Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 05-19-2011, 03:54 PM   #21
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Budget wine thread

Fantastic post! Similar to what I said earlier, drink what you like, like what you drink, smoke, drive, ride, eat...whatever the case may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Chill, Chip. If you ignore the bears instead of poking them, maybe they will go elsewhere. And if not, so what?

I work in a wineshop, and we have some expensive stuff on the shelves . . . where most of it has been for a loooong time, and where it may likely stay for an even longer time. Even if you discount the fact that the vast majority of people cannot afford $100-$500 for a single bottle of wine, most of those who may have the financial resources do not see the point of it. Why should they spend that much when they may not be able to distinguish the difference anyway?

It is relatively easy to find a good bottle of wine in excess of the $30 price point Chip proposed. But it is just as easy to find good ones under that, and when you do it is more fun, more gratifying, and more fiscally responsible. Me, I'm much more pleased when I find a drinkable bottle for $10 than I would be were it twice . . . or 10 times . . . that price.

This post is full of my regarding the overall issue, and totally lacking in any specific suggestions. But then, who wants to rely on the taste of a guy who buys bundled cigars?
Old 05-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #22
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Calm down gang. It is, unfortunately, common for some to stomp all over a thread that they deem inferior or something like that. Those people come and go and those who have been here for a while learn that not every post in a thread will be wanted or appreciated. The more you feed their ego by drawing attention to their games, the longer they will stay. Just as it is good sense to ignore the loud mouth at the bar and let the management deal with them, so it is here.
Sticky material right there.

MCS
Old 05-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #23
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly View Post
Sticky material right there.

MCS
Cotton candy or pine pitch?

Barefoot Chardonnay is pretty good for the price even if there are others I would prefer to be drinking
Menage a Trois someone mentioned - like the Rose
A to Z Pinot Noir

$30 is a high enough bar to find plenty of good wines...
Old 05-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #24
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

I know you said wine and not port, but if I can add a port to the mix, I really enjoy Grahams 6 Grapes, for under $20 a bottle, it's a great ruby.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #25
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusianator View Post
I know you said wine and not port, but if I can add a port to the mix, I really enjoy Grahams 6 Grapes, for under $20 a bottle, it's a great ruby.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:04 PM   #26
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Calm down gang. It is, unfortunately, common for some to stomp all over a thread that they deem inferior or something like that. Those people come and go and those who have been here for a while learn that not every post in a thread will be wanted or appreciated. The more you feed their ego by drawing attention to their games, the longer they will stay. Just as it is good sense to ignore the loud mouth at the bar and let the management deal with them, so it is here.
Please remind me, did I miss your illuminating wine related posts elsewhere?

As opposed to a bunch of mine, discussing and recommending wines AT ALL PRICE POINTS, in a number of threads. So, as trolling goes, look in the mirror...
I was simply asking and commenting. Because time and again we see threads upon threads of people chasing HIGH PRICED cigars and yet all we see is threads based on LOW PRICE wines. For someone above equating pleasure quotient of wine versus cigar all I can say is that even the largest cigar is no more than what, 3+ hours of pleasure, yet a bottle of wine can deliver pleasure over 2-3 days if need be. Some, like sherries, can stay open for years and deliver great pleasure for that long. Where does price come into this equation?

As much as I tell people to drink (and smoke) what they like I, basically, would rather drink good beer than bad wine, and plain water rather bad beer. Many of the wines mentioned in these "cheap wine" threads are barely wine, many are simply chemical concoctions. Many use oak by-products and food/color additives to cover bad fruit. Thus, my usual questions as to why one would demand pure tobacco and yet subject his internals to chemical crap. I say stick to beer instead (or whatever your other beverage of choice may be).

Those of you above who immediately lumped me into the "only high price products" category obviously know nothing about me. I always look for value, and yes, sometimes that value can actually be a higher priced product. And many a time price is the true measuring stick, low price means low quality. Yeah, I know, a novel concept to most of you in the thread (sorry for sarcasm).

So, how many drive a Yugo? Or cheapest,20 year old Hiunday/Nissan? Why not?

All I see is threads upon threads on Tats/DPG/Viaje/etc/etc/etc, almost never threads on cheapest bundles from Famous/CI/second tier/third tier cigars that are in same league, quality wise, as many of the wines discussed.

But hey, its your liver, (ab)use it any way you want.

For the record, depending on the batch and varietal I would take a 2 Buck Chuck over many of the wines mentioned.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #27
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

SCdlH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
Because time and again we see threads upon threads of people chasing HIGH PRICED cigars and yet all we see is threads based on LOW PRICE wines.
So? Why let that bother you?
Old 05-19-2011, 09:22 PM   #28
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
I was simply asking and commenting. Because time and again we see threads upon threads of people chasing HIGH PRICED cigars and yet all we see is threads based on LOW PRICE wines.
Start one. You do know how to do that, right?
Old 05-19-2011, 09:54 PM   #29
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

We have threads on cheap bundle smokes, value cigars, etc.....A member can't start a value wine thread without getting your dander up?

Drink what you like (everyone), like what you drink (everyone), and don't take yourself too seriously.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 05-19-2011, 10:05 PM   #30
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

I suggest 3 buck chuck
Old 05-19-2011, 10:12 PM   #31
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
I suggest 3 buck chuck
I've had it, and thought it was worth at least four-fitty.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:00 PM   #32
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Back on topic, shall we?

For everyday value wines, I like fetzer and bogle. Fetzer runs under $7 and bogle runs under $10 at the local walmart liquor store here. I really like frei brothers Cabernet as well. About $20, and delicious as far as my palate is concerned.

For super cheap, I've been able to rather enjoy yellow tail merlot, though it's one of those chemical concoctions riddick was referring to.
Posted via Mobile Device
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:35 AM   #33
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

I agree on Bogle. Good, solid stuff for ~$10. The Pinot and Cab are very good.

Had some Castle Rock Pinot last night. Very good stuff. Paired up with an Illusione Nostros. It was a good night.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:36 AM   #34
pnoon
YNWA

Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
Back on topic, shall we?
You can bet on it.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:39 AM   #35
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

As for myself, I don't know a lot about wines, but I know what I like. I don't have a refined palette, but, for a bargain bottle I like the Gallo Hearty Burgundy.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:49 AM   #36
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
WTF...why all this crapping in my thread? I am fukcing thrilled to no end that XLC and Riddick can afford to smoke the best smokes and drink the best wine. That is not what this thread is for. If you have nothing nice to say....go start your own thread*.....jerks.
Aristotle said “General questions can only have general answers”. This thread is too general for me to suggest bottles under $20 with narrowing the scope some. Do you like new world or old world wines? Single varietal or blends? Red, white, sparkling, fortified, or rose? Do you want big names easy to find or more obscure gems in that price range.

The majority of wines I drink and taste are in that price range, but without knowing what kind of wines you like, it's hard to make suggestions. $20 can buy a heck of wine.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:56 AM   #37
OnlyDryReds
Driving around aimlessly

First Name: Rob
Trading: (12)
Trinidad
OnlyDryReds is on a distinguished road

Sat out on the patio last night with wife and my parents and we had a nice mondavi Sauvignon Blanc that wife had picked up on sale for 8.99... Nice, fruity, light, worked well on a warm sping night.
OnlyDryReds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:44 AM   #38
pnoon
YNWA

Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyDryReds View Post
Sat out on the patio last night with wife and my parents and we had a nice mondavi Sauvignon Blanc that wife had picked up on sale for 8.99... Nice, fruity, light, worked well on a warm sping night.
Looks like you may have to consider changing your user name.
Posted via Mobile Device
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #39
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Aristotle said “General questions can only have general answers”. This thread is too general for me to suggest bottles under $20 with narrowing the scope some. Do you like new world or old world wines? Single varietal or blends? Red, white, sparkling, fortified, or rose? Do you want big names easy to find or more obscure gems in that price range.

The majority of wines I drink and taste are in that price range, but without knowing what kind of wines you like, it's hard to make suggestions. $20 can buy a heck of wine.
This thread isn't about what he likes, it's what you like so post away Moses, as I am interested to see the list.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #40
xlc12rf
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jay
Trading: (3)
xlc12rf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
This thread isn't about what he likes, it's what you like so post away Moses, as I am interested to see the list.
x2

I love finding cheap, drinkable wine.
xlc12rf is offline   Reply With Quote