Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2018, 02:44 PM   #1
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Hold the people you Love close

I debated on whether to post this or not. But figured it’s always a good message to remind us not to take life for granted:

My Dad is 74 years old. He and three other guys used to fish together a lot. Several years ago the next to the youngest of the group had a stroke and he had quite a lot of deficits from the stroke so he can’t go with them anymore. The youngest of the group went through some business problems that he overcame and sold off a company he owned, the downside was he took employment with a company and now hardly has any time to go anymore.

The oldest of the group was 82 years old. George was a great guy and him and my dad especially enjoyed fishing together as much as they could. In our area of Florida that last couple years haven’t been all that great for the speck (crappie) fishing. They went a couple weeks ago and caught a good many and had a great time. They were going to catch enough to have a fish fry for George’s 83rd birthday coming up next month.

Last Monday they went again and caught a good many again. Upon return to George’s home they stopped by Georges pond in the back yard and threw in a few of the smaller one’s that they had caught. Now this pond isn’t a big pond and it has a liner in it. I have never seen a pond with a liner but Dad said that it was in the pond when George bought the property. The liner comes out on shore about 2 foot all the way around it.

After throwing the smaller fish in they proceeded about 50 feet away to George’s shed and mancave and my dad started scaling the fish. George took one of the smaller fish they had missed and told Dad he was going to throw it in the pond. Dad said he didn’t pay much attention as he was still busy scaling fish. Next thing he hears is George calling for help. He goes over to the pond and George had fell in. My dad started to jump in to try to save him, but George told him not to and said if he did they would both drown, which after it was all said and done George was right. He told my dad to get a rope or something. So my dad goes and could only find a piece of water hose about ten feet long and goes back and throws it to George. Dad told me George got hold of it but almost as soon as he did he weakened and let go and went under. Dad called 911 and it took rescuers about 10 or 12 minutes to get there.

I think it’s safe to say that in northeast Florida we don’t think about cold water much, but we have had some very cold temps for a couple weeks and the water temp was a lot lower than normal and I believe it sapped George’s strenght, plus the fact that the liner was very slick with algae as well making it almost impossible to get out on his own.

I had gotten off that morning at 8 am and my paramedic partner worked overtime that day and he was the paramedic that responded. They got George out in about 80 seconds after their arrival. My partner told me that almost immediately after jumping in his hands went numb and his muscles started cramping. He is only 28 years old and in good shape. He had to be helped out after the other responders pulled George out from him. George was in cardiac arrest and obviously unresponsive.

They were able to get him back and flew him by helicopter to Shands Jax. We thought he may have a good chance because after they got him back and tubed him he was bucking the tube and tried to sit up on the stretcher.

About 2 hours after arrival at Shands George succumbed. My dad says he isn’t beating himself up but I know better. I know I would. But the fact is my dad is 74 years old and has some physical limitations as well so he did as much as he could do without drowning himself. He told me he did go in up to his knees so I feel that it’s a miracle that he didn’t drown.

George’s wife displayed so much grace and love it was amazing. She called me the next morning to let me know that she has Dad’s phone. She was very concerned about Dad and told me that although obviously she wasn’t glad it had happened, but that she was grateful that George and my Dad got the spend George’s last day fishing together because that is what George loved to do.

I said all that to sayt this: Remember and let’s let our loved one’s and friends know how much we love and cherish them brothers.

Many of you on this board I have never met face to face but I have come to cherish and love yall.

God Bless.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:57 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Hold the people you Love close

At a loss for words. Thank you for sharing, Greg. Life is precious.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:14 PM   #3
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

Greg that is a heart breaking story. You are so correct about living every day and expressing love for one another like it's your last. I'm sorry for your Dad's lose and grateful he stayed out of danger. Thank you for sharing that story.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:14 AM   #4
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Such a sad story, and it must be so traumatic for your dad, I can't even imagine on how he must feel.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:07 AM   #5
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Greg: Thanks For Sharing, Brother. We Need To Enjoy Each Day To The Fullest, As Tomorrow Is Never Promised Us.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:42 AM   #6
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Wow! I am so sorry to hear about this. My thoughts and prayers for George, your dad, friends and family.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:12 PM   #7
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Keeping your dad in my prayers.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:38 AM   #8
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Thanks for sharing such a sad story. You are all in my prayers.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:06 AM   #9
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Very emotional story and I am speechless... Prayers for all involved. We can only do so much and the Lord's plans can be hard for us to rationalize why they happen as such.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:27 PM   #10
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry to hear this. Best wishes for your dad
Old 01-30-2018, 09:15 AM   #11
IBQTEE1
Crazy K

First Name: Kristin
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
IBQTEE1 has disabled reputation

Oh my gosh. So sorry for your loss. I will keep his family and yours in my prayers.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:49 PM   #12
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Wow Greg, well said. We should all endeavor to have friendships this valuable.