Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
apNgb

Default Cigar Review: Viaje Holiday Blend

Viaje Holiday Blend
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Crillio
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Made In: Nicaragua
Size: 5×54 – Robusto Larga
Price: $10 per single stick from Titletown Tobacco

A new thing for Viaje in 2009, the Viaje Holiday Blend is a special cigar that is extremely limited in release. Only 100 boxes of 30 were made so this cigar will go quick.

Appearance & Construction: The Viaje Holiday Blend is a rustic looking cigar with a dark brown wrapper with a reddish tint. Upon further inspection I notice there is a is a covered foot, which I have become a huge fan of because the first draw of the cigar is nothing but wrapper leaf. Construction looks okay there are some minor blemishes in the wrapper but overall it looks good.

Smoking Characteristics: The cigar has a perfect draw on it that produces thick clouds of billowing smoke. The burn line is fairly uneven but the cigar is pretty fresh yet, so an uneven burn was to be expected. The ash is your standard gray color with some black spots on it. The ash did hold its own and was pretty solid. The body of this cigar starts out ubber full but backs down to the medium to full category. The strength of the cigar is full although it shouldn’t knock you on your ass.

Flavors: Wow! The Viaje Holiday Blend starts off with a serious bang. Some heat up front that leaves your lips and palate tingling. However, it’s not a black pepper rush rather a crisp dry heat like cayenne pepper. Once things settle down, the cigar opens up to a nice cedary earthy core with notes of coffee and leather. As the cigar progresses into the second third I notice some meaty flavor almost like beef jerkey. The final third was much of the same but with more finesse.

Final Thoughts: All I can say is WOW! This cigar did not disappoint one bit. Nice bold, rich Nicaraguan flavors and the cigar changed very nicely between the thirds. Viaje is quickly becoming one of my go to brands and this cigar is just another reason why. The Viaje Holiday Blend also has tremendous aging potential that could make this a cigar you could enjoy for many Christmas or “Holiday” seasons to come. This is also a cigar that could get you through the Holiday season with in-laws.

Worth a Shot: Yes, get them if you can
Buy Again: Already searching for a box
Enjoyablity: High
Rating: Excellent