Old 05-23-2013, 06:47 PM   #1021
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation
Default Re: Being a Hockey Parent

Working till 830. Going to go home try to sleep for 5 hours then get up at 230 and drive to Valencia for a 730am game. Then a 5pm game. Then we drive to corona 1.5 hours where we spend the night and play roller all day saturday. Saturday night and sunday night we stay in Valencia. He has a 7am ice game. Then we drive back to corona where he plays roller for rest of day and hopefully plays for title. Monday back at valencia to finish up ice tourney and drive home.

He better appreciate this crap cause its going to suck for dad.

Friday Valencia ice hockey
Saturday Corona 6am first game then games till evening
Sunday Valencia ice in am then Corona roller in Afternoon
Monday Valencia ice

Seems less confusing to write this way

Last edited by Ahbroody; 05-23-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #1022
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
Working till 830. Going to go home try to sleep for 5 hours then get up at 230 and drive to Valencia for a 730am game. Then a 5pm game. Then we drive to corona 1.5 hours where we spend the night and play roller all day saturday. Saturday night and sunday night we stay in Valencia. He has a 7am ice game. Then we drive back to corona where he plays roller for rest of day and hopefully plays for title. Monday back at valencia to finish up ice tourney and drive home.

He better appreciate this crap cause its going to suck for dad.

Friday Valencia ice hockey
Saturday Corona 6am first game then games till evening
Sunday Valencia ice in am then Corona roller in Afternoon
Monday Valencia ice

Seems less confusing to write this way
"Being a Hockey Parent".....

Best of luck this weekend!
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #1023
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Well the roller went beyond well. They lost 1 game all weekend. The loss was to Anarchy 949 which is a team composed largely of jr kings ice hockey players. They played that team in the championship game and won 5-4. Winning the 8U division. This was an AAU jr. Olympics qualifier in Corona. M didnt do much had an assist or 2. His big moment came when he absolutely destroyed a kid who cut from the wing towards the net while looking backwards. He turned into Ms path as he was coming down as a center for support. He saw the kid but didnt alter his path. Ended up just drilling the kid and getting away with it. Kid was down for about 2 minutes crying. It really seemed to affect their team. They took a bad pematy afterwards which resulted in a goal.

Ice has been horrible. We ended up having to switch most of our D to forwards because they are useless. Our forwards were spending most the game back checking anyway. They are in 6th out of 8 teams and play a consolation game in the AM. Then home.

Giving him a restfrom hockey for a few weeks when we get back.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:35 AM   #1024
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Congrats on the roller win! Always nice to finish with a trophy.....

The HS team is in disarray.... One game look like they have it figured out, then chit the bed.... Better figure this out in the Summer or it is going to be a long regular season. The team looked like a bunch of kids at "Drop In" for a Sunday skate. The Little Man is not immune, I told him that he looked like he was disinterested at best, the first 2 periods.... Games like that make me want to tear out my hair....lucky, I don't have any.

On of the few photos I got of the game, as I tend to put the camera down when I am frustrated.... Don't know why, not really intentional....I think when there is no flow, it makes it difficult to follow with a lens and I lose interest in shooting.... Anyway, goal.... Wicked wrist shot bringing it into the zone.....not sure the goalie even saw it(he was blocked by his own guy....

Stayed for the JV game, the son of a good friend is going to be a Fr. He had a hattrick by the end of the 2nd(when I left).... Though this looks like it may go wide, nope....RING!!!!...GOAL!!!

Old 06-27-2013, 12:03 AM   #1025
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Beat an old rival tonight that apparently has fallen on hard times..... It was ugly.... LM didn't take many shots, as I think they were directed not to.....A LOT of just passing to pass. But he rang a few posts and had a BOOMING one timer that the goalie didn't have a chance at. So ugly, he just sat, smiled and went to get ready for the face off....

I really don't know what this team is going to do when we hit the regular season, but they are surprising me in the Summer.....

Signed contracts for both kids on travel....UGH..... Cigar budget just went in the chitter.... LM is playing for the AA Regulators and the Little One is playing for the Lightning. Little One had an offer for the Regulators, but we took the Lightning, which is cheaper and I think will put a better team on the ice. I think the Jr. Grizzlies will be a really good team(think they were like 3-1-2 against the Lightning last year) and I got an email 2 days before tryouts, expressing desire for her to be there, I told the coach we were set for the 13/14 season. She had skated with them during the Spring..... I just couldn't justify the 1K difference in cost for the same ice & travel for an 8 year old(playing up as a '05).
Old 06-27-2013, 12:05 AM   #1026
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Strange, look at those last two posts and a month ago, frustration....this one, pleased..... Guess we hit the meat of the schedule and are on a roll.... Those early losses still sting when I think about them....ugh....
Old 07-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #1027
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Figured I would put his roller blades to good use as he says he doesnt want to play roller hockey next year.
little 4th july workout.

Last Saturday.

Decided instead of driving an hour and paying money to use a hockey treadmill, I would just make him skate parking garage ramps. Garage is 4 floors because it has an underground level so for him its an ass kicker. Hes usually wasted after 4 trips to the top. Also doing a little running. My goal is to get him to run a 5k with me by end of summer like abbs did.

Video bizznasty tweeted the other day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozDD...e_gdata_player

Last edited by Ahbroody; 07-05-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #1028
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Like that first pic, him going around the corner.....

First all girls hockey came in Utah..... The Little One was a bit nervous dropping her off, but was as good as gold once she went into the locker room....

Old 07-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #1029
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Old 07-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #1030
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

While the girls worked....we went and did a little work ourselves....including some lunch...

Old 07-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #1031
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Kids finished the 2 day camp with a kick ball game(actually had a pizza lunch and talk, just after this, but it was the last activity)

Recovery beverage.....

Old 07-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #1032
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Man you look like your working way to hard. Awesome photos. Love it when you can see they are having a great time.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #1033
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

The boy and his buddy are going to sneak into a Jr. Sharks tryout prep clinic this week. Supposed to be 04 to 02. Signed them up and I am sure they will blend in except for size. Even that shoukd be fine as there are usually some small 04s which they will be as tall as. The blackhawks have been doing a skills skate 2 times a week preping for tryouts. He got moved uo to the squirt group with them and has been busting his arse. Getting closer to age 8 and seeing that mental jump and inderstanding starting to happen. Shoukd be a fun year. Tryouts next weekend. Hes already on team but got him going hard this weekend and this week to look his best
Old 07-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #1034
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Tell M good luck, I'm sure he's going to crush!
Old 07-19-2013, 01:23 AM   #1035
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Two 05s in a 04-02 clinic. Got a lot of attention and were by far not the worse kids. Had a lot of kids asking how old they were and who they were trying out for.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #1036
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Look at that flow....
Old 07-31-2013, 09:23 PM   #1037
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Hey EJ how old is your son? My kids U16 team has joined the NJPHL and I see there are 2 Utah Grizzlie teams, a U16 and U18.

Just wondering if your son still plays there?

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #1038
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
Hey EJ how old is your son? My kids U16 team has joined the NJPHL and I see there are 2 Utah Grizzlie teams, a U16 and U18.

Just wondering if your son still plays there?
He's a '96, so moved to U18's this year and jumped ship to the Regulators.... Didn't even go to Oly's(the coach) U18 Grizzlies tryout. I'm interested to see who is on that team(have yet to see a roster) though & how they'll compete.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #1039
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Ouch....here we go! Cash goes out, practice time fills up, travel plans being made.... Going to be a busy 7 month!

All that said....yiiipppeeee!!!
Old 08-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #1040
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Just registered for the Lady Lightning U12 team that the Little One has been invited to play on. Should be interesting. Extension of the U14 Lady Lightning, which to date, has been our only youth girls travel team. Really, the only youth level all girls team locally. They have been really competitive and I think related to that success, they are trying to grow the program. That is apparent with the formation of this team, as well as a U16 tournament team.

The U12 Lady Lightning team will play in a "Squirt" U10 house league that is made up of 95% boys. They are a special entry team, most the girls will be playing on one of those other house teams with the boys. They will not practice as a team, just play 17 games. They are going to try to see if travel to a few all girls tournaments is viable.

The kicker, a few of the girls....my daughter included, are playing on travel teams, which would normally preclude them from playing house league. I am interested to see how they are going to compete.

I am sure that we will have more than our fair share of conflicts and probably only play in 10ish games(total guess), but when I ask the Little One about it, she was all in. She REALLY loves the Lady Lightning coach, who will also be coaching this team as well.