Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats > Recipes

Old 01-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Neckbones....yuck and yum

I was rifling through the reduced meat yesterday at the Piggly Wiggly, and I saw some beef ribs that
had been cut, and another package that looked like the same thing, but a different part of the rack.
So I picked up both as the light wasn't right to see through the over-stuck price and info tag.
The markdown tag has no cut name on it. So I got home where the light was better and it was
beef neckbone, which I usually leave to the po-folks cause it's such a nightmare getting any
decent meat off it. I was shopping for jerky meat and bargain steaks. ANYWAY,
I heated up some oil in a pot, dredged the cut neckbones in a shopping bag with some flour in it,
then browned the chunks on all sides in the oil, added some more flour and fast-cooked a roux.
I then tossed in a medium onion chopped, about 8 toes of garlic sliced thin like on goodfellas,
cajun seasoning to taste and cut up a big fat sweet potato into 3/8 inch slices and covered with water.
I let it simmer covered with a little steam gap for about two hours. I then slid all the meat off the bones
and put the gravy, potato and meat in a tupperware container for later. The taste of the sweet tater AND
the dank sweetness of such a weird, bony cut was magical. There is plenty of collagen in and around the
bones that just made a wonderfully thick gravy. But again, it was the sweet combo of the all-but-mashed
potato and the meat that just sang out with flavor. Can't wait for supper tonight.

Of course now I am kicking myself for not throwing the cut up rib bones in there, too. They won't
be so hot smoked on a grill next weekend. That's the job of a FULL RACK of dino bones. Still, I will smok'em.

Last edited by OLS; 01-25-2012 at 11:13 AM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Neckbones....yuck and yum

That'd make some badass vegatable beef soup, Brad. Well played.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Never heard of beef neck bone. Are you sure it wasn't tail? Sounds great either way!
Old 01-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Mmm...ox tails. Never saw neck bones, even at the Mexican grocery. Might have to look for them and pick some up. I bet braised for a while they'd be good in some chili.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
BnBTobacco

Same here.. I've never seen neck bones. Anyway, that's a tasty treat!
Old 01-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

It was beef, not pork, so I think that's correct. And the wrapper sticker did say neckbones, so yeah,
I am guessing that's correct. Around here ox tails are marked as such. These look like vertebrae cut in half
with a band saw. Who knows who gets the neck muscles.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote