Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do people wearing backwards baseball caps lose credibilty with you?
yes 54 48.65%
no 37 33.33%
never thought about it 20 18.02%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #41
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Poll About Baseball Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
I do this too with a welding helmet on.
You're older than I am, does that mean I owe you royalites?

Crap.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #42
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
I do this too with a welding helmet on.

I haven't lost a hat yet in the GS Bill
This guy doesn't have a convertible, either.

and is that Tom with a beard and a hangover?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg epic-fail-hard-hat-fail.jpg (32.0 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg hat-fail-3-600x400.jpg (35.1 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by replicant_argent; 04-27-2010 at 12:24 PM.
replicant_argent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:14 PM   #43
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Man Dave, you must drive like an old man!

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #44
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu View Post
Anything over 35 and Dave wears his Simpson Full Face with the flames on it.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #45
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu View Post
Yea,I barely scratch 100mph
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #46
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
You're older than I am, does that mean I owe you royalites?

Crap.
If I am older I reckon so. I'm only 52 though.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #47
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

First Name: Jim
Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
This guy doesn't have a convertible, either.

I sent that pic to my father...he's a project manager for a construction company...I'm sure he'll appreciate that one.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:24 PM   #48
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

A fully backward baseball cap does make for a slight ding in credibility in my perception, however, the sideways/diagonally backward or forward cap makes one look absolutely retarded IMHO. Case in point:
Old 04-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #49
Darrell

I have a big collection of fitted hats and 9/10 I always wear it backwards. Straight backwards, not crooked, not sideways, just backwards. It's comfortable to me and I like it.

Why would you base someones credibility off of how they wear their baseball cap? That's ignorant.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:36 PM   #50
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
I have a big collection of fitted hats and 9/10 I always wear it backwards. Straight backwards, not crooked, not sideways, just backwards. It's comfortable to me and I like it.

Why would you base someones credibility off of how they wear their baseball cap? That's ignorant.
The same way you base someone's credibility when you look at pics on peopleofwalmart.com. It's far from ignorant. It's called perception. And it's reality. Now if you were to base someone's intelligence, on how they wear their cap, that's a different story.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:38 PM   #51
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
If I am older I reckon so. I'm only 52 though.
If you're been welding for over 22-23 years of that, I probably do.

Royalties will be paid in 6013s.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #52
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Quote:
Airflow dynamics. I lost a couple in my old Triumph. Also had a ragtop VW that damn near blew your hair off.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #53
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
The same way you base someone's credibility when you look at pics on peopleofwalmart.com. It's far from ignorant. It's reality. Now if you were to base someone's intelligence, on how they wear their cap, that's a different story.
See I disagree. I think it's very ignorant. Someones credibility has nothing to do with how they wear their baseball cap. The two are in no way related to each other. To say that someones credibility is in question because of that would be like saying if you wear slacks and a jacket with your collar open at a business function then you can't be trusted.

Last edited by Darrell; 04-27-2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: SPELLING
Old 04-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #54
itzfrank

I appear to have misunderstood the question...

Baseball caps were not meant to be worn backwards.... Shade your face not you ego.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #55
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
See I disagree. I think it's very ignorant. Someones credibility has nothing to do with how they wear their baseball cap. The two are in now way related to each other. To say that someones credibility is in question because of that would be like saying if you wear slacks and a jacket with your collar open at a business function then you can't be trusted.
Well, we'll have to disagree, then. IMO, credibility is subjective based on perception and if you are percieved as looking goofy becuse your hat is backwards, then that perception is real. Try going to a job interview at a bank dressed in a tank top, shorts, and flipflops. The perception is that you don't give a crap about the job or dressing appropriately for it. You may, in fact, care very much about the job and intend to dress appropriately. But it won't be an issue because you won't get the job. Perception is very real.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:51 PM   #56
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
ry going to a job interview at a bank dressed in a tank top, shorts, and flipflops. The perception is that you don't give a crap about the job or dressing appropriately for it. You may, in fact, care very much about the job and intend to dress appropriately. But it won't be an issue because you won't get the job. Perception is very real.
I agree perception is real. However to assume someone is not credible because of the fashion they wear a baseball camp is ridiculous. If you're that judgmental based on something so small, you're going to miss out on a lot of good people in your life both in the work force and outside of it.

We can agree to disagree.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #57
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Credibility? Sort of. I let anyone get the first 10 words out of their mouth before I think they are really stupid or not credible just because of a hat.

But to be honest I agree with George Carlin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
Another abomination: white guys over 10 years of age who wear their baseball hats backwards. Listen to me. White guys, let me tell you something: you are never going to be as cool as black guys. Not going to happen. You are white, and you are lame. It's a law of nature. Turning your hat around and learning a complicated handshake will not make you cool.

And you black guys, since you started the whole thing, I'm going to let you stay with the hats a little bit longer, but I think really, once you qualify for Social Security, it's time to spin that around to the front
Sorry Tom and everyone else I'll still smoke a cigar with you any time.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #58
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I agree perception is real. However to assume someone is not credible because of the fashion they wear a baseball camp is ridiculous. If you're that judgmental based on something so small, you're going to miss out on a lot of good people in your life both in the work force and outside of it.

Actually it is sad that both the presenter and the perceiver are at fault in today's world.

The person that presents themselves this way in a business situation has become too relaxed and doesn't give a second thought to a more professional appearance.

The person that interprets this casualness as something other than that and makes a personality or character judgement based on that has bowed to stereotypical judgement.

It is sad, but that is the world today.
Yes, you may miss some great people. But, you may also eliminate some real Hoosiers (no offense David and Jeff) and save some time.

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #59
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:

Here is where you miss my point. I would never dismiss someone's credibility completely because of their cap. But people form impressions based on appearance. That is human nature. Whether you admit it or not, you do it, too. Where I think you are coming from is that if one draws conclusions based on those impressions, they would miss out on many good people. I can agree with that.

And if you take the time to re-read the OP, it asks does the backwards cap affect credibility. It doesn't ask if you dismiss someone's credibility because of it.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:26 PM   #60
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

I frequently wear hats, and am pretty old school about them. Remove your hat when you walk indoors, no hats indoors. Remove your hat during the National Anthem, or when the flag passes you at a parade. No backwards hats.