Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #21
AdamC

Default Re: Lets talk about the Swine flu...

Swine Flu is nothing to worry about. I will not contribute to the panic that is going on at my work place about it. When, more than 1000 people die from it then start worrying
Old 04-28-2009, 04:41 PM   #22
AdamC

anyone ever see outbreak?
Old 04-28-2009, 05:27 PM   #23
BC-Axeman

The "politically correct" term is now "Mexican flu" or "H1N1 strain". I'm not joking. The pork industry is starting to take a hit.
I caught the "Russian flu" of '77-'78. It was H1N1. It was a very bad flu. First time I realized a flu can kill you.
Most people die of secondary infections. The virus can cause pulmonary edema (fluid filling your lungs) directly. You try to inhale and nothing happens.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #24
white_s2k
The Dude Abides

First Name: Josh
Trading: (20)
white_s2k is on a distinguished road

Received over 300 doses of Tamiflu at my pharmacy from corporate this morning.

Guess it's better to have too much, than not enough.

We've been getting 6-7 scripts a day for it this week. We'll see what happens..
Old 04-28-2009, 05:38 PM   #25
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
The "politically correct" term is now "Mexican flu" or "H1N1 strain". I'm not joking. The pork industry is starting to take a hit.
Somebody mentioned on PBS this morning that you can't get the swine flu from eating pork. Well, DUH. Are people that dumb?
Old 04-28-2009, 05:55 PM   #26
ca21455
Working on Reality

First Name: John
Trading: (7)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ca21455 is on a distinguished road

If it does hit the US hard, I am not sure what would be worse...sitting at home suffering from the flu or trying to keep up at work with everyone out sick. The most probable scenario is you will get to do a little of both.
ca21455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:59 PM   #27
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC View Post
Swine Flu is nothing to worry about. I will not contribute to the panic that is going on at my work place about it. When, more than 1000 people die from it then start worrying

This is the safest time to live in the history of the world. I'm cautious, but not getting caught up in the media's scare tactics.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:00 PM   #28
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanGAR View Post
Somebody mentioned on PBS this morning that you can't get the swine flu from eating pork. Well, DUH. Are people that dumb?
I know than must be a rhetorical question!
Old 04-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #29
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

I think there are worse things out there that need our attention. Like all the antibiotic resistant bugs.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:07 PM   #30
BC-Axeman

I was just looking at the Spanish flu of 1918 stats and it looks like my age group did all right.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:20 PM   #31
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Associated Press
NEW YORK – The global swine flu outbreak worsened Tuesday as authorities said hundreds of students at a New York school have fallen ill and federal officials said they expected to see U.S. deaths from the virus. Cuba suspended flights to and from Mexico, becoming the first country to impose a travel ban to the epicenter of the epidemic.

The mayor of the capital cracked down further on public life, closing gyms and swimming pools and ordering restaurants to limit service to takeout.

Confirmed cases were reported for the first time as far away as New Zealand and Israel, joining the United States, Canada, Britain and Spain.
Hundreds of kids in NY? This is not good.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:28 PM   #32
GoatLocker
Dr of Quantum Inebrionics

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Cohiba Navy (Active)
GoatLocker has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
The "politically correct" term is now "Mexican flu"
Actually, it's the politically correct that were calling it the swine flu, vice Mexican. Large scale/pandemic influenza outbreaks have long been named for where the seem to originate, e.g. the asiatic (1889), spanish (1918), asian (1957), hong kong (1968) and russian (1977) flu's. I suspect people were worried about offending mexico...

I think what we need is a UN commission to develop a flu naming convention to ensure no one is offended during future pandemics. /sarcasm
Old 04-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #33
AdamC

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post

This is the safest time to live in the history of the world. I'm cautious, but not getting caught up in the media's scare tactics.
I swear i cause a dr. at work to have a heart attack, I told her we had a possible swin flu patient and she like flipped out. Didn't even tell her I was kidding.
Lets see what happens.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:28 PM   #34
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

First Name: David
Trading: (9)
RA
smitdavi has disabled reputation

Quote:

You know, some times I wonder if it's just the media or if it really could be a pandemic
smitdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:31 PM   #35
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Ex Wife #2 is the infection control nurse for a large catholic hospital here and she has meetings planned all week. They are concerned.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:34 PM   #36
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitdavi View Post
You know, some times I wonder if it's just the media or if it really could be a pandemic
This one sounds worse, but remember the big avian bird flu a couple years ago that wound up being no big epidemic. I'm a little upset with Matt Drudge that most of his news lately is dealing with the swine flu. You can't be too cautious, but I hate that the media is scaring everyone to death.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:48 PM   #37
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

First Name: David
Trading: (9)
RA
smitdavi has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoishoosier View Post
Ex Wife #2 is the infection control nurse for a large catholic hospital here and she has meetings planned all week. They are concerned.
Katie's dad is in charge of Risk Management at Notre Dame and he's been in meetings too. Hell they actually had somebody on campus come down with it.

Quote:
This one sounds worse, but remember the big avian bird flu a couple years ago that wound up being no big epidemic. I'm a little upset with Matt Drudge that most of his news lately is dealing with the swine flu. You can't be too cautious, but I hate that the media is scaring everyone to death.
That's what I'm talking about. I'm sure it's a serious thing, but the media puts everyone in a state of panic that I'm not sure is warranted. Oh well...we will see how it plays out in the next few weeks.
smitdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:04 PM   #38
TXRebel
Have My Own Room

First Name: Cary
Trading: (12)
TXRebel has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitdavi View Post
Quote:
IMHO, whenever the media mentions a virus, infection, disease, etc., there will be an increase in the number of cases reported. A lot of people that would not have gone to the doctor and or hospital, when they were sick, will go after it is reported by the media. Therefore the number of cases will rise.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #39
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

http://www.wired.com/science/discove...dayintech_0324
Deja Vu, anyone?
Old 04-28-2009, 09:20 PM   #40
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

I just read that the European Union health commissioner wants to rename it the "novel flu." Uh that's great and everything, but what do we name the next one? Novel flu II? Maybe we should name pandemics like hurricanes.