Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #3061
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Photography Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #3062
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Old 07-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #3063
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Those cloud pics are neat.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #3064
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Old 07-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #3065
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

The Good Lord certainly gives us neat stuff to photograph!
Old 07-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #3066
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Old 07-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #3067
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Old 07-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #3068
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Old 07-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #3069
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

dang, what a fine crop of photos! Mine for the weekend are based on my semi-usual farmer's market shoot,
and a pool party I went to over the weekend. i had to be on Daiquiri and photography detail, enjoyed both,
kicked a55 in the drink making job.

OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #3070
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

man when I look at those photos above, I can't believe how I let the focus point get away from me.
The fiddle one was just an error, you can SEE the focus point clearly on the fiddle. The singer
that was just me being stupid. BLAZING sunlight and I bet I was near wide open in aperture.
Yep, I checked it and it was f/5, so at that zoom level, that was wide open. I continue to do the
same things again and again, too 'busy' to stop and think about how I am set up. In the film days,
there would be none of that. You were throwing away money for shooting stupid. On a day like Saturday,
I should have been at f/11. I guess I wanted some dramatically shallow DOF since the singer was excited
that a photographer was coming to shoot the party, lol. I wonder if he ever showed up, lolol.

In my defense, the 35-135 can be a little soft, it was hand held, and I was screwing up the settings.
but again, the camera was allowed to find it's own favorite point of high contrast to focus on, in that
case, the MIC and her MOUTH. And I can't necessarily holler, the D70 only has 5 focus points, and
I USED the right one. I just needed to be in f/8 or f/11.

Since Justin died, I guess I have to carry on around here. Pulled out the oldest DSLR I have, my old D100.
I wanted to test some lenses while I walked, and thought it would be best to go ahead and pull out some of
the oldies to have a variety of pics from all the bodies. I find it ironic that this old camera takes such a great
photo, and the D70 with a 'similar' lens could cough up such crap. In it's defense, the 70-210 is a better lens
than the 35-135, but not by much. They are almost identical in period. And the D70 is not a whole lot older
than a D100. The Nikkor 35-135 AF (shots above) is not all that different from the Nikkor 70-210 AF, which
was what shot this Day Lily today. That said, I find the 70-210mm 4-5.6 to be an excellent lens. It is thirsty
for light, but if you give it what it wants, it will reward you. But stop paying attention to your surroundings and
how they will affect your settings, you can have the best lenses there are, and you can get crap.

And in my defense, when I put on better glasses, the pics are not that bad, lol. but still TOO much light
to be wide open.

Last edited by OLS; 07-22-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:24 AM   #3071
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

I was messing with a couple of the cloud shots in Photoshop for various effects. It was near sunset and there they were, a huge bank of cumulus clouds right there catching the light. I was surprised the AF caught the detail so well
Posted via Mobile Device
shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #3072
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark View Post
I was surprised the AF caught the detail so well
Posted via Mobile Device
When you think about it, its not a surprise. Once you focus on clouds, you are pretty much at infinity.
Same for flying planes, birds, ships, etc. They are also mostly immune from the localized haze you get
when you focus on a ship or something on the same plane as you. The lens can work better on clouds
than a ship or a far away building. That and you bought the best damn Nikon under $500.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #3073
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Old 07-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #3074
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Old 07-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #3075
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Old 07-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #3076
OLS
Suck It

Once again, everything old is definitely new again. Thankfully prices on all these old lenses have gone down,
I think there was a real rush when the D700 came out, and maybe when the D200 came out before it, to buy
up a lot of manual focus lenses that could stand in for the $1000-$2000 lenses that Nikon was selling to go
with their new FX cameras. The real stars are still priced pretty high, but it would seem that there are a lot of
hidden stars that people have already forgotten about or satiated themselves on, with everyone who wanted one
already having one. I have been very lucky, in my crazy desire to read everything I can about some of this stuff,
to have found a few real dandys for a crazy low price, at least in terms of the quality for the money.

The Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI was one, man what a great lens....not cheap, but for $99, I really think the images
are worth it.

The Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 ED AIS was CERTAINLY one, although I think I paid $184 for that one, so it was no 'bargain'.
My favorite lens so far in life. I'd say that $184 for the best lens you own is a good trade.

The one I am on and on about today is this Nikkor 200mm f/4 AI. I have had it for a month or better, and haven't put
it on a camera yet. I thought maybe the good times might end. Boy was I wrong. This is a KILLER LENS. Not sure yet
until I go to the zoo what I REALLY have on my hands, but the pics from my walk tonight seem to indicate it will give the
180mm a run for it's money. As ever, hand-held in fading early evening light. One thing I wanted to do but really couldn't,
was to shoot at f/8. But I at least stopped down to 5.6. These pics showed me good things.....sorry, the usual subject matter.
My hand-holding kind of softened them up a bit, for this is certainly a LONG lens, but the color and contrast are really
impressive to me. As similar as these look from the 70-210 stuff from yesterday, these are all new pics today. Not a whole
lot of variety on my walk....I like color.

With this lens, I see insects where others see only flowers...

Check out the bee on the upper left.....

This one really got me with the DEPTH it showed, in addition to the color and crispness.

Last edited by OLS; 07-23-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #3077
OLS
Suck It

Shark, are you using a tripod there?? Those pics are sweet.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #3078
OLS
Suck It

Ehh, the pics I took don't look very good on my work computer, lol. In fact the 70-210
looks better than the 200mm I was going on about. But still BOTH lenses were $40-$44
so I am still happy, lol.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #3079
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

No, I had the camera set up on a railing for the train shot. 1/2.5 sec., f5.6, ISO 1000 +0.7EV
Old 07-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #3080
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

One of my favorites from the game Monday....(noisey, but it is, what it is)

E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote