Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-31-2012, 10:38 PM   #21
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What If We Lost Pepin?

I don't know enough insider info on how much of his art he's passed on, but Pepin is truly the single most influencial and important person in the NC cigar industry today. His death would mirror the recent loss in the CC world of Alejandro Robaina. He's a great guy who's forgotten more about tobacco than any of us could ever hope to learn, and who is, if not single handedly responsible for, at least a major factor in bringing the current generation of Nicaraguan cigars up to par with and occasionally exceeding the quality of Habanos. If he were to die soon, it would be a tragedy on many levels; he's a great, friendly and personable person, as well as a virtuosic genius in the art of blending and cultivating tobacco. I hope all of his children have been hanging on to every word that comes from his mouth, because when he dies, the cigar world is going to really feel it if that wealth of knowledge isn't passed on. The only NCs I've thoroughly enjoyed in the last 3 years or so other than Padrons, have all had something to do with Pepin.
EDIT
EPC is another treasure. I would hate to think of losing either of them.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:40 PM   #22
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Your post made me think...and smile, Clayton.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:24 AM   #23
AlohaStyle
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (40)
AlohaStyle will become famous soon enough

Believe me, both son and daughter, Jaimie and Janny are not just riding their father's coat tail. They are very knowledgeable in the cigar world and will carry the business just fine.

I agree, Ernesto Carillo is one of the best in the NC world. Fuentes will live on, as well as the Padrons. NC's will have no problems, until the embargo is lifted and then things will change for awhile. If Pepin is still active, he will have the leg up in the non-cuban world if/when the embargo is lifted because he will be the first/best with hybrid cuban/NC cigars as he already knows what he will blend and will have first dibs on tobacco knowing so many people in Cuba.
AlohaStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:31 AM   #24
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by cort View Post
Then Gene Arganese will never take over the market.

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:05 AM   #25
thecatch83

I think in the next five years, we are going to see numerous changes to the industry......if DPG goes, his legacy will go on!
Old 04-01-2012, 07:11 AM   #26
kuzi16
the one and only

Trading: (1)
SCdlH
kuzi16 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumushi View Post
He's a great guy who's forgotten more about tobacco than any of us could ever hope to learn...
you see... thats the thing... he hasnt forgotten a single thing about tobacco.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:24 AM   #27
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Wayne referenced the Pepin List I mentioned in this post.
It may have been at our old home. I sifted through 11 pages after I searched "Pepin", but I couldn't find it. It really was an incredible compilation of cigars he had a hand in, it'd be nice to dig it up and update it.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #28
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

It wouldn't make much impact. Yes, Pepin has made some great blends but he's not the only one. Pepin is one of the masterblenders that is in the spotlights, there are many unsung heroes that blend great cigars too that will fill the void the day Pepin quits blending.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #29
SteelCityBoy
7th Heaven Will Commeth!!

First Name: Ken
Trading: (21)
Bolivar
SteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura aboutSteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura about

I just hope Pepin continues blending for Pete Johnson. I enjoy the DPG line up and do really like a lot of what Pete Johnson comes up with. DPG and Pete seem to have had a really good thing going so hopefully none of that changes moving forward.
SteelCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #30
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

First Name: Tanith
Trading: (26)
HdM
TanithT will become famous soon enoughTanithT will become famous soon enough

What a horrific thought. Just considering it depresses me. The loss to the industry would be extremely far-reaching.

Maybe someone could raise him as a cigar-rolling zombie.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #31
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation

All the online cigar websites would crash because you all would jump online immediately and buy up everything you can!
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #32
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yop62wQH498
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #33
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Bite your tongue Scott
Old 04-02-2012, 05:17 AM   #34
sofaman
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
sofaman is on a distinguished road

I would be smoking alot more Litto and Padron
sofaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:56 AM   #35
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

It would be interesting to see who stepped up. I would imagine many of the blenders mentioned in this thread so far would be the first. EPC, Eddie Ortega, AJ Fernandez,Abe Florez, Fuentes, Padrons, Litto Gomez, Guillermo Leon, Jose Blanco. Dont get me wrong but I think the cigar world is bigger than DPG, it would not be the same place it is today without the work of him and his family. I think the Garcias are really part of the reason that NC cigars are truly meeting and at times exceeding the CCs that are being produced today.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #36
BMack
Dreaming of Bolivars

First Name: Brian
Trading: (0)
Bolivar
BMack is on a distinguished road

I think Jaime would do just fine, in fact, Jaime's lines are as good as his father's imo. Would we be missing out? Absolutely! I'm sure that they both have an impact on each other's projects(including Tatuaje).

Have you had the Jaime Garcia RE LE? If Jaime did that on his own, we have nothing to worry about unless they carpool.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #37
whodeeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaStyle View Post
Jaime has been learning from Pepin for a long time... he will do just fine when pops hangs it up.

I'm drawing a blank right now on who the main blender is... but the folks at the factory who make Illusione and Viaje can make some mean cigars as well.
Arsenio Ramos at Raices Cubanas.

Jaime's got next as you've already stated Ryan. Pete is becoming a master
blender in his own right! The Padron Family, Litto Gomez, AJ Fernandez, Chief Hava,
Willy Herrera, Sean Williams (if you guys haven't smoked the Primer Mundo Epiphania
you should shoot yourself!) those guys know what time it is in the cigar business!