Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #21
GTsetGO
those were the droids

First Name: Rob
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
GTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Casa Magna-Overhyped and underwhelming

smoked one with java today. it was "okay". Definately not the best cigar that i have smoked this year..

During the smoking process it burned uneven and I had to relight it about 7 times as it kept going out.

fun times.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #22
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Nice review Bob. Thanks
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:40 AM   #23
Hardcz

Quote:
Originally Posted by borndead1 View Post
Try one. It's not that it's a bad cigar, we just can't figure out why it got #1 cigar of the year.
Because it doesn't suck, AND the price is 1/5 of some of the competing sticks....mind you they have better overall flavor, putting the price and flavor together you get a winner..... Though people I've seen have commented they believe it shouldn't receive #1 based on flavor alone.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:31 AM   #24
Killjoy

I passed on smoking one of these the other day in favour of my first red label 601..looks like I will try one of these enxt week.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:46 AM   #25
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcz View Post
Because it doesn't suck, AND the price is 1/5 of some of the competing sticks....mind you they have better overall flavor, putting the price and flavor together you get a winner..... Though people I've seen have commented they believe it shouldn't receive #1 based on flavor alone.
This is not a ringing endorsement of a cigar. I dont know where you are finding these so cheap. Online when they were available, they ran about $5.50 on average. IMHO this was not even a decent $5 smoke. So many other smokes out there that have more flavor at the same price point
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #26
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post
I passed on smoking one of these the other day in favour of my first red label 601..looks like I will try one of these enxt week.
This really is a pretty decent smoke, just not amazing. I would definitely smoke another if given then chance. But they would have to be at least $3 a stick by the box like my beloved Camachos before I'd consider it.

Now the 601 red, I'll pay a tad more for.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:04 PM   #27
Cigary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buena Fortuna View Post
Don't let someone else's opinion stop you from trying one, everyone's tastes and opinions are different. You certainly won't be wasting your money at that price point, and you may just like it...that's the reason there are so many great cigars blended every year. Spend $6 and post your own review and join in the fun
I hear that,,,often I have given out the same advice. Bobarian is one of those brothers I read quite often and pretty much listen to his advice and find it pretty accurate,,,,but I just might give one a try just so that I get my own opinion on it. Thx for the advice,,,sometimes I need a taste of my own.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #28
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
I hear that,,,often I have given out the same advice. Bobarian is one of those brothers I read quite often and pretty much listen to his advice and find it pretty accurate,,,,but I just might give one a try just so that I get my own opinion on it. Thx for the advice,,,sometimes I need a taste of my own.
I would definitely give them a shot. In fact it might might be the size just wasnt for me. When they become more readily available I would love to try a smaller RG.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:29 PM   #29
jaymz
God of Preservation

Trading: (17)
Cohiba
jaymz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
So many other smokes out there that have more flavor at the same price point
Care to offer up some suggestions? I've never had a Casa Magna, but I would definitely like to see what you are comparing these too.

Another question, does anyone know if this is the cheapest cigar that has hit the top ten on Cigar Afficianado? Usually it seems they don't seem to notice anything under non-cuban under $10.
jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #30
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymz View Post
Care to offer up some suggestions? I've never had a Casa Magna, but I would definitely like to see what you are comparing these too.

Another question, does anyone know if this is the cheapest cigar that has hit the top ten on Cigar Afficianado? Usually it seems they don't seem to notice anything under non-cuban under $10.
If you can get up to Orlando, Corona Cigars has one of the biggest assortments in the country.

Ton's of stuff under $10 to be recommended.

Full strength/Full flavor

Cruzado-I really like the little perfecto, Marela
Joya de Nicaragua Consul-powerhouse robusto, the Machito is also tasty in the PC size. I also like the lancero
Tatuaje Havana VI(red label)-I like the smaller sizes
Camacho Diploma(Corojo)-the 11/18 size may be the perfect smoke
Litto Gomez Diez-Not for the faint of heart, the Chisel will put you on the floor.
Camacho Triple Maduro-Probably the most expensive on this list but worth the $

Medium Full
Cabiguan-The petites are a great short smoke
Rocky Patel Sungrown-The only RP I will smoke
La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero-Most consider the Chisel a Full, the El Jocko is a tasty little perfecto, the Lancero is tasty
Tatuaje Miami(brown)-Especiales(lancero) is my fav
Oliva O, G and V-All great smokes-Try the Special G maduro and the V lancero

Bargain smokes
Don Kiki Brown Botella from Cuban Crafters
Sancho Panza Double Maduro

Those are just a few and I am sure I missed some. But I dont think you can go wrong with any of these.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:35 AM   #31
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

Just lit up the second of 2 sticks I bought. The first one was a huge "meh". I try to give most cigars a second chance, so I decided today is the day for the Casa Magna.

First 1/3
Very sweet on the draw, and that pure, instantly recognizable Nicaraguan spice in the nose, a little floral on the finish. This one already tastes way different from the first one. Maybe they just needed a few weeks in the humi.

Second 1/3
Wow, this is like a completely different cigar. A lot more flavor than the first one, better burn too. The place I bought them from always has the humidity cranked up in their humidor. I've seen it as high as 74% before. Amazing what a difference it makes. Flavor-wise, seems to be going back and forth between charred wood and floral, with the ever-present Nicaraguan bite in the nose exhale. They're growing some tasty tobacco down there in Nicaragua. This is definitely NOT one of your typical quadruple ligero bombs that are so popular these days. "Strength" is a solid medium.

Final 1/3
Getting a little ammonia, did a flame purge and it cleared up. This one could have used some more rest. Flavor-wise the floral is a little more upfront and the wood is gone. Floral and tangy. Let it die at just under 2".

This one was waaaaaay better than the first one I smoked. Still don't agree with the ranking though. But I will pick up a few more and put them to bed for a few months and revisit.
borndead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:48 AM   #32
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
The Dona Flor Selecao the year before last!!!

Under five dollars a stick!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #33
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

Quote:
Just lit up the second of 2 sticks I bought. The first one was a huge "meh". I try to give most cigars a second chance, so I decided today is the day for the Casa Magna.

First 1/3
Very sweet on the draw, and that pure, instantly recognizable Nicaraguan spice in the nose, a little floral on the finish. This one already tastes way different from the first one. Maybe they just needed a few weeks in the humi.

Second 1/3
Wow, this is like a completely different cigar. A lot more flavor than the first one, better burn too. The place I bought them from always has the humidity cranked up in their humidor. I've seen it as high as 74% before. Amazing what a difference it makes. Flavor-wise, seems to be going back and forth between charred wood and floral, with the ever-present Nicaraguan bite in the nose exhale. They're growing some tasty tobacco down there in Nicaragua. This is definitely NOT one of your typical quadruple ligero bombs that are so popular these days. "Strength" is a solid medium.

Final 1/3
Getting a little ammonia, did a flame purge and it cleared up. This one could have used some more rest. Flavor-wise the floral is a little more upfront and the wood is gone. Floral and tangy. Let it die at just under 2".

This one was waaaaaay better than the first one I smoked. Still don't agree with the ranking though. But I will pick up a few more and put them to bed for a few months and revisit.
Thanks bro, will have to revisit this one as well. Just a bit hard to find atm.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #34
GTsetGO
those were the droids

First Name: Rob
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
GTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura about

they only sent coronas out to the shops and have the robusto and another size on back order according to my local shop.

they are supposed to recieve more within a couple of weeks
Old 02-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #35
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
but no depth or complexity and barely any nic kick.
I had one for the first time last night and I wasn't overly impressed either, but I found that it did have quite a bit of nic kick. It wasn't bad but, I probably won't buy another one because like a lot of people have already stated; there are just too many other better cigars at the $5 price point.
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:44 PM   #36
MithShrike

Quote:
Try one. It's not that it's a bad cigar, we just can't figure out why it got #1 cigar of the year.
The reason I think it got #1 cigar is because of the Face2Face contracts that shops must sign in order to receive these. The contract is supposed to make it so that these cigars will only be sold in B&Ms and not at all online. I think Cigar Aficionado is trying to help drive more business into B&Ms.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:19 PM   #37
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Pick up a Oliva Serie V Dbl Robusto. MSRP is $5.50 and it was the #12 cigar of the year. See what you think of it.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #38
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

I am going to pull mine out of the humi tonight and see what all the fuss is about.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:04 PM   #39
Darrell

I had one the other day, it was the corona size. I could not get it to dry for ****. I was not impressed.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:11 PM   #40
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I got one a few weeks ago at Slippery Rock Cigars. Sofaman got one, too.
He smoked his and said "meh". Not that the cigar was bad, it just wasn't anything to dance about and certainly not a #1.
Mine is still in my humi. I think it's a torp. I'm looking forward to trying it just to see what it compares to. When I saw it and smelled it, it reminded me a LOT of Taboo's SFO.