Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
nozero

Post Stray black lab mix story.

We've had a black lab mix stray in the neighborhood for what seems like at least a couple of years. There has never been a problem with this dog getting into trash or bothering us when we walk our dogs. She has always kept her distance from anybody who gets remotely close to her.

Around Thanksgiving when we had a freeze, I looked out the kitchen window and saw her and felt badly for her so I opened a can of dog food and took it down to the sidewalk with a bowl of water and whistled to her. She perked up her ears and sat up and as I walked back up to the house she headed across the vacant field where she often sits, stopped at the curb and looked both ways before crossing and coming over to eat. After a car or two went by and startled her a little, she picked up the paper bowl and again looked both ways before taking it back across to the lot and up the little embankment to finish the remaining food.

Since that day, I look out in the mornings on weekends and when I get home on work days and if I see her I feed and water her. She won't get closer than about 50 feet or so to me, but I talk to her when I'm walking over to put out the food.

We have two dogs, both adopted from Arlington, TX Animal Services - Rockie http://www.nozero.org/friends.htm#Rockie and Zoe http://www.nozero.org/friends.htm#Zoe. Rockie was the most recent addition to our family and when we got him I got a follow up call from the volunteer at the shelter who use to walk him. Over time, we exchanged a few calls and emails and became friendly. Once while we were at the vet, a lady was there and just by listening to her, I thought it may be her so I asked and it was. She turned around and loved on Rocky and we introduced ourselves in person for the first time. Since she lives not far from me quite often takes in strays, I decided to ask if she was familiar with this dog. She said she was and that she had set up a kennel with a tarp about a block away in the other direction, but had not seen the dog since last May and thought she had died. She was very glad to hear about her and when I mentioned the gray snout and chin, she was certain it was the same dog. She (Dianne) said she and her husband had nicknamed the dog Oprah.

Apparently, Oprah has been evading capture by Arlington Animal Services for quite some time now. Dianne asked if there was a place on the empty lot to put the kennel so Oprah would have a place to go out of the rain and wind. At one time the lot had a double-wide trailer on it that housed a Church/Day Care facility and I guess it went belly up since they closed down and eventually the trailer was towed away. Now there is a sign up for another church and based on the images on the sign it will be another trailer type set up. Since I don't know when they will be starting construction and since the lot is frequented by kids from the junior high school about a block away, I suggested that we put the kennel in our front yard or maybe on the front porch. I'm waiting for Dianne to call me to work out the details. I'd love to gain this dogs trust and adopt her, but since about a year ago when we had an incident with a neighbor's dog breaking it's tether and attacking Zoe. Rockie promptly put a end to the attack by engulfing the offending dogs head in his mouth. Rockie has since become very dog aggressive toward all dogs other than Zoe. We did eventually get the dog loose from Rockies jaws and the little fart bit me in the process. He had a couple of bite marks, but he was not badly injured.

I fed and watered Oprah this morning and am now waiting to hear from Dianne on the Kennel/tarp. It's 32 degrees outside right now and raining on and off. While it's not yet freezing on the street, we've got little icicles hanging on the tree branches in the front yard. I'm hoping Oprah is someplace dry if not warm and dry...

Thanks for reading and sorry for my verbosity, but one thing led to another and so on... Any kind thoughts you can send Oprah's way would be deeply appreciated.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
ahc4353

Default Re: Stray black lab mix story.

As a huge dog lover I can only hope that what is best for Oprah happens. If that's with you that's great! First order of business is a name change!
Old 01-05-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
nozero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
First order of business is a name change!
Thanks and I hear ya on that!

Old 01-05-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
ahc4353

Hey, take a photo and post it if you can. We will make her the honorary CA mascot (as long as the 11 approve) till she has a home.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
nozero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
Hey, take a photo and post it if you can. We will make her the honorary CA mascot (as long as the 11 approve) till she has a home.
I'll try to get a pic to post either way. I just get so excited when I see her, glad to see she's still OK day by day. Then I get in a hurry to get food and water out to her and I forget about getting a pic.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Great story and for helping out a dog in need. I hope Oprah takes to the kennel and allows you to start caring for her.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
nozero

The kennel and tarp are in place along with a bowl of fresh water. I've not seen her since this morning, but Dianne saw her around noon before bringing the kennel over. I'll check tomorrow morning and put out food (near or in the kennel) tomorrow after work. Hoping for the best for her...
Old 01-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #8
Fishbeadtwo
Another nut j0b

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (9)
Bolivar
Fishbeadtwo will become famous soon enough

Good luck with the humanatarian effort for this stray dog........
Old 01-07-2009, 06:22 PM   #9
nozero

Fed her last night and once again she carried the bowl back across the street to the empty lot to eat... Sorry, I have yet to get a pic but will keep trying.

Looked for her after work today but so far no sign of her, so we put food and water out by the kennel in case she stops by later tonight.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:02 PM   #10
nozero

Thumbs up Re: Stray black lab mix story.

We've been feeding he once to twice a day. Well, we know she gets most of the food because we watch her eat through the blinds on the windows. We assume she's eating the food we leave out otherwise, but we do have a neighbor who lets their Chihuahua out and... She still won't get closer than fifteen feet or so from me. Each time I open the door to try to get a pic, she head to the other side of the street. :-(

Yesterday when I looked out, she was doing donuts in the lot across the street chasing her tail then running full speed one way then the other. Seemed like she was in good spirits. Still hoping for the best for her. She's a very attractive dog.

Thanks to all for reading and for the kinds words and bumps.
:-)
Old 01-11-2009, 12:12 PM   #11
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jon
Trading: (10)
Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough

My wife and I have rescued three dogs now. We are also huge dog lovers. It's a good feeling being able to take in a stray like that. I've done it in my past as well. Good luck finding a safe home for her.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:11 PM   #12
nozero

Finally got a pic! It's through the blinds, window and screen but it'still a pic!

Old 01-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #13
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Good one on you for helping one of God's creatures, Michael!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:32 PM   #14
nozero

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Good one on you for helping one of God's creatures, Michael!
Thanks. When I get home from work, I let my dogs out to the back yard. Then go check mail and look for her. If I see her, I make sure there is fresh water in her bowl and go get her food ready and take it back out. If she's lying down, I whistle and if she does not hear that, I tap the metal food bowl with a fork or spoon then she perks up.

Last night our street was rather busy with traffic so I took the bowl across the street to her and she wagged her tail, though only twice, when she saw me coming. I got about ten feet from her before she backed up a step. Perhaps some day I'll have the pleasure of petting her and bringing her into our home. It may be a hassle with Rockie at first, but I think he'd get used to her after a bit. I just gotta figure out where I'd put another kennel in the house. We already have two in our living room for Rockie and Zoe... Then I'd have to convince my wife and that may be difficult.

Dogs are still the best examples of unconditional love I have ever experienced.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:08 PM   #15
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

you're making progress, 10 feet is better then 15 feet and it can take time to win her trust. Keep doing the good work.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:34 PM   #16
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

It's still heartbreaking to me.Thanks for being there for her Michael

Last edited by 68TriShield; 01-16-2009 at 01:38 PM.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #17
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

Thank you for your kindness; Oprah the Dog is now in my prayers.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:09 PM   #18
nozero

Thumbs up Re: Stray black lab mix story.

A friend came by my house yesterday, saw her and put some just cooked pot roast in her bowl. Bet she loved that!

I just put her food out for tonight even though we've not seen her today. I've got the front door open with the glass storm door closed and Zoe, Rockie and I are watching for her.
:-)

Last edited by nozero; 01-16-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #19
nozero

Still feed her everyday I see her and even leave food when I don't. Just fed her and met her out in the middle of the lot across the street with a few treats. Still can't get more than 6-10 fee from her, but now she wags her tail and looks happy to see me each time I try.

Still hoping for the best.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:48 PM   #20
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozero View Post
Still feed her everyday I see her and even leave food when I don't. Just fed her and met her out in the middle of the lot across the street with a few treats. Still can't get more than 6-10 fee from her, but now she wags her tail and looks happy to see me each time I try.

Still hoping for the best.
Me too Bro.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote