Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #21
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all
Default Re: Where are you from?

Born in Winchester, Mass. Raised in Billerica, Mass. Four years in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club. Live in Weymouth, Mass. Dyed in the wool Yankee.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:25 PM   #22
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
Born in Winchester, Mass. Raised in Billerica, Mass. Four years in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club. Live in Weymouth, Mass. Dyed in the wool Yankee.
And I woulda figured you would be a Red Sox Man. Oh well....Go Yankees!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:40 PM   #23
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
And I woulda figured you would be a Red Sox Man. Oh well....Go Yankees!
Ah! There's the rub. ONLY New Englanders are actual Yankees, New Yorkers are traditionally Knickbockers. It was the Dutch of New Amsterdam That named the British colonists of New England Yankees, which means "John Cheese" in Dutch. The British transferred the name to us as a derogation. Our ancestors embraced it as an act of defiance. Another reason to hate the NY Highlanders. Go Sox!
Old 11-08-2014, 09:46 PM   #24
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

That explains the Dead Rabbits.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:51 PM   #25
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
That explains the Dead Rabbits.
That was a good flick.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:52 PM   #26
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

John Cleese tie in, John grew up in a small coastal town in England. His father, Reginald, worked as an insurance salesman while his mother Muriel stayed home. His family name had originally been "Cheese," but his grandfather changed it to "Cleese" when he entered the military to avoid being picked on.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 03:33 AM   #27
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up in Sabula, PA.
I just recently took a gopro video for a friend.
I'd suggest you skip to 4:00. I grew up in the blue house at 6:00.
The whole lake community has suffered quite a bit of deferred maintenence in the last 30 years since I left, and has changed dramatically, mostly for the worse.
My stepmom still lives in that house, my Dad moved across the lake.

I stayed in the same area for my first 40 some-odd years, I've been in Cleveland for the last 5 or so. It's been a HUGE change, but I've gotten used to it.
It was tough to go from the mountains and farms to swamps and concrete.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:24 AM   #28
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I grew up in Sabula, PA.
The whole lake community has suffered quite a bit of deferred maintenence in the last 30 years since I left, and has changed dramatically, mostly for the worse.
My stepmom still lives in that house, my Dad moved across the lake.

I stayed in the same area for my first 40 some-odd years, I've been in Cleveland for the last 5 or so. It's been a HUGE change, but I've gotten used to it.
It was tough to go from the mountains and farms to swamps and concrete.
Hey Scott, I saw your video of you playing frisbee with Bubs; what an awesome dog!
Old 11-09-2014, 04:48 AM   #29
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hey Scott, I saw your video of you playing frisbee with Bubs; what an awesome dog!
He's my buddy. He's kind of mantal.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #30
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Both in Jacksonville Florida, but that was short time duty only. Parents moved back to Alabama when I was a few months old. Lived about 30 miles north, then NE of Bham since that time. Wife is a travel nurse, so I spend a good bit of time with her in various places since the recession kicked the bottom out of my profession. So on last 10-12 years, spent time in San Fran, San Diego, Modesto, Santa Cruz California; Mission Texas, Ft. Lauderdale, Panama Beach, Pensacola Fla; Richmond and Falls Church Virginia; Charleston SC AND West Virginia; Jackson and Greenville Mississippi; Knoxville Tenn (5 different times), Sheridan Wyoming (my personal favorite), Evansville and West Lafayette Indiana, and currently Paducah, Kentucky. And had the opportunity to meet many fine BOTL in the process.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #31
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I grew up in Sabula, PA.
Love the video, Scott. A clean and well kept area - shows a lot of pride in the community and themselves. Bet it would be a great place to find a coffee and just talk to the locals for a good long time.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:38 AM   #32
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

Great thread.

Born and raised in Puerto Rico. Moved to Daytona Beach, Fl in 94 to go to college, then off to Texas and Kansas while in the military. Moved back to Orlando in 03' and been living next to Disney since.

Love it here. The weather, the parks, the beaches and best of all the easy access to ports (love cruising), not to mention no state taxes, no front license plate on cars and cheap tobacco.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:22 AM   #33
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Born and raised in Indiana, Joined the USAF and lived in San Antonio TX then Monterey CA Then Tucson AZ. Got TDY'ed all over the world Seoul Korea Kadina Japan, Tooley Greenland and Annapolis MD. Moved back to Monterey in 89 and got out of the service lived there another year then moved to San Angelo TX then Tullahoma TN and finally back to Brownsburg Indiana for the last 10 years. I think the wife is going to force me to retire in about 10 years to Florida around Destin area.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #34
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Love the video, Scott. A clean and well kept area - shows a lot of pride in the community and themselves. Bet it would be a great place to find a coffee and just talk to the locals for a good long time.
That it is, Mark. A great place to live.
The lake and community and acres upon acres are all owned by 16 families.
I always thought I'd go back there and finish out my years at the lake, but my family is here now.
I go back and visit regularly, it's only about 2 hours in the car.
The people are wonderful. Between coffee and cocktail hour (that lasts all evening) nobody gets anything done.
Lots and lots of parties and company, too.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #35
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Ah! There's the rub. ONLY New Englanders are actual Yankees, New Yorkers are traditionally Knickbockers. It was the Dutch of New Amsterdam That named the British colonists of New England Yankees, which means "John Cheese" in Dutch. The British transferred the name to us as a derogation. Our ancestors embraced it as an act of defiance. Another reason to hate the NY Highlanders. Go Sox!
its the other way around my friend. The Brits called the Dutch 'Yankees', a combination of 2 common Dutch names "Jan" and "Kees". Kees (as it's pronounced in English) does not mean cheese in Dutch.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:34 AM   #36
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
its the other way around my friend. The Brits called the Dutch 'Yankees', a combination of 2 common Dutch names "Jan" and "Kees". Kees (as it's pronounced in English) does not mean cheese in Dutch.
I got that from a documentary on early colonial New York. I should have looked that up, first.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #37
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
Quote:
I got that from a documentary on early colonial New York. I should have looked that up, first.
That's ok Darren. Ferdi just pretends to know Dutch
Old 11-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #38
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
That's ok Darren. Ferdi just pretends to know Dutch
Old 11-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #39
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

Born and raised in Ojai, Ca. Moved to Chico, Ca for two years to get my edjumacation. Back to Ojai for two more years. Then up to Redding, Ca for work. Been here for two years now too
Old 11-09-2014, 12:39 PM   #40
EricF
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Eric
Trading: (116)
RA
EricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to behold

Born in Queens, NY and then moved to Stamford, Ct when I was 5 and lived there until '86 been in south Florida ever since.