Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 05-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
PenguinsFan88

Default In Terms Of Canadian Sellers, Has Anyone Ever Bought A Humidor From...

Hey again all,

So while I'm still doing alot of research as I wanna buy my first humidor in the future, I found two humidor dealers that are already located here in Canada. Has anyone ever heard of or dealt with http://cigarstar.ca/home.html or http://humidorsdirect.ca/index.php I've looked at both places and did find a few humidors that I liked on each site. Anyone know anything about the humidors featured in these links?

http://humidorsdirect.ca/humidor_catalina.php

http://cigarstar.ca/cigar-accessorie...&category_id=1

http://cigarstar.ca/cigar-accessorie...&category_id=1

While Cigar Star are convieniantly located here in Ontario (in Brantford which is located only less than an hour away from where I'll be in October), they only offer 30 day warranties. Whereas HumidorsDirect (who are in Calgary) have a 10 year warranty etc. on theirs.

What should I do?
Old 05-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
DMK
S.O.B.

First Name: Darryl
Trading: (86)
Partagas
DMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really nice
Default Re: In Terms Of Canadian Sellers, Has Anyone Ever Bought A Humidor Fro

Buy a cooler.
I went the route of first one humi, then a second, was gifted a third, and finally bought what I thought was going to be the final humi
I now have four empty humi's and two coolers full of cigars. One for NC & one for CC.
If you insist on a wood one, wait until you are down closer and you can have one of my empty ones.... but really.... buy a cooler.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
PenguinsFan88

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
Buy a cooler.
I went the route of first one humi, then a second, was gifted a third, and finally bought what I thought was going to be the final humi
I now have four empty humi's and two coolers full of cigars. One for NC & one for CC.
If you insist on a wood one, wait until you are down closer and you can have one of my empty ones.... but really.... buy a cooler.
While I appreciate your offer of a wooden humi and the cooler idea, I can't afford to smoke enough that I'd need a cooler.

To fill you you folks in about my cigar smoking habits, even though I'm on an even tighter budget now (as I'll be moving to Kitchener by October) I'm the type of guy that'll just buy random single CC's or NC's whenever I can afford to. I like to sample whatever I can try whenever I can afford to buy good cigars on occasion. Throughout my journey, I've found and tried some damn good smokes IMO. As again I'm essentially pretty poor. I'll usually spend about $12-25 per cigar and buy a few at a time (i.e. 3 or 4 depending on price) when I can afford to do so.

Idealistically, I'd love to get a basic humidor setup going after I move in to my new apartment in Kitchener in October. Nothing huge, I'm sure a 20-25 count humidor will do. As like I said I don't have much money but I will splurge and buy single or (hopefully if I can when I move) sample packs of cigars whenever I can. I'd love to get just a nice, basic, humidor setup going (that's as easy to set up and to maintain as possible) so that I can store and age random cigars that I buy (after I move ) if I don't wanna smoke them right away. I know I can't afford good boxes of premium cigars (i.e. boxes of R&J or Cohiba), but I would love to order sampler packs online if I could get a basic humidor setup going and then that way I could have a nice variety of singles at my disposal for whenever I want to smoke them. I.E. during hockey games and such.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
DMK
S.O.B.

First Name: Darryl
Trading: (86)
Partagas
DMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really nice

So buy a small cooler, and when you outgrow it you can use it for beer...
Old 05-14-2012, 12:52 AM   #5
trendo
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Troy
Trading: (16)
trendo is on a distinguished road

If you don't care about looks, just use Tupperware. It's cheap and it works better than any wood humidor I own.
trendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:08 AM   #6
ArgusP2
It's Smokin' Time!

First Name: Angel
Trading: (13)
RA
ArgusP2 is a jewel in the roughArgusP2 is a jewel in the roughArgusP2 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trendo View Post
If you don't care about looks, just use Tupperware. It's cheap and it works better than any wood humidor I own.
+1

If money is a concern, tupperware is a whole lot cheaper than a wooden humidor or a cooler!

-Bdawg
ArgusP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
PenguinsFan88

While I am familiar with the Tupperware concept, I know my fiance wouldn't wanna look at a Tuppador on the desk in our bedroom lol.

Figured a nice looking humi would keep us both happy. Gotta keep the Mrs. happy after all. Especially since she makes way more $ than I do and will surprise me with a few sticks here and there. Plus well, I want her to legally become my Mrs. someday.

As for a budget, I figure I'd spend up to $150 plux tax on a good humidor. My birthday is in October as well and I have been suggested here and there to my fiance that I want one. I've thought of even splitting the cost of one with her.

I just don't know the best place in Canada to order a humi which is why I had made this thread to ask how Cigar Star or HumidorsDirect are in terms of quality, service etc.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #8
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinsFan88 View Post
While I am familiar with the Tupperware concept, I know my fiance wouldn't wanna look at a Tuppador on the desk in our bedroom lol. So put it in a drawer or closet. Problem solved.

Figured a nice looking humi would keep us both happy. Gotta keep the Mrs. happy after all. Especially since she makes way more $ than I do and will surprise me with a few sticks here and there. Plus well, I want her to legally become my Mrs. someday. If she is your fiancée, isn't that imminent?

As for a budget, I figure I'd spend up to $150 plux tax on a good humidor. My birthday is in October as well and I have been suggested here and there to my fiance that I want one. I've thought of even splitting the cost of one with her. Sounds like the humidor option is outside your budget for now.

I just don't know the best place in Canada to order a humi which is why I had made this thread to ask how Cigar Star or HumidorsDirect are in terms of quality, service etc.
Comments in red.

My and worth as much.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
PenguinsFan88

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Comments in red.

My and worth as much.
1. Yep I knew that about the drawer or closet thing.

2. Of course it's imminent. I was trying to make a joke in the vein of "well maybe she'll break off the engagement if she'll have to look at an eyesore of a tuppador on our desk day in day out." Y'know how women can gripe about us men and our man-toys and belongings.

3. Well I wouldn't be buying anything until after I'm all moved in as I said. But yeah I figure $150 + tax (or around there) oughta be a good budget for my first humidor. And hell if I get one as a birthday present, then I can just use what would have been my humi budget for accessories or sticks. Ditto for if my fiance and I split the cost of a humidor. As if she wanted to buy me one, I'd feel bad about her spending an arm and a leg, it's just how I am.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
GWN
Snow City

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
GWN will become famous soon enoughGWN will become famous soon enough

Try http://www.canadahumidor.com/
Owner is on another board and recommended by the folks there.
You can pick up a small box for $60 or so and then flip it on kijiji when you outgrow it.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
PenguinsFan88

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWN View Post
Try http://www.canadahumidor.com/
Owner is on another board and recommended by the folks there.
You can pick up a small box for $60 or so and then flip it on kijiji when you outgrow it.
Yeah I thought of going through them but their homepage says they are moving and as a result they don't have much inventory left.

I wonder when they'll be back up 100% A-OK again?
Old 05-15-2012, 04:48 AM   #12
GWN
Snow City

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
GWN will become famous soon enoughGWN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yeah I thought of going through them but their homepage says they are moving and as a result they don't have much inventory left.

I wonder when they'll be back up 100% A-OK again?
Flip Colin and note and see what he says
Old 05-15-2012, 06:35 AM   #13
PenguinsFan88

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWN View Post
Flip Colin and note and see what he says
What forum is he on or what's his email?
Old 05-15-2012, 06:38 AM   #14
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
What forum is he on or what's his email?
From the website - sales@canadahumidor.com
Old 05-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #15
PenguinsFan88

Quote:
Thank you Sir.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:59 AM   #16
PenguinsFan88

Quote:
Are you sure that email address is still correct? I emailed Colin almost a week ago and still haven't gotten any response.

Wonder if it's just because of them being in the process of moving or did their email address change as well? As I know their homepage still says that Colin is available online 7 days a week and that anyone can email and contact him anytime.

*Shrugs*
Old 05-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #17
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Are you sure that email address is still correct? I emailed Colin almost a week ago and still haven't gotten any response.

Wonder if it's just because of them being in the process of moving or did their email address change as well? As I know their homepage still says that Colin is available online 7 days a week and that anyone can email and contact him anytime.

*Shrugs*
That is the address provided on the website -- which you can verify yourself.

You might try registering on the site to see if they provide more detailed contact information.

If you are still not happy, you can always find another vendor; I am sure that there are many other vendors willing to accept your business.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #18
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:

*Shrugs*
Seems to me that is what's happening. Be patient.