Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 11-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #701
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
Okay I have a couple questions for you pro pipers.

I use to smoke a pipe a few years ago, the pipe cost me about $75 if I remember correctly I would just go grab whatever cherry like flavor they tobacconist sold and enjoy it. I broke it and decided to quit rather than replace it. Now I am considering starting it up again as a way to enjoy a nice short smoke. My wife prefers the smell of pipe tobacco to cigars so that is a plus.

This "cherry" tobacco I was buying, is it comparable to infused cigars?
Is it completely flavored and unnatural?
Does good natural tobacco put off an unappealing aroma to a non-smoker?
In other words if I am smoking what you would consider good tobacco will my wife think it stinks?

I realize now, I know nothing about what I was doing back when I tried this hobby.
Aromatics may or may not contain quality tobacco as their constituent base. The flavors of cherry/rum/maple/fruitloops/etc.. are all acheived by a "top note" flavoring added to the tobacco. Pipe tobacco as a general rule does smell much better than does a cigar - at least to the non-smoker. However, English blends will piss people off like nobody's business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WittyUserName View Post
So, I am new to the whole pipe thing but looking to pick up a couple corn cobs and some tobacco. I guess my question would be, is there a "starter kit" (pipe, tool, cleaners, tobacco) that can be purchased somewhere. I am limited to online purchases only for the pip itself. The NEX here sells some pipe tobacco, the normal super market/right aid stuff. Thank you in advance for the advice and direction. Also, I will do my best to never say the dirty "P" word.
Personally, the "normal super market/right aid stuff" is (in my own opinion) substandard tobacco and should be avoided. Most of it gives me tongue bite like nobody's business. I don't know, but I'd guess that if you go to http://www.pipesandcigars.com/ and then call them after looking some stuff over, that they'd fix you up a "starter kit" to you specifications.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #702
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

Has anyone tried the forever stems? If there was one thing I could do about my cob, it would be to reduce the amount of draw it has.

I'm wondering if these would sove this:

http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html...er__stems.html
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #703
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
Has anyone tried the forever stems? If there was one thing I could do about my cob, it would be to reduce the amount of draw it has.

I'm wondering if these would sove this:

http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html...er__stems.html
I've heard many good reviews of the Briar works stems. I would say go for it!
Old 11-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #704
coty

So question for the nut house pipe smokers, an older gentle made stuck in his was smokes Tampa sweets Cherwoods he finaly broke today and ask me to find him a pipe blend that taste the same any suggestions
Old 11-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #705
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by coty View Post
So question for the nut house pipe smokers, an older gentle made stuck in his was smokes Tampa sweets Cherwoods he finaly broke today and ask me to find him a pipe blend that taste the same any suggestions
Prince Albert Vanilla Cavendish - http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_...PHA=P&TID=1934
Old 11-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #706
coty

thank you Mr. Moo will have to try that
Old 11-30-2011, 04:00 AM   #707
coty

Da vinci is a tobacco I have recently tried and feel in love with It has a noticable chianti in it. I am looking for a pipe tobacco that has a strong chianti taste to it and has a little more strength to it because although great, the Di Vinci is like smoking air.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:41 AM   #708
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by coty View Post
Da vinci is a tobacco I have recently tried and feel in love with It has a noticable chianti in it. I am looking for a pipe tobacco that has a strong chianti taste to it and has a little more strength to it because although great, the Di Vinci is like smoking air.
Sorry, cannot help. Tried the DaVinci once, hated the "chianti" taste/smell and have tried to avoid anything even remotely like it. Although, I do not believe I have ever encounted anything that resembles it in taste.

I'd contact Cornell & Diehl, call them and talk to Patti Tarler, ask if they have anything that is similar. Their aromatic would be clearner and less fill with PG than DaVinci. Here's the link to look stuff up. http://www.cornellanddiehl.com/oldindex.html
Hope this helps.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #709
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Here's a question for you pipe folks. I have a very nice Meerschaum Billiard that was gifted to me from one of the members here. I have this fear that if I went to go smoke it outside in freezing temperatures, it might crack. Is the an irrational fear? Can I take her out in sub-freezing temps? Thanks.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #710
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tony
Zanaspus will become famous soon enough

I don't own a meer, but from reading several stories on several fora, I'd say you fear is very real and by no means irrational.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #711
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

What are some pros and cons to smoking meerschaum pipes?

I was looking at these: http://www.marscigars.com/meerschaum.aspx
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #712
Old Man Army

I'm still trying to get the hang of smoking a pipe. Yesterday was my first successful use of a tamper to keep the pipe lite. My problem is, when I get to about half a bowl the pipe starts to get condensation in the bottom of the bowl and stem. What should I do to address the issue?

Best regards,
Andrew
Old 01-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #713
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Pass a pipe cleaner down through the stem and into the bowl. If it is a straight pipe this should be easily done, if the pipe is bent, it may take some finagling, twisting, turning, and pushing, to get it down there.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #714
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Army View Post
I'm still trying to get the hang of smoking a pipe. ...when I get to about half a bowl the pipe starts to get condensation in the bottom of the bowl and stem. What should I do to address the issue?

Best regards,
Andrew
Smoke filled half bowls until you do get the hang of it.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #715
Old Man Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
Pass a pipe cleaner down through the stem and into the bowl. If it is a straight pipe this should be easily done, if the pipe is bent, it may take some finagling, twisting, turning, and pushing, to get it down there.
My pipe is one of the Kaywoodie pipes with the weird ball-ended contraption on the end of the stem. Should I attempt to cut it off?
Old 01-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #716
Old Man Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Smoke filled half bowls until you do get the hang of it.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try that next time. Tonight I smoked a cigar instead
Old 01-17-2012, 11:51 PM   #717
Nick
Feeling at Home

First Name: That's confidential
Nick is on a distinguished road

I suppose you could try to cut it off as that probaly is the root of your problems. Not really sure why kaywoodie insists on putting those damns stingers in there. Thats the only reason why I dont have one
Old 01-18-2012, 06:04 AM   #718
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Army View Post
My pipe is one of the Kaywoodie pipes with the weird ball-ended contraption on the end of the stem. Should I attempt to cut it off?
I thought those screwed out of the stem? Have you tried that?
Old 01-18-2012, 06:33 AM   #719
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
I thought those screwed out of the stem? Have you tried that?

I always thought stingers twisted or could be pulled out.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #720
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Not on the Kaywoodies, the tenon has threads that screw into the mortise. Some of the stingers on other pipes can be pulled out, but the kaywoodie stingers are part of the bit.

If it is a new model Kaywoodie, I would cut it off below the threads. If it is a antique, you may want to leave in intact, as the older ones are somewhat collectable.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote