Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2009, 06:41 PM   #81
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Re: Anyone Own A Kindle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarDood View Post
"Amazon Erases Orwell Books From Kindle"
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/te.../18amazon.html

This kind of stuff makes me 50 x less likely to buy a kindle.
As I understand it Amazon had no choice - they had to comply with the law and any of the e-reader vendors would have to do the same thing should a similar situation arise in the future.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #82
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Well, after much research and comparisons between Kindle, Nook, and Sony, I pulled the trigger and bought a Kindle. I've been scouring the list of books and have pre-ordered a $hitload. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Thanks to everyone who offered feedback.
Congrats! on your purchase -- maybe you can show it off to us at the Stumptown herf next month!
Old 11-28-2009, 10:01 PM   #83
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Congrats! on your purchase -- maybe you can show it off to us at the Stumptown herf next month!
You can count on it!
Old 11-28-2009, 10:18 PM   #84
floydp
Team of 11

First Name: Frank
Trading: (0)
Partagas MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
floydp will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Well, after much research and comparisons between Kindle, Nook, and Sony, I pulled the trigger and bought a Kindle. I've been scouring the list of books and have pre-ordered a $hitload. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Thanks to everyone who offered feedback.
You won't be sorry Peter. I got Anita one for her birthday and she hasn't sat it down since. She carries it everywhere.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:08 AM   #85
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

i love my Kindle.
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:47 PM   #86
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonlady View Post
i love my Kindle.
And after just two days, I'm lovin' mine, too.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:16 AM   #87
croatan
Missing Peter

First Name: James
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
croatan has disabled reputation

Quote:
And after just two days, I'm lovin' mine, too.
Glad to hear it.

I decided to go the Nook route--well, getting one for my girlfriend as a Christmas present anyway. I'm looking forward to playing with it, though

I bet the odds are better than 50/50, however, that she buys me a Kindle, so we may have both to compare
Old 12-01-2009, 08:27 AM   #88
Whynot
Living the dream...

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (11)
Cohiba AirForce (Active)
Whynot is on a distinguished road

I'm a day late and a dollar short, but I went the Sony route. At the time kindle didn't offer any overseas support and the built in lighting on the Sony sold me. It has been great on deployment. I'm known as the guy with the e-book puffing a cigar everynight in the smoke pit.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #89
Beagleone
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
JL
Beagleone will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by croatan View Post
Glad to hear it.

I decided to go the Nook route--well, getting one for my girlfriend as a Christmas present anyway. I'm looking forward to playing with it, though

I bet the odds are better than 50/50, however, that she buys me a Kindle, so we may have both to compare
Are there any Nooks available right now? I was under the impression they were on back order until January 2010.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #90
croatan
Missing Peter

First Name: James
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
croatan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagleone View Post
Are there any Nooks available right now? I was under the impression they were on back order until January 2010.
I ordered one in the middle of November and it's supposed to ship December 11. Looks like the pre-orders they're taking now, though, won't ship until January.

From a quick search, it appears as though they sold out the initial production run on November 20, so any orders placed after that will be shipped later.

Thanks for the scare, though
Old 12-01-2009, 05:31 PM   #91
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by croatan View Post
I ordered one in the middle of November and it's supposed to ship December 11. Looks like the pre-orders they're taking now, though, won't ship until January.

From a quick search, it appears as though they sold out the initial production run on November 20, so any orders placed after that will be shipped later.

Thanks for the scare, though
Not to perpetuate the scare but Barnes & Noble is on shaky ground. The future of the company was one of many reasons I eliminated the Nook early on. A couple of other big show stoppers for me were only a 14 day return policy with a 10% restocking fee. Sony and Amazon is a 30 day full refund. B&N e-books are generally more expensive and B&N will not allow the use of their own gift cards to purchase their own e-books. WTF is up with that?!?!?!!?

I truly hope your girlfriend likes her Nook. It just didn't cut it for me.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #92
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagleone View Post
I ordered a Nook as it seemed like the best of the bunch and they charged my card then said they were out till January. I was some kind of pissed as it was for my Wife for Christmas and January is a bit late and they would have my money for a month. Got my card credited and now waiting on the next most improved version not offered by Barnes and Noble.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #93
Mark
Tarheel.

First Name: Mark
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
Mark will become famous soon enough

After a number of weeks of agony, I have decided I need to sell my kindle. I absolutely love it, but the books I am reading are exclusively scholarly works, and apart from my Dostoevsky class nothing is really available for Kindle. Furthermore, the texts I am reading for my academic pursuits are things that I would like to keep, mark up, reference, etc in the future in my Masters/PhD programs and therefore I think I should invest in real, physical paper. I'm gonna post the sale on Craigslist, not sure it would be an appropriate use of the board to post it here. Anyway another bump for an awesome product if you are looking to fly through books and not worry about having them in the future for reference. I read more and faster with the kindle, and I'm sad to see it go! Its just an expensive paperweight, ya know? Plus I could buy probably ten scholarly works that I would use over and over for the price of the kindle...
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:11 PM   #94
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

My kids call me a book eater. I read a lot and this is a great way for me to do it with out piling up lots of paper. I have save enought in the diffrence in the paper version and gas to pay for my Kindle.
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:20 PM   #95
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
After a number of weeks of agony, I have decided I need to sell my kindle. I absolutely love it, but the books I am reading are exclusively scholarly works, and apart from my Dostoevsky class nothing is really available for Kindle. Furthermore, the texts I am reading for my academic pursuits are things that I would like to keep, mark up, reference, etc in the future in my Masters/PhD programs and therefore I think I should invest in real, physical paper. I'm gonna post the sale on Craigslist, not sure it would be an appropriate use of the board to post it here. Anyway another bump for an awesome product if you are looking to fly through books and not worry about having them in the future for reference. I read more and faster with the kindle, and I'm sad to see it go! Its just an expensive paperweight, ya know? Plus I could buy probably ten scholarly works that I would use over and over for the price of the kindle...
No problem at all posting it here, Mark.
We occasionally get non-cigar items put up for sale. As long as it's not Cuban cigars, alcohol, firearms, etc. as listed in the rules, you are free to put it up here.

Good luck.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:43 AM   #96
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

I am not by nature an ebook person, but this thread made me go out and borrow the most recent model from a friend to try out.

Honestly, I was not impressed. I could not get over the "gadget" feel as some others have described. I constantly felt like I was playing with a video game.

The prices for things that interested me where actually more expensive than hard copies of the books (7.19 for The Bear & the Dragon by Tom Clancy). I can hunt around online and come up with a paperback copy of that book for a dollar. Also, as I understand (correct me if I'm wrong here please!) but if you decide to get rid of the Kindle, you're out however much you spent on the books, and you don't have the books in hand.

The battery needed a charge somewhere between the 700-800 page range, but I can't be sure if it was a full charge when I borrowed it. If that is a full charge, I'd say that's a rather low capacity for someone with time to read and who reads quickly.

Also, I'm somewhat of a speed reader. Maybe it's just my eyes, but I constantly had to go back and re-read something because I wasn't sure if I had read it correctly. That's something I NEVER have to do with a hard copy.

I think, given enough time (I only read one book, even if it was 1000+ pages) I could develop a tolerance for reading on a Kindle, but my initial trial run didn't sufficiently impress me enough to give me a solid reason for buying one.

Obviously, others here would get more use out of it for the physical or electronic benefits, but I don't see spending 250 on a Kindle as a wise investment as of now.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:15 AM   #97
jbrookeiv

The Barnes and Noble Nook looks like a Kindle killer. I used one in store the other days, and it's great.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:51 AM   #98
Cigary

I'm all for technology and hell, I even use it pretty much everyday. When I first saw this kind of technology I'm scratching my head like,,,WTH! What happened to just taking a bood,,open it,,,and read? For what these things cost you could buy quite a few books on Amazon and read the old fashioned way like we did growing up. Now we have texting, tweeting, facebooking, and everything in between that actually keeps us from having to interract with other like human beings. I can hardly wait for cigar herfs over the internet,,oh wait, I do that now.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:07 PM   #99
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

I own one now! My wife and kids got it for me -- quite a surprise -- and I love it! It's not the same as reading a real paper book, but it is very good for what it is. It travels well, and it is very convenient!
Old 12-13-2009, 10:08 PM   #100
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
I own one now! My wife and kids got it for me -- quite a surprise -- and I love it! It's not the same as reading a real paper book, but it is very good for what it is. It travels well, and it is very convenient!

We'll have to compare notes on the 29th.