Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 07-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #4421
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Yea Mike, a friend of mine who runs a local sausage company has told me to just say I'm working for him.
Nice. Another plan while my in-laws are in town is to take them to Eastern Market. I've only been once, when met you there to pickup that coolidor. My wife has been wanting to go for some time. Do you know if they will be open for normal Sat stuff on 7/5?
Old 07-03-2014, 12:44 PM   #4422
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Just picked this up from Restaurant Depot. Choice grade full packer brisket for $3.59/lb. If you buy 40 lbs or more it drops to $3.29/lb. You need a business license to register for free membership. Not bad given the deals.

I plan on smoking it around 250 to an IT of 170. Then it'll go into an aluminum pan with some sauce made of apple juice, brown sugar, worshteshire, and some BBQ sauce. It'll be loosly covered after that and stay until IT gets to 195-200. That's when it'll come out to rest for 30-60 minutes before I remove the point. I really want to try my hand at burnt ends so the I want to re-rub the point where it was cut and put it back onto the smoker for another 4-5 hours, per what I've read here: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/burntends.html

My in-laws are in town and were raised on brisket flats cooked in the oven in a covered cassarole dish. It's fall apart tender but not my favorite way to eat brisket. I'm aiming for sliceable but nearly pullable tender and very moist; hence the finish in the foil/pan.

If any of you brisket vets wants to offer any suggestions please let me know. This is only my second brisket. I'll check back as soon as I can. My wife wants this ready for an early dinner or late lunch tomorrow. Given the weight of the meat I already realize that isn't likely to happen so I was kicking around the idea of higher cook temps maybe up to 275.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #4423
Will herf for food

VR

More info/questions on this smoke...
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/1...-on-burnt-ends
Old 07-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #4424
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
I plan on smoking it around 250 to an IT of 170. Then it'll go into an aluminum pan with some sauce made of apple juice, brown sugar, worshteshire, and some BBQ sauce. It'll be loosly covered after that and stay until IT gets to 195-200. That's when it'll come out to rest for 30-60 minutes before I remove the point. I really want to try my hand at burnt ends so the I want to re-rub the point where it was cut and put it back onto the smoker for another 4-5 hours, per what I've read here: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/burntends.html

My in-laws are in town and were raised on brisket flats cooked in the oven in a covered cassarole dish. It's fall apart tender but not my favorite way to eat brisket. I'm aiming for sliceable but nearly pullable tender and very moist; hence the finish in the foil/pan.

If any of you brisket vets wants to offer any suggestions please let me know. This is only my second brisket. I'll check back as soon as I can. My wife wants this ready for an early dinner or late lunch tomorrow. Given the weight of the meat I already realize that isn't likely to happen so I was kicking around the idea of higher cook temps maybe up to 275.
I smoked a brisket on Father's day. The key is going to be not to take it off until you can put in and take out a temperature probe like it is butter. I had mine internal temperature at 205 for over 1.5 hrs before it was tender enough. Make sure it gets enough time to rest after the cook too.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #4425
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I ended up with the Angus brisket Mike, from RD. $3.89/lb. Hard to beat.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:00 PM   #4426
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
I ended up with the Angus brisket Mike, from RD. $3.89/lb. Hard to beat.
Mine didn't say angus on the printed label but when I flipped it over the pastic said USDA Choice and it also said Certified Black Angus.

I think we're both in for some good eats. I've taken a few pics and I'll post them later. I ended up starting it tonight as my wife made plans for us for tomorrow evening. Need brisket ready for lunch instead.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:10 AM   #4427
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I plan on smoking it around 250 to an IT of 170. Then it'll go into an aluminum pan with some sauce made of apple juice, brown sugar, worshteshire, and some BBQ sauce. It'll be loosly covered after that and stay until IT gets to 195-200. That's when it'll come out to rest for 30-60 minutes before I remove the point.
I would put in a pan at 185+ and just finish/bathe it in the sauce till 200.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #4428
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

I received my Smokey Mountain yesterday...WOOHOO! I wanted to give it an initial "seasoning" smoke so I picked something fatty: chicken wings. Here they are after about an hour -

Old 07-06-2014, 03:47 PM   #4429
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

What time is dinner?
Old 07-06-2014, 03:52 PM   #4430
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

10 minutes, Peter; got yourself a rocket car?

Here they are right before coming off, with a spicy honey-BBQ glaze I threw together:

Old 07-06-2014, 08:00 PM   #4431
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Here's the brisket I did Friday. Never got a pic of the burnt ends, the pan never made it off the grill.

Took to 205 IT. Next time I'll go to only 200. The point was too tender, making it hard to cut for burnt ends.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (101.8 KB, 378 views)
Old 07-06-2014, 08:48 PM   #4432
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Man, that brisket is making my hungry!
Old 07-07-2014, 06:59 AM   #4433
GTsetGO
those were the droids

First Name: Rob
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
GTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Just picked this up from Restaurant Depot. Choice grade full packer brisket for $3.59/lb. If you buy 40 lbs or more it drops to $3.29/lb. You need a business license to register for free membership. Not bad given the deals.

love the rest depot. I get all my meat at the one here in Va Beach.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #4434
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
I smoked a brisket on Father's day. The key is going to be not to take it off until you can put in and take out a temperature probe like it is butter. I had mine internal temperature at 205 for over 1.5 hrs before it was tender enough. Make sure it gets enough time to rest after the cook too.
Somehow I missed this post and failed to heed its advice.

Here's the packer trimmed up. As you can see my knife work needs some work.

All rubbed up and put onto the smoker

Removed and ready for a rest:

The flat sliced up:
Old 07-09-2014, 12:49 PM   #4435
Will herf for food

VR

And...the point being cubed up. The point got smoked 4 hours longer than the flat. I let both rest, separated them, put the flat back in the cooler to rest, reseasoned the point (where cut from the flat), and back onto the smoke it went.

Here's the burnt ends drizzled in the drippings and sauce used in the foil/pan/crutch.

Last but not least is our improvised outdoor spread for Independence Day lunch:
Old 07-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #4436
Will herf for food

VR

To Christos's advice: The IT read 203 when I pulled the full brisket off and rested it. I did NOT test for tenderness. The flat was juicy and tasty but not quite as tender as I'd like. Don't get me wrong, every bite was eaten but, the crowd favored the burnt ends as they were more tender and more flavorful with the crispy bark they had. Next time I may not crutch the brisket or I may even try to to a wet to dry method to get better bark. But, I WILL test for tenderness once IT target is reached.

To the burnt ends: I've read a number of ways to "do" them. All I did was double smoke the point, cube it, and drizzle a little sauce on it. I read some people fry it in trimmed fat after, and/or cook it in a pan with sauce to carmelize it a bit. I did none of these and it tasted great. Any preferences/tips here?

One more question: I notice many of your briskets have a perfect 360 degree smoke ring. Mine did not. Do you flip your brisket at some point while cooking? I read mixed suggestions for/against. Given that, I did not flip and cooked fat cap up.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:24 PM   #4437
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Mike, i didn't flip my brisket. Only the flat end that wasn't covered by the point got a smoke ring all the way around. The rest only had the smoke ring on the bottom.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #4438
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

BTW, yours looks really good. Nice job.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:37 PM   #4439
Will herf for food

VR

Thanks Bob. I appreciate the compliment from someone who's been smoking meat quite a bit longer than I have. Also, that makes sense about the smoke ring.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #4440
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

My first attempt at baby backs on the new Weber just went on.