Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2010, 09:23 AM   #21
BC-Axeman

Default Re: Let's see those '10 gardens

This is not a competition, Luke, and square foot gardens are great. That is what I'm trying on a bigger scale. I will have 6 @ 4'x7's, 2 @ 4'x12's and 1 4'x6' boxes three 2x6s high. The 4x7 footers may be 4x8s if there is enough room. Our soil is not good for veggies and instead of adding amendments to it constantly I will just fill the boxes with good soil.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:51 AM   #22
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

First Name: Luke
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
tuxpuff will become famous soon enough

Very nice...that's a lot of soil!
tuxpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:10 AM   #23
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Lance, love the idea with screened bottoms. That should work.

Ken, as far as voles or moles, try this. CLICKY.

This thing has killed every mole I've ever had. My co-worker turned me on to it and she's killed dozens with it.

I'll be setting out the garden in a few weeks. Can't wait.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:24 AM   #24
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Lance, love the idea with screened bottoms. That should work.

Ken, as far as voles or moles, try this. CLICKY.

This thing has killed every mole I've ever had. My co-worker turned me on to it and she's killed dozens with it.

I'll be setting out the garden in a few weeks. Can't wait.

So they like bump into the trigger plate, it trips the spring and the two scissor blades close, decapitating them or possibly even chopping them into three pieces?

Brutal.

Barbaric.

Medieval.

I ****ing love it!

I'm gonna order one and I don't even have mole problems. If I turn it upside down, maybe I'll catch a cat with it.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #25
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Is that wire that sections off squares supposed to teach those plants a lesson on boundaries?
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #26
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
So they like bump into the trigger plate, it trips the spring and the two scissor blades close, decapitating them or possibly even chopping them into three pieces?
Yeah! You stomp their main trail for a day or two. You'll come back and they'll have rooted the tunnel back open. That way, you know it's their main highway and they're actively tunneling. You insert the scissors in the tunnel and stomp the top flat. The little round plate sits on the ground directly over the flattened tunnel. I usually take a stick and try to ever-so-slightly lift up on the plate to give it a hair trigger. The next time they come tunneling through, their head hits the plate and BAM!. It doesn't cut the mole in half, but pinches the hell out of him. When you come out to check on it, if it's triggered, you pull the unit and mole out of the ground. He's either dead or close to dead. I caught one within 30 minutes one time. The best thing for mole eradication!!!

Here's a video. Not a killing, but setting it up. VIDEO
Old 03-28-2010, 10:30 AM   #27
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Man that is one nice little tractor setup. Congratulations on that piece of equipment.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #28
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Lance, I can just see you running around like Bill Murray in Caddyshack.

"Here Mr Gopher, gopher, gopher...."

I love this scene:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv87T1CQF8E
Old 03-30-2010, 08:43 PM   #29
BC-Axeman

This one gophs no more...
Old 03-30-2010, 09:07 PM   #30
weak_link
The Stranger

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
Man that is one nice little tractor setup. Congratulations on that piece of equipment.
I'm pretty happy for Lance. Poor guy combed craigslist for a year.
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:53 PM   #31
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by weak_link View Post
I'm pretty happy for Lance. Poor guy combed craigslist for a year.
Maybe 6 or 7 months. Little is the word. But it's strong for it's size. I would like to have had the next size up but so does everyone else. It will be back on CL when I'm through with it.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:22 AM   #32
BC-Axeman

Anyone else got growth yet? I have tomato starts ready to go in as soon as I build the boxes. The wood just got delivered yesterday. Pics to follow.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:42 AM   #33
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
Anyone else got growth yet? I have tomato starts ready to go in as soon as I build the boxes. The wood just got delivered yesterday. Pics to follow.
Lisa and I are transplanting all our stuff right now.
So far we've done:
Osteospermum
Broccoli
Borage
Dill
Impatiens
Nicotiana
Tobacco
Basil
Cilantro
Tons of other stuff to go yet. I had to stop for a cinnamon toast crunch break and she's talking to one of her girlfriends.
I know there's tomatoes and peppers and some more flowers and herbs yet. Some of the herbs are a pita to transplant, they're too small yet. I might skip them till next weekend.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #34
MrsSledn
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Cathy
Trading: (0)
MrsSledn is on a distinguished road

Luke and Lance, those are some nice start ups!

Luke, I really like those boxes. That is a cool idea.

Lance, we have a possium problem as well. We already trapped our first one, a couple weeks back. We saw him working during the day with the dirt flipping up. Wes, myself, and Lil Sledn went outside. Wes grabbed the shovel and started digging up the tunnel. He dug the critter up. It dropped off the shovel though, fell back in the tunnel and kept moving the dirt. That's when we saw how quick those things actually work. Wes put a metal trap in the ground. It was caught. A dog who roams our neighborhood actually pulled the trap out of the ground trying to get to the now deceased critter.

As for our garden... My daffodils and crocus's bloomed already. None of my tulips flowered this years. My lillies are starting to pop through the dirt. My wild lillies are going crazy. Clematis's are growing like gangbusters right now. Rose bushes, lilacs, and hydrangeas's are all growing well. Strawberry's from last year are still holding well too.
MrsSledn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:32 PM   #35
BC-Axeman

Three boxes built now, six to go.
This was earlier today.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #36
BC-Axeman

Ow, I hurt...

This better produce a LOT of vegetables.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:37 AM   #37
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

No photos right now, but just noticed that the first of my Thai peppers are peeking through 10 up, only 190 left to go.

All the other peppers are doing fine too.

Tomatoes are doing well, looks like I'll be setting cages for them tomorrow.

Have a few snap peas that are setting fruit now, but the way the temperatures go around here, I doubt I'll see more than a handful of yield from the 10-11 pea plants that I have.

Have about a gazillion dead snails and slugs around the pots now too. I knew Corey's Snail & Slug bait worked, but I never realized it worked that well... I think these snails and slugs are migrating from the entire neighborhood to my place for the free buffet of death... MuwwwwahahahahAHAHAHAHA!
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #38
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough

I started my garden the 2nd week im March. Its a 12x12' I added an additional patch thats 2x16' but its more shaded now by my muscadine vine that covers the whole back fence 100' worth and about 12' outward. Pics of that soon. The shaded part hasn't produced much this year due to lack of sun.

But here is a few pics I took today.

Picture of the left side, this is the side facing my house, I had to put up a 3foot fence to keep my dogs out of it. Last year I covered the whole garden (top and sides) with bird neting; but it was more of a pain than it was worth. So this year I used chicken wire.

This is my bush beans. I have two rows of black beans and two rows of green beans. In the background are my burpless cucumbers and a weird type called a pepino cucumber. It looks more like a hairy lemon than anything.

This is a pic facing my house and its the right side of the garden facing inward.

CLose up of my green beans

I used Osmocote plant and vegetable fertilizer early march when I was tilling the soil. The soil is a mix of Cow manure, potting soil and some humus. Started everything from seeds on 4-6" tall rows for good drainage. Then, once the plants became established, I used some 8-8-8 on them before a good rainstorm. They get about 10-15 mins of watering from a timered sprinkler everyday in the evening time, so they don't get burnt by the summer sun. I see so many people watering thier yards/gardens during the day and it ends up being burnt from the sun burning the water left on the plants in the day. Thats why I choose to water at late evening.

I also have about 12-15 pepper plants in pots in my front yard. Yellow banana peppers, bell peppers.
thebayratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:39 AM   #39
BC-Axeman

Only one and a half boxes to go. Next I will put up more fence to keep the deer out.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #40
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

My plants are pretty much out of control. They're getting SO big.
The weather is supposed to be crappy till Saturday, then Summer is here. I'll move my plants out to harden them off between now and then.
My tobacco looks great. I'll try to find time to get some pics and post them. Maybe a video or something. That's usually a lot quicker and covers lots more ground.
My tobacco plants look spectacular. I'm totally stoked about getting them in the dirt.