Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 10-22-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation
Default Cigar Register 2.0

Ok, I saw a post or two on “do you inventory”. I’m fairly new so, an inventory is a good way for me to remember what’s what and a history of what I liked. I started an Excel spreadsheet and quickly decided that was going to be too much work. I looked at Cigar Briefcase and it looked a bit simple and no real database to work with. This left me with Cigar Register, so this is a review of Cigar Register v2.0 after about a month of use.

Install
The install is quick and very clean. It uses a .NET base and installs in the back ground with user interaction. CR installs to the Program Files folder and will require admin rights for the install.

Start up and Configuration
Start up can appear to be slow, but that is the program syncing with database over the Internet. Options include the ability to do the following:
Synchronization – You can sync you data, wish list and reviews with www.cigartower.com. I choose not to as I’m a bit private and don’t share personal info too often.
Measurements – You can set RG, metric or inch, Celsius or Fahrenheit.
Language – Choices are Dutch, English and Magyar

Major Tabs

Home
Home is where you will see the news of cigars. As an example, today I had news on new fake Padrons and two new lines of the God of Fire smokes.

Cigar Database
Here CR comes pre-loaded with ton of brands and lines of cigars. From here if your current cigar is not in the database it is easy to add. Click on the add button and fill in the blanks. Only difficulty for this new guy is finding the wrapper/filler/binder info on the net.

Your right click, way to easy here. Select any cigar in the database, right click on it and you get the following options: delete the cigar, edit (in case you made a typo while adding to the database), add to humidor (more to follow), and light up (more to follow).

There is also a section for searching the database by county, brand and/or cigar name.

My Cigars

Adding
Here is your collection, first off add a humidor. Click the add humidor button and you get to add info such as type, cost, cigar count, etc. Too easy.

Adding Cigars Well, now that we have a humi, we need to add cigars to it. Basically two way, either click the add cigar button and fill in all the blocks such as count, wrapper, country, etc. No fun and almost like work. The easy way, click back over the the cigar database, add if not in it, drag and drop the cigar into the humi. It will ask how many, cost, how you got it (trade, purchase) and your done.

Humidor measures
All the humidors you add get their own statistics database. Click on the add statistics button and it will allow you to add the temp and humidity for that day. It keeps a running bar graph allowing for easy eye tracking of the trends and a by date listing of the numbers. Excellent when you are trying to settle in a new bulk load of cigars or a new humidor.

Cigar count
There is also a bar graph to show how many cigars are in the humidor. Either I don’t know how to read it or its way off. There is also a number by each humidor name that shows cigar count for that humidor – this number is accurate.

Deleting a cigar is done one of two ways. Select it with the mouse and then right click. You can delete, edit the number or “light it up”.

Other info
Other tabs that are available are, see all cigars regardless of humi at a glance, a running history of every cigar you have had in a humi, and a wish list (more for Cigar Towers use IMO if you choose to up load it).

Light it Up
Last but not least, light it up. You add your smoking thought here. It allows you to log you time, place, how the smoke went in parts, the ash, construction, etc.

Thoughts

Pro

Pretty easy to use, large pre-built database of cigars that’s easy to edit. Allows for many humidors with individualistic statistics. The light it up and total cigar history are nice touches. Best to start using before you have 3000 cigars in the humis. To those who like the news, the rss feed is nice. Overall it's helping me out. I know what I have and where it's at. Easy to maintain and to keep accurate. I love the "light it up", it helps to keep me straight on what I liked and didn't.

Cons

Some of the measurements seem off and the mm to inch seems a little weird, hrd to explain. Easy to delete the wrong cigar if not paying attention, you need to select your cigar first, then execute the desired action.
Volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:38 PM   #2
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cigar Register 2.0

I used that for a while. Then it seemed like I was keeping up with cigars more than I was actually smoking and enjoying them. I actually don't keep up with what I have now. I like to try lots of different cigars, so when I reach in the humi I never know what I am going to get. It did seem to be pretty good software though, and if I ever decide to keep up with it again I will use Cigar Register.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:53 PM   #3
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Where can you get the software? Is there a cost?

Johnny
Old 10-22-2008, 08:25 PM   #4
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I believe it is free. You do have to register though (I think).
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:35 PM   #5
Dood
Pull my finger

Trading: (0)
Partagas
Dood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
Where can you get the software? Is there a cost?

Johnny
The software is available at :

http://www.cigarregister.com/

The download speed used to be real s l o w.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:41 PM   #6
Spect
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
LGC
Spect is on a distinguished road

It looks like they finally fixed that error where the cigar database wouldn't update.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:39 AM   #7
PSUBALL10
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
PSUBALL10 is on a distinguished road

It doesnt appear this works with a Mac. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am using a spreadsheet now.....
PSUBALL10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:46 AM   #8
kayaker

thanks for the review and the link.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:20 AM   #9
zmancbr
CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER!!

First Name: Zach
Trading: (41)
HUpmann
zmancbr has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spect View Post
It looks like they finally fixed that error where the cigar database wouldn't update.
Are you still using this pretty regularly? I quit adding my smokes after awhile since I couldn't find one that worked they way I wanted it too...
zmancbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:28 AM   #10
CoroHo

I just installed it and it's pretty cool.

Some of the links to Cigar Tower stuff were in Hungarian, but a quick trip to Tools|Options fixed that.

Thanks for the link!
Old 10-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #11
kwoody

Its a good program but it seemed it was still missing a lot of cigars even after it finally updated its database. But from what else I have seen out there this is a great program.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:23 AM   #12
mrreindeer

great post Volt - going there now
Old 10-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #13
kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoody View Post
Its a good program but it seemed it was still missing a lot of cigars even after it finally updated its database.
I'm finding that too. And I seem to be having problems updating my data base.

I can enter a new cigar (Like a DPG Black 1950 Toro) and all the info, but then cannot really select it to add to my collection.

Am I missing something?
Old 10-24-2008, 09:11 AM   #14
CoroHo

Hmm, no Gurkhas in the database yet. Not a one. I guess we need to get busy?
Old 10-24-2008, 11:21 AM   #15
kwoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post

I can enter a new cigar (Like a DPG Black 1950 Toro) and all the info, but then cannot really select it to add to my collection.

Am I missing something?

Try to keep updating it. It took me a few times to get it to actually update.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:50 PM   #16
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post

Am I missing something?

After clicking on the Cigar database, scroll down and find the stick you want to add. Drag and drop it on the Humi you want to add it to. A pop up will ask how many, price, where you got it at, etc. Pm if you need more help.
Volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #17
kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
After clicking on the Cigar database, scroll down and find the stick you want to add. Drag and drop it on the Humi you want to add it to. A pop up will ask how many, price, where you got it at, etc. Pm if you need more help.
Thanks Volt. I've got that part down. However, there is also a function that lets you add to the database itself. For example, there are no Rocky Patels or Don Pepin Garcias in the database. I tried adding them, but it doesn't seem to really add them.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:13 PM   #18
TOB9595
Managing the UnManageable

First Name: Tom
Trading: (12)
TOB9595 is on a distinguished road

hmmmm
I'll also be giving this a try
Thanks for the info and link, guys
Tom
TOB9595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:13 AM   #19
nofeardiver
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (4)
nofeardiver will become famous soon enough

Wow great post, have been looking for something like this, i went the writing them down in a book route, now i only have 155 cigars so that isnt a huge issue but my humi grow with every pay check if you know what i mean... Thanks again
nofeardiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:32 AM   #20
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)

Damn, talk about an old post coming to light again There is a journal section there as well for your notes if you keep them on how the smoke went.