Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-19-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
gijoey959

Default few questions about cigar beetles

I was sorting out the cigars I will be taking on a trip with my on Tuesday, when I picked up a few cigars that were from the same box, all in cello luckily, and noticed little holes and blackish powder all inside... I instantly went into red alert

EVERYTHING except what's getting burned within 2 weeks (what I'm taking on the trip in other words) went into double bagged gallon sized ziplocks and got put into the fridge so I can get them in the freezer tomorrow.

My questions are
Can beetles still do damage if they even got a change to get around while the cigars are doing the initial cool down in the fridge?
Will the sticks I'm taking with me be fine?
Can beetles hide in the humidor (aka cooler with boxes in it)?
If so, should I freeze the boxes that are in the humidor?
Can leaving cigars in the freezer for 16 days total cause any damage?

Thanks
Old 11-19-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
smelvis
Not part of the Clique

Trading: (16)
smelvis has disabled reputation
Default Re: few questions about cigar beetles

Man I will leave this for more experienced and guess.

You did everything right in my opinion, I don't think they can do damage while getting cold and I don't think 16 day's will hurt them.

Just guessing I am sure someone with experience with beetles will chime in, have a good trip.
smelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:30 PM   #3
gijoey959

Thanks man every little bit helps!
Old 11-19-2010, 11:58 PM   #4
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoey959 View Post
My questions are
Can beetles still do damage if they even got a change to get around while the cigars are doing the initial cool down in the fridge?
Will the sticks I'm taking with me be fine?
Can beetles hide in the humidor (aka cooler with boxes in it)?
If so, should I freeze the boxes that are in the humidor?
Can leaving cigars in the freezer for 16 days total cause any damage?

Thanks
"Can beetles still do damage if they even got a change to get around while the cigars are doing the initial cool down in the fridge?" Some, how much is open to debate, but ultimately, but they can't breed at refrigerator temps - so even if they do damage, the lifecycle grinds to a halt. FWIW, the refrigerator step is not really necessary, you can go straight to the freezer with the cigars. Think about it, they take cigars from ambient to -30 in minutes with the typical blast freezer that is used for beetle control by many manufacturers and some vendors and it doesn't hurt the cigars, your slow pulldown home freezer won't hurt anything taking hours to go from ambient to 0.

"Will the sticks I'm taking with me be fine?" Meh. Maybe. Depends how extreme the infestation is. The cigars you're taking might not even be infested. It's unlikely though that you have anything to worry about.

"Can beetles hide in the humidor (aka cooler with boxes in it)?" Sure they can. Just yell "olly-olly-oxen-freeeeee" and see how many come running out from their hiding spots.

"If so, should I freeze the boxes that are in the humidor?" I freeze whole boxes. Tobacco beetles will eat just about anything except glass, plastic, cedar, rubber and metal. Things like paper, certain foodstufs, some woods,,, etc - yeah, all that is fair game to them.

"Can leaving cigars in the freezer for 16 days total cause any damage?". Nope - I sometimes leave cigars in the freezer for two weeks or so. Doesn't hurt them one bit;.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:15 AM   #5
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough

I'm with TG, I see no reason for the fridge before or after freezing. Loose stuff gets double bagged (fiver finger bag inside a freezer bag) Boxes go in as soon as they come out of the shipping box.

Some have this whole routine down with set amounts of time, whatever makes you feel better. Loose cigars get a day, boxes maybe two then they go right in the cooler to acclimate before the humi.

You can (and I have) taken a cigar from the freezer and smoked it right away.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:30 AM   #6
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

It takes a long time for cigars to become humid like they were - several weeks.

Do you know how to play flute? Similar technique with fingers to cover the beetle holes for compression...
Old 11-20-2010, 06:37 AM   #7
smelvis
Not part of the Clique

Trading: (16)
smelvis has disabled reputation

I knew better answers would come, I also go straight to freezer so I thought that's what you meant they would be stoped pretty fast there.

Glad you got the right answers. sorry I freeze but have never had beetles yet hopefully never will.
smelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:44 AM   #8
nick2021
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (17)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
nick2021 is on a distinguished road

sorry to hear about the beetles, I now have a 100% freeze policy as well due to the same thing you went through, hopefully it all works itself out!
Old 11-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #9
gijoey959

Alright, I'll have to remember to skip the fridge when I get back I've smoked stuff straight out of the freezer as well when I first started cigars, and it was fine. I guess I have just figured it would be fine the past few months and have been skipping the freezer
Old 11-20-2010, 11:39 AM   #10
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
Some have this whole routine down with set amounts of time, whatever makes you feel better. Loose cigars get a day, boxes maybe two then they go right in the cooler to acclimate before the humi.

You can (and I have) taken a cigar from the freezer and smoked it right away.
One day is not long enough in the freezer unless you are using a commercial or a blast freezer. At least 48 hours, 72 or longer is better. It will take that long to crack any eggs. Larvae may die in 24-36 hours but the eggs will take longer.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:29 PM   #11
gijoey959

Time in the freezer is not an issue, its 2 weeks no matter what cause I'm gonna be gone but they are all in the freezer as of 11 this morning, only time will tell if the ones I left out will be fine
Old 11-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #12
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like you got it all covered. Sorry to hear about the dreaded infestation. I can normaly find some great info here: http://www.tobacconistuniversity.org...cco-beetle.asp Again like said by most here you can skip the fridge part. Hope it all works out.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #13
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoey959 View Post
I was sorting out the cigars I will be taking on a trip with my on Tuesday, when I picked up a few cigars that were from the same box, all in cello luckily, and noticed little holes and blackish powder all inside... I instantly went into red alert
fyi - beetles will chew thru cello. It doesn't slow 'em down much.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #14
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
fyi - beetles will chew thru cello. It doesn't slow 'em down much.
Yep, I can attest to that. Had a beetle outbreak many years ago. Like the others have posted, everything I get goes into the freezer for a min of 4 days, then into the fridge for a day, then humi to reacclimate.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:42 AM   #15
nick2021
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (17)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
nick2021 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
One day is not long enough in the freezer unless you are using a commercial or a blast freezer. At least 48 hours, 72 or longer is better. It will take that long to crack any eggs. Larvae may die in 24-36 hours but the eggs will take longer.
72 hours is what I do
Old 11-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #16
Stinky
Join CigarRights.org NOW!

First Name: Stinky
Trading: (1)
Punch
Stinky will become famous soon enoughStinky will become famous soon enough

I've done considerable research on this topic. The advice above is quite good. You get an "A" Adam!

One aspect to keep in mind about freezing to kill Lacioderma (aka Tobacco Beatles):

Crank your home FREEZER down to the coldest setting! ! ! Normal (typical) home freezers are set around 10+ to 15+ degrees above Zero. Research the subject and you'll find the necessary temperature to "crack the eggs" is "minus 10 Degrees" or colder for 72-hours.

Also:
I agree with the process of placing the cigars right into the freezer after sealing the baggie. 72-hour min freezer time. Then, a day in the 40+/- refrigerator is customary. 24 hours at room temperature and they're ready to smoke. The freezing process (when done right) does NOT take the humidity out! This is NOT about humidity. . . just temp.

Is it ok to go colder? YES.

Is it ok to deep-freeze longer? Yes. . . not necessary, but no problem if you sealed the cigars inside a zip-lock bag and sucked all the air out. Well, suck as much as you can. Use a straw.

Promoting the Enjoyment of Fine Cigars!
Stinky is offline   Reply With Quote