Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #1
the MacDonald
Grey beard, funky wierd

First Name: Joe
Trading: (9)
Trinidad
the MacDonald will become famous soon enough
Default Havana, CT?

Last weekend my wife and I went to a town in the Middle of CT. We popped into the local cigar shop, that looked much more like a "head shop" from outside. Past all the "pipes" and accessories, in the back was a nice walk-in humidor. I scanned the shelves for something interesting when I noticed...

The entire back wall of the humidor was filled with Partgas, Cohiba, H. Upman, and Montecristo boxes. Front and center was a couple of boxes of Cohiba Belke's. Everything was marked Cuba. The light was fairly dim but the labels seemed good. The boxes weren't obvious fakes. They all had a triple cap and seemed rolled right. Although it's been a little while since I've been around any CC's they smelled right. Almost all the cigars were priced around $19.95. I had already spent my fun money for the week and didn't want to pay 20 bucks and plus CT's sales tax, for a dog rocket but what the hell is going on here?

We're pretty strict on counterfeit anything in CT, and although we do our best to out liberal Kennedy Country (Mass-o-shussettes) up North I don't think CT has embrace trade with the Castro Brothers yet. The proprietor was Middle Eastern and glued to his computer. I wasn't sure how to ask him without accusing him of breaking the law and/or selling counterfeit stuff so I left quietly...but what the hell is going on here?
Old 04-17-2014, 11:03 AM   #2
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Havana, CT?

Not sure if there is an answer to "what the hell is going on here?"

But Belkes for $20?!?!?! What a deal!
Seriously, avoid those sticks like the plague.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Havana, CT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the MacDonald View Post
Last weekend my wife and I went to a town in the Middle of CT. We popped into the local cigar shop, that looked much more like a "head shop" from outside. Past all the "pipes" and accessories, in the back was a nice walk-in humidor. I scanned the shelves for something interesting when I noticed...

The entire back wall of the humidor was filled with Partgas, Cohiba, H. Upman, and Montecristo boxes. Front and center was a couple of boxes of Cohiba Belke's. Everything was marked Cuba. The light was fairly dim but the labels seemed good. The boxes weren't obvious fakes. They all had a triple cap and seemed rolled right. Although it's been a little while since I've been around any CC's they smelled right. Almost all the cigars were priced around $19.95. I had already spent my fun money for the week and didn't want to pay 20 bucks and plus CT's sales tax, for a dog rocket but what the hell is going on here?

We're pretty strict on counterfeit anything in CT, and although we do our best to out liberal Kennedy Country (Mass-o-shussettes) up North I don't think CT has embrace trade with the Castro Brothers yet. The proprietor was Middle Eastern and glued to his computer. I wasn't sure how to ask him without accusing him of breaking the law and/or selling counterfeit stuff so I left quietly...but what the hell is going on here?
That's exactly what's going on. It's one or the other.

Probably best to walk away from any "Cuban" cigars found in a head shop.

BTW - $19.95 for a Behike? You can bet your ass it's fake.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote