Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-27-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default I have a Seal-A-Meal question.

I have yet to figure out how to seal wet stuff.
Is it possible to seal a bag of leftover soup or a bag of water to make ice packs, or stuff like that?
I usually use zip locks, then sealameal them, but that ain't gonna work.
I'm making sketti sauce, and I really need to be able to seal the different wet cooked parts till I can finish everything early next week.
I don't want to freeze anything, just bag it and refrigerate it. Zip locks will make a mess, and bowls will take up too much room.
I really want to use the sealameal if I can.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice
Default Re: I have a Seal-A-Meal question.

I would go get the disposable glad tupperware. Easily stackable to maximize storage space, and you won't have to worry about spilling.

Otherwise, you should put all the ziplocks in a cake pan (preferably glass, since tomatos can have a very acidic effect on the metal pans.) then put them all in the fridge. It would at least contain any spills.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

Possibly Freeze the sauce in a container... like maybe ice cube trays? Then pop the little frozen chunks out of the "mold" throw them into a sealable bag. Seal... then allow to thaw? Something like that... or maybe a larger "mold" like a tupperware that you aren't worried about.

I know this method works well with things like Chicken Stock. Like if you want to reserve it to make soups with at a later date. I do this all the time. But of course we don't allow the Chicken Stock Cubes to thaw until we put them in the saucepan. Then the heat of the stove thaws them.

Just an idea.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
I would go get the disposable glad tupperware. Easily stackable to maximize storage space, and you won't have to worry about spilling.

I've never heard of Seal-A-Meal, so I can't really answer that question. disposable Tupperware is great though.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I think it would work if you:
- put the seal-a-meal on the "moist" setting
- make the bag larger than needed, fill the bag with your food
- rest the filled bag in a pan, with the edge of the bag hanging outside the pan
(edge needs to be long enough to reach from the pan to the seal-a-meal
- put edge of bag in seal-a-meal and go for it

See my crude drawing...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sealameal.jpg (15.5 KB, 190 views)

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

I would go all barbarian and hold the sealer above the bag and seal the open end that way... Just have something or someone hold the bag, then seal it from above.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
I think it would work if you:
- put the seal-a-meal on the "moist" setting
- make the bag larger than needed, fill the bag with your food
- rest the filled bag in a pan, with the edge of the bag hanging outside the pan
(edge needs to be long enough to reach from the pan to the seal-a-meal
- put edge of bag in seal-a-meal and go for it

See my crude drawing...
Thank You, Michael. That is exactly what I'm going to try.
I don't think my seal a meal has a moist setting, but I think your drawing will work great.