Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 08-08-2015, 08:01 PM   #1
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of
Default It was close to 8 minutes....

Tim Brown was once one of the fastest players in the NFL. His Hall of Fame speech was anything but. Inductees are allotted 8 minutes for their speeches. Brown was clocked at 31 minutes, 27 seconds.

Of course if you look at his career numbers and think back to the QBs that were throwing to him it really does show how amazing he was.

It was also the beginning of a remarkable streak of both durability and productivity. For nine straight years from 1993-2001, Brown hauled in at least 75 receptions, topped 1,000 yards and scored at least five touchdowns. Over that nine-season span, he averaged over eight receiving scores a season, in an era when passing wasn't as prevalent as today.

No, it wasn't the Wing-T days, but it wasn't today (when 4,000 passing yards is considered "OK") either.
And over that 144-game stretch, Brown suited up each and every week.

What made the streak all the more remarkable was the Raiders' bevy of, how shall I put this, uninspiring quarterbacks at the time. Jeff Hostetler. Billy Joe Hobert. Jeff George. Donald Hollas.

As a Raiders fan I will now go back to living in the past.

Last edited by AdamJoshua; 08-08-2015 at 08:07 PM.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:20 PM   #2
AdamJoshua

AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of
Default Re: It was close to 8 minutes....

man when they talk about moves that break defender's ankles

https://youtu.be/N6nRcoBfunM
Old 08-08-2015, 08:54 PM   #3
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

I was never a Raiders fan but always enjoyed watching Tim Brown. He's one of those guys that you look at and think "Man, he had an awesome career, but what could have been if he'd had some talent around him?"
Old 08-08-2015, 10:46 PM   #4
AdamJoshua

Not only the crap retread QBs but for a lot of years there was no one else on the field that was a legit target so he spend many seasons double covered.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:27 AM   #5
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Possibly the greatest "power" football player I saw film on, maybe the best of his era, and certainly parlayed that into a great acting career.

Oh, "Tim"? Never mind. Yeah, he was pretty good too.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #6
AdamJoshua

The other brown didn't have to play with 20 different QBs only one of which made a pro-bowl

Last edited by AdamJoshua; 08-09-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:40 AM   #7
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

What's even more amazing?!?....the Raiders streak of "uninspiring quaterbacks" is still going strong!
Old 08-10-2015, 09:57 AM   #8
joatmon
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Lucas
Trading: (2)
Partagas
joatmon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
What's even more amazing?!?....the Raiders streak of "uninspiring quaterbacks" is still going strong!
I'm not so sure about that. As much as I hate the Raiders (Go Broncos!), I must say that Derek Carr showed some potential last season.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:01 AM   #9
AdamJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by joatmon View Post
I'm not so sure about that. As much as I hate the Raiders (Go Broncos!), I must say that Derek Carr showed some potential last season.
Derek Carr with real receivers should be even better.