Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-19-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light
Default Macanudo Cru Royale toro

At the B&Ms I usually follow my rule of "If the band says 'Mac', put it back!" But today while in the renowned Party Source humidor I was clued into the just-hit-the-shelf Macanudo Cru Royale.

Full-bodied (imagine that) and compared to their last "cigars for manly men" entry, the Macanudo 1968, the Cru is affordably priced.

Along with the full flavor and decent strength, this new entry burned and smoked up nicely.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Macanudo Cru Royale toro

Thanks for the review
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

I know it's not much of a review really, but since everybody's tastes are different anyhow, I just try to hit the high points (or low points if a cigar is bad) and let people draw their own conclusions when they get hold of the stick in question themselves.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I picked up a lonsdale this weekend. I will let you know what I think when I smoke it.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Thanks! I know Macanudo is "America's best-selling cigar" but it would be nice if they offered a reasonably priced cigar for the fuller body crowd. Hopefully they did it this time! I'll be on the lookout for them!
Old 10-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
GolfNut
Back in the woodshop!

First Name: Forrest
Trading: (38)
Partagas
GolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura about

I've never had a Mac of any kind. I'll have to look around for one. Thanks for the info.
GolfNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:01 PM   #7
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough

I got one free at the General cigar's 75th anniversary party during IPCPR week. It was actually pretty good. At first I saw Macanudo and thought, o crap.... but it wasn't like the other crap-sticks they produced and I'd actually buy this one. That and the 1968 are the only two Macs I'd smoke.
thebayratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

I had a Robusto:
It’s not the prettiest cigar I’ve seen. The wrapper had some noticeable veins (and by that I mean you can actually feel the veins in the wrapper standing out). You get the sense that if you drag your thumbnail across the wrapper that you could hook the vein and pull it out. The wrapper had a fair amount of oils present and the cigar itself was firm enough that I was worried about how it would draw. The pre-light smell was of leather and wood.
While I was expecting a burst of spice on the first draw, I just didn’t taste it. There was almost no spice for the first few puffs and then it slowly started to develop but I just continued to have the sense that there was no spice present at any time. The dominant flavor I found at first was leather with a hint of cedar and a slight bittersweet cocoa and after the first inch it was more a creamy and smooth flavor with a general sweet woodiness. Throughout the hour and twenty minutes that I smoked the Cru Royale, I did however catch fleeting tastes of nuts and cocoa powder and a subtle sweetness but nothing really stood out and made me say, “Wow!” It never did develop any enough spiciness for me though even though it did seem to get slightly stronger towards the end.
I found the construction to be as flawless as usual for a Macanudo (except for the veins in the wrapper). The burn throughout was even and only needed retouching once after the half way through. The grayish white ash had a slight brown tinge at the start but the tinge wasn’t noticeable at any other time. One thing that surprised me was that the ash held on until almost the halfway mark before it fell off.
The draw was easier than I expected because of the firmness of the cigar and it produced plenty of smoke. One thing I definitely liked was the post-smoke aroma of the cigar that I could still smell on my hands two hours after enjoying it. I’ve found that a good cigar usually leaves a good tobacco aroma on your hands after smoking it. This one did that, my hands still smelled like an enjoyable smoke.
The one I tried was given to me by one of the owners of Habanos in Slidell so I’m not sure what the Macanudo Cru Royale Robustos will retail for but I would expect it to be in the $5 to $7 range. It wasn’t the most complex cigar I’ve ever smoked but it was an enjoyable way to spend the afternoon and is worth revisiting. I would recommend this as a good introductory or gift cigar for people who are new to the enjoyment of fine cigars.