Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-14-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
michael88n
Finger Sniffer

First Name: Michael
Trading: (3)
Punch Army (Retired)
michael88n is on a distinguished road
Default Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Robusto

I got these smokes about two weeks ago and put them in the 'dor to chill for a while. I know that RP smokes have a tendency to divide groups of people. Some people honestly don't like them. Some people people are haters for whatever reason. Some people love them. So I really wanted to try and smoke this one and be objective about it. *DISCLAIMER: I Love RP Sun Grown.*

I had a rough couple of days at work and I needed something different. So when I popped open my 'dor, the RP was off to the side and it was calling to me, "Miiiiike. Smoooke meeee...". All right, you bastid. You're mine.

I grabbed a bottle of water and headed out to the gazebo for a little quality time for my little friend (the CIGAR, not little mike).

Undoubtedly, this is a beautiful cigar. Dark brown, natural wrapper. It's got the oil thing goin' on. It was firm... Smelled pretty good.

Clip... It has a nice draw. A little tight, but some things in life are nice when they are a little tight. Will this cigar be one of them?

It lit well. Right away I had big plumes of smoke! I like the big plumes. But WTF? I was hit with a bitter, earthy, leather, boot in my mouth. This wasn't going as well as I was hoping it would!

Luckily for me, the bitterness lasted only about half an inch and it quickly mellowed out. Absolutely no problem with the draw. It almost seemed like it loosened up. Big, gray ash that help on for an inch and a half at a time before falling off. For the next half of the smoke, it was almost too mellow going back and forth from woody to a faint nutty. I thought this was supposed to me medium-bodied. But wait a minute... what's that?

The last third of the smoke is where you get your money's worth. The spice train was coming through. Not overpowering like the guy who says, "Gimme the strongest thing you got." But a nice balance of spice, cedar, and "damn that's good!" It started to burn hot, but I think that was because I wanted to smoke more and more. Too bad I didn't have another inch to smoke (don't go there - that's a different website) since the flavor came on late in the game. I only quit smoking it because I didn't want to burn a hole in my gloves.

I'm not going to attempt to grade this smoke. I wouldn't know where to begin. But I definitely liked it. Next time, I'm going to light it with a couple of my wooden matches and see if that changes the first hit of flavor. Maybe that's where I got the bitterness.

Smoke it again? Sho' nuff!

Cheers,
Michael

And that is my first review.
michael88n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Robusto

Nice review. I have enjoyed many of those and they sure can be tasty. I've also had a couple that weren't. I've always thought they were constructed really well though.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
karmaz00
Habanos

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Partagas
karmaz00 is on a distinguished road

nice review thanks for sharing
Old 02-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
acruce
Just killing Time

First Name: Andy
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
acruce is on a distinguished road

Nothing wrong with the R.P. Vinatge in my book!!
Old 02-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
michael88n
Finger Sniffer

Punch Army (Retired)

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who liked it. I think that some people out there won't even look at the review though because it's a RP product.

But I'll try most any ceegar once or twice.

Cheers,
Michael
Old 02-14-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
Caymus
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ken
Trading: (0)
Caymus is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Robusto

I like them too. I especially like the 1992 RPs. To my taste, a very interesting smoke, and I love the price on Cbid.
Caymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:33 PM   #7
GhostRyder
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Sam
Trading: (2)
GhostRyder is on a distinguished road

Yeah the '92s are my favorite RPs, but I enjoy the '90s just fine. I'd love to pick up a box... what are cbid prices like on the '92s?
GhostRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #8
ChasDen

Nice review and pretty much dead on from what I get, I smoke them and the 92's regularly. As for as the bitter start try lighting the cigar with out drawing through it. I toast the foot from about 3 inches with my Ronson and let it rest for about a minute. I then twist the cigar between my fingers and light the end from about an inch. Every 30 second or so I blow on the end and touch up the burn as needed until the entire bottom is well lit. Allow the cigar to rest for about 15 to 20 seconds and then draw the first smoke through the cigar. I started doing this a while ago with all my cigars and it eliminated that "bitter" first 1/2 to 1/2 inch.

Chas
Old 02-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

I like the Vintages quite a bit, good review.
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:12 PM   #10
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Nice stick. Thanks for the review.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:44 PM   #11
eber
Have My Own Room

First Name: Erik
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
eber will become famous soon enough

nice review, I enjoy these as well, along with a lot of RP sticks.
eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:09 AM   #12
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the review Michael. I've only had a couple of these in the past which didn't do much for me. However, being the open minded person that I am, I will have to push myself once again to revisit this stick
Old 02-15-2009, 06:59 AM   #13
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Nice review, Michael, you captured that cigar very well. I've got so many different sticks in my humi since joining CS/CA that I've become a "sampler smoker", but the 90 robusto is one of two cigars I can keep coming back to again & again.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:08 AM   #14
michael88n
Finger Sniffer

Punch Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasDen View Post
Nice review and pretty much dead on from what I get, I smoke them and the 92's regularly. As for as the bitter start try lighting the cigar with out drawing through it. I toast the foot from about 3 inches with my Ronson and let it rest for about a minute. I then twist the cigar between my fingers and light the end from about an inch. Every 30 second or so I blow on the end and touch up the burn as needed until the entire bottom is well lit. Allow the cigar to rest for about 15 to 20 seconds and then draw the first smoke through the cigar. I started doing this a while ago with all my cigars and it eliminated that "bitter" first 1/2 to 1/2 inch.

Chas
Chuck,
Thanks for the tip. I try to take my time while lighting, though I'm not as patient as you obviously are. I will make a point to use your method next time and I'll report back.

Thanks,
Michael
Old 02-15-2009, 09:48 AM   #15
Caymus
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ken
Trading: (0)
Caymus is on a distinguished road

It seems you can get the RP 90s and 92s for about $3 each on CBid...maybe even cheaper on boxes. I've bought all my RP vintage cigars there in 5 packs, don't recall ever paying more than $15 for one.
Caymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:06 AM   #16
Bruzee
Have My Own Room

First Name: D
Trading: (30)
Partagas
Bruzee has disabled reputation

Michael, I am also a lover of the 90 Vintage. One of my favorites, and I always have a few in my humi. Great review.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:47 AM   #17
Cigargal
Waiting for SoCal XI

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Cigargal will become famous soon enoughCigargal will become famous soon enough

Nice review. I love RP cigars. One of my go to cigars for the summer months and fishing. I like the Indian Tabac line as well.
Cigargal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:35 PM   #18
Boobar
Rubber Room Wall Bouncer

First Name: Bob
Trading: (37)
Boobar is on a distinguished road

Two words "Love Them"

Thanks for the review.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:21 AM   #19
Cigary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasDen View Post

Chas

I agree with Chuck here 100%,,,I was going to start to answer this thread with the same info but when I read this,,,took the words right out of my head. GMTA
Old 02-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #20
michael88n
Finger Sniffer

Punch Army (Retired)

Cigary & Chas,
I've used your lighting method for two nights now. You are 100% correct.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10528

Thanks,
Michael