Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 02-24-2015, 03:50 PM   #1
burayild
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
burayild is on a distinguished road
Default Custom Cabinet Humidor Project

Hello Everyone,

First of all this is my first post in the forums and wanted to say hi to all of you.

I've been a cigar user and collector for years now and I think its time to step up the game. I have decided to work with a local carpenter in creating my custom made humidor cabinet.

I've been searching for a while now and have found a few humidification units. I'm specifically interested in the ones listed below. http://www.aristocrathumidors.com/electronic.htm

I have had a hard time finding a cooling unit for the humidor. Thermoelectric behind cabinet cooling unit would a great choice and I've been browsing many sites and finally came along the following.
http://seifertsystems.com/

I would love all of your opinions and suggestions.

This will a long project and I want it come out right.

Thank you
burayild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:16 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Custom Cabinet Humidor Project

I have a Set and Forget two resevoir unit from Artistocrat and love it.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:42 PM   #3
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I have a Set and Forget two resevoir unit from Artistocrat and love it.
Same, no cooling just humidification, are you in a place you are going to need the cooling aspect?
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:52 PM   #4
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
Same, no cooling just humidification, are you in a place you are going to need the cooling aspect?
I was about to ask the same. Active cooling complicates your design because as air cools, its relative humidity will rise. You also want an active humidifier. So, you have 2 ways to raise RH and none to lower it. So, if you live in a very dry climate, that might be good. But, in general, it might be overdoing it.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:00 PM   #5
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
I was about to ask the same. Active cooling complicates your design because as air cools, its relative humidity will rise. You also want an active humidifier. So, you have 2 ways to raise RH and none to lower it. So, if you live in a very dry climate, that might be good. But, in general, it might be overdoing it.
Agreed.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:01 AM   #6
burayild
Just in from the Storm

Thanks for the replies. The active cooling part of the project is still up in air. I live in a Mediterranean climate where we do get all 4 seasons thus I might be overdoing it with the cooling part of the project.
I'm still undecided about that but with your guidance it seems like I maybe straying away from the cooling aspect of the unit as it may complicate things.

I've been researching the humidification part of the project and came across Cigar Oasis Magna. It's a WIFI controlled unit and can accommodate humidity 10 to 30 cubit feet. It provides humidification via humidifcation beads. It also comes with two small computer fan like fans where you place for air flow. I do like the aristocrat humidifiers.

What would say about the Magna oasis? Also about the usage of fans in the humidors?
Old 02-26-2015, 09:25 AM   #7
Sadden
Its only money...

First Name: Colin
Cohiba
Sadden will become famous soon enough

I tried the polymer beads in my set and forget. The problem is that while they are still expanding theres no surface area to have water pulled up into the fan.

The wick setup is far superior IMO.

I would take the S&F over any gimmicky wifi setup all day long.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:28 AM   #8
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by burayild View Post
Thanks for the replies. The active cooling part of the project is still up in air. I live in a Mediterranean climate where we do get all 4 seasons thus I might be overdoing it with the cooling part of the project.
I'm still undecided about that but with your guidance it seems like I maybe straying away from the cooling aspect of the unit as it may complicate things.

I've been researching the humidification part of the project and came across Cigar Oasis Magna. It's a WIFI controlled unit and can accommodate humidity 10 to 30 cubit feet. It provides humidification via humidifcation beads. It also comes with two small computer fan like fans where you place for air flow. I do like the aristocrat humidifiers.

What would say about the Magna oasis? Also about the usage of fans in the humidors?
All humidification devices require some sort of airflow to be effective -- the moisture needs a way to get distributed. I think fans are a great solution if your humidor is very full, which can limit or inhibit natural airflow.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:42 AM   #9
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

It would be helpful to have a more precise idea of where you live, so that temperature extremes, duration, and year-round RH can be considered. For example, being on the Amalfi Coast is Mediterranean, but different from, say Cannes.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:06 AM   #10
burayild
Just in from the Storm

I live in Istanbul. Temperate climate. Semi humid throughout the year. Temperatures during summer months can go up to 100. Not sure too much about the quantitive humidity values. I've decided to stay away from adding climate control unit to the cabinet. Would love to hear more of your humidifcation recommendations.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:13 PM   #11
AdamJoshua

AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Is where you live air conditioned? Also do you freeze your sticks was just thinking the hot humid weather isn't that big of a deal, look at Cuba, but if it's going to be that warm in the cabinet you might want to get into the practice of freezing your sticks to try and kill any critters / their eggs. There are some good threads on that here too.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:13 PM   #12
burayild
Just in from the Storm

i don't think it get that warm here in Istanbul. Thinking about it I think i'm going to sway away from a cooling mechanism as it complicates the project greatly. i'm still looking into the best solution for a humidification device. any opinions in regard to that?
thanks everyone for all your help again...
Old 03-02-2015, 05:33 PM   #13
AdamJoshua

Sound good I didn't know the average temp there. I have an Aristocrat with the set and forget humidification system and love it. I have the M-Plus Deep model with two large water reserves, it also uses the wick system.