was like that historically.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #300
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
So true....you can play all the highlight reels you like, but when all the skinny-a55 receivers for Oregon
are laid out writhing on the turf holding whichever body part is changed forever, the offense is bound to
slow WAY down. Not that we intend to hurt anyone, but 'big meets little' at 45 mph USUALLY winds up
that way. It's like Indiana Jones, that dude is flipping that scimitar back and forth, whirling and twirling
it in a flashy show, and Indy just pulls out a revolver and shoots him dead. THAT'S what I think of
every new years
So true. I am begging for an SEC/Oregon matchup for the NC game so the Pac12ers will STFU.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote