Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 09-25-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
Nickerson

Thumbs up Gran Habano Vintage 2002

Cigar Name: Gran Habano, Vintage 2002.
Cigar Size: Robusto, 5"x50.
Wrapper Type: Corojo.

HURRICANE EARL! OH MY GOD! PANIC! Erm... Maybe not. Rained for like 4 hours last night and didn't even get 20 MPH winds. Some "hurricane". I can't stand the News. They made the biggest deal out of it for weeks with non-stop around the clock coverage, getting everyone in a panic over a possible mild hurricane, and ends up being nothing. Brought in some cool air though. Was about 78* out today with a nice cooler breeze. Awesome whether to relax and enjoy a nice cigar.

Recently there had been some talk about Gran Habano cigars. I've read nothing but mixed reviews. Some say they are "terrible" some say they are "great". I was lucky enough to be gifted a Gran Habano Vintage 2002 a couple weeks back. This is the CI exclusive one that looked more oiled up than an WWE Wrestler. It really isn't though, looks pretty good.

Construction: 8/10

The cigar is built well. Solid, no soft spots, hard spots, cracks or any other major flaws. The wrapper is a nice darker shade of rich brown with an almost leathery texture to it. Only reason I deducted points was there were a few dark spots scattered around the cigar. No big deal really.

Flavor: 19/25

I really enjoyed the flavor of this cigar. It was pretty much woody, toasty, and a little bit nutty throughout. Near the end it gives you just a slight touch of mild spice and the wrapper becomes a bit more of a leathery flavor. Overall it was very enjoyable. I'd say medium flavor, medium-full bodied, light strength.

Draw: 9/10

Exceptional draw. Take very little effort to draw smoke.

Burn: 9/10

It was slightly uneven from time to time. Never lopsided or anything like that, just a little bit wavy. Was easy to light, didn't burn hot, and stay lit well.

Ash: 4/5

Very nice light gray with a bit of salt and pepper look to it. Only deducted one point because it fell off around 1", which is fine. I usually try to go a little longer than an inch and then I ash it.

Smoke: 5/5

Sufficient amounts of think white clouds of smoke.

Impression: 31/35

I really enjoyed the cigar. It wasn't my ideal flavor profile but it was pretty flavorful and I did enjoy it. Pre-light the cigar looks great. Great shade wrapper, built solid, smells great. It smoked very well. Great construction, excellent draw, excellent burn, good flavor. $2.00 each. Hard to go wrong with this one. Well worth the money paid.

Overall Rating: 85

Guess I'll continue to mix the reviews on Gran Habano cigars. Though normally its their normal line that gets the most mixed reviews.

These are a great cigar for newbies as they are light strength with good flavor and a fantastic price. They can be enjoyed by veteran smokers as well.

If you haven't tried one yet, I suggest giving it a try.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: Gran Habano Vintage 2002

Nice review, been meaning to get some of these.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:18 PM   #3
jeepthing

Thanks nice review, been looking at these every time I get a new catalog. The picture makes them look great.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:20 AM   #4
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

First Name: Chingas
Trading: (35)
Partagas
Chingas has disabled reputation

A good cheap smoke for sure. Thanks for the review.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:45 AM   #5
baldanders
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jim
Trading: (4)
Partagas
baldanders is on a distinguished road

Nice review and a good smoke for the money.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
Matt1951
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Matt1951 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldanders View Post
Nice review and a good smoke for the money.
George Burns actual quote to Milton Berle, after Berle offered him a Cuban cigar in place of his El Producto, was that if he paid that much for a cigar, he would have to f*** it first.
Matt1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
SteelCityBoy
7th Heaven Will Commeth!!

First Name: Ken
Trading: (21)
Bolivar
SteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura aboutSteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura about

Smoking one of these as I type this...decided to search reviews and see what was out there on it.

I am a pretty new BOTL but my plalate is developing quickly as I burn almost 1 daily. I have had the urge lately to smoke full bodied complex smokes. This cigar is anything but that in my opinion. It is enjoyable so far and has a great aroma to it. Sweet kinda nutty smell. Not strong at all. I may even call it mild to medium body. Anyway it is a good change of pace so far so I will post my final thoughts once I am done.
SteelCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #8
SteelCityBoy
7th Heaven Will Commeth!!

First Name: Ken
Trading: (21)
Bolivar
SteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura aboutSteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityBoy View Post
Smoking one of these as I type this...decided to search reviews and see what was out there on it.

I am a pretty new BOTL but my plalate is developing quickly as I burn almost 1 daily. I have had the urge lately to smoke full bodied complex smokes. This cigar is anything but that in my opinion. It is enjoyable so far and has a great aroma to it. Sweet kinda nutty smell. Not strong at all. I may even call it mild to medium body. Anyway it is a good change of pace so far so I will post my final thoughts once I am done.
Alright, so I nubbed this one down to the end and I must say it was good. Not complex at all in my opinion as it seemed pretty consitent throughout the burn. Seemed to stay pretty mild-medium all the way through with a good burn and sweet nutty flavors and aromas. I enjoyed it for the most part and for the money would agree that it is worth a shot.
SteelCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:39 AM   #9
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

Pretty good, if a little bit bland. Good knock-around yard gar, tho. Glad they've added churches in last couple/few months. I thought these were comparable to the GH#5.....but I recently had a nicely aged #5 and I was wrong. The #5 was WAY better than recent 2002's I've had.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:00 AM   #10
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you Dave...the GH#5 are LOADS better.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #11
falconman515
Central Cali Cigar Crew

First Name: Chris
Trading: (35)
JL
falconman515 is on a distinguished road

These are great smokes just due to the fact that they taste pretty good and for the price they can be had for makes them a go to daily staple stick.
falconman515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:02 AM   #12
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

First Name: Jason
Trading: (24)
Partagas
deadrise has a spectacular aura aboutdeadrise has a spectacular aura about

I went threw 3+ bundles of these and loved them then got 2 bundles of the church hills and had a hard time getting rid of them they burn so bad and go out a lot still got some I am aging
Old 10-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #13
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the the review... It is a real good bang for your buck...