Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #41
BC-Axeman

Default Re: Somali Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
I'm assuming some type of bullet
30mm. Heh, heh, heh. Maybe not.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #42
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Those Navy snipers were unreal.
Two separate boats rocking. Critical shots only to be taken once.
Nailed them!!!

Oh what joy!!!
Snipers where Seals ,well done guys!
Old 04-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #43
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

My son and I had been sitting around wondering why the Navy just didn't send the Seals in under cover of darkness to play "pop the pirate". All I can say is IT WAS ABOUT TIME!

Now we can all sit back and listen to all the wussy hand wringers talking about how the evil U.S. has just made the situation worse by murdering those three law abiding Somailian patriots. I can't wait for some pillar of human rights to stand up and call for a UN trial in international court charging the Seals with murder.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #44
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
I suppose a history class might have prevented this situation from its inception if the Pirates simply understood the phrase "From the halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli."
Yes, I know the shooters were Navy Seals, not Marines, but the sentiment, and the continent is the same.
I think the pirates have watched Pirates of the Caribbean and some of the other romantic Hollywood movies too many times...
Old 04-13-2009, 03:05 PM   #45
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

Lots of SF types like to modify the M14 and use it for sniping/sharpshooting etc.
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:16 PM   #46
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

Way to go boys ... if you're ever in my neck of the woods, beers are on me. About frickin time those scum face bullets instead of stacks of $100 bills. Next time they need to give them counterfeit money then blow them out of the frickin water after they head back to shore/mothership. A few months of 99% mortality and pirating won't seem to be such a good option anymore.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:20 PM   #47
jamesb3

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Nuke 'em.
Agree with Admiral on this. The only course of action is an overwhelming show of force. No walking on eggshell appproach. Just hit em where it hurts.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:28 PM   #48
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb3 View Post
Agree with Admiral on this. The only course of action is an overwhelming show of force. No walking on eggshell appproach. Just hit em where it hurts.
Yeah! When has the "walking on eggshells" ever put a swift end to bad behavior?
Maybe not nukes, though. Do we still have big gun battleships? Crater the coastline. Could you imagine the soiled pants if a battleship or two parked off their ports and swiveled it's guns around.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #49
CBI_2
Have My Own Room

First Name: Paul
CBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
Twice just to be sure
10-4 on that.

I bit like this guys philosophy for world peace. http://www.imao.us/docs/NukeTheMoon.htm
Old 04-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #50
JPH
Ted Peffer

JPH is on a distinguished road

JPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:07 PM   #51
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBI_2 View Post
10-4 on that.

I bit like this guys philosophy for world peace. http://www.imao.us/docs/NukeTheMoon.htm
Yeah! That's what I'm talking about!
Old 04-13-2009, 09:36 PM   #52
Drat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanGAR View Post
A few months of 99% mortality and pirating won't seem to be such a good option anymore.
That's what ended piracy the first time around.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:48 PM   #53
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Spike TV just announced they have a deal with the US Navy and will start filming in 2 weeks for a reality show. They hope to have it on tv by September.
MedicCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:04 PM   #54
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

"Dead men tell no tales" Take out every pirate on board simultaneously.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:08 PM   #55
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Just don't kill the dread pirate roberts.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #56
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
Just don't kill the dread pirate roberts.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:41 PM   #57
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
That is my second favorite movie of all time.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:44 PM   #58
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

I for one was elated to read the news reports. It's always just kinda pissed me off that a handful of "pirates" in little speed boats could actually take over a big ass ship like they do. So yeah - kudos to the Navy Seals on not wasting any bullets - 3 bad guys, 3 Navy Seals, 3 bullets! Practice pays off.

But why stop here. We have satellites, AWACS and all that other secret spy stuff at our disposal - so why not use it for more practice.

1 pirate mother ship.
1 US Navy attack submarine
1 torpedo.
Practice.

1 pirate strong hold.
1 Arleigh Burke class destroyer.
1 Tomahawk Block IV cruise missile.
Practice

1 pirate speed boat.
1 Navy/Marine AH-1 SuperCobra
1 AGM-114 Hellfire
Practice

The list could go on.

And before I forget - kudos to France also for jumping in and kicking some butt themselves.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:33 PM   #59
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
I for one was elated to read the news reports. It's always just kinda pissed me off that a handful of "pirates" in little speed boats could actually take over a big ass ship like they do. So yeah - kudos to the Navy Seals on not wasting any bullets - 3 bad guys, 3 Navy Seals, 3 bullets! Practice pays off.

But why stop here. We have satellites, AWACS and all that other secret spy stuff at our disposal - so why not use it for more practice.

1 pirate mother ship.
1 US Navy attack submarine
1 torpedo.
Practice.

1 pirate strong hold.
1 Arleigh Burke class destroyer.
1 Tomahawk Block IV cruise missile.
Practice

1 pirate speed boat.
1 Navy/Marine AH-1 SuperCobra
1 AGM-114 Hellfire
Practice

The list could go on.

And before I forget - kudos to France also for jumping in and kicking some butt themselves.

Ron
Right on!!
Old 04-14-2009, 12:07 AM   #60
JimmyPeaches
Just in from the Storm

First Name: James
JimmyPeaches is on a distinguished road

I just recently gave a report on piracy for my international logistics class and the article that I used highlighted the problems in acting offensively against the pirates.

1. The Gulf of Aden is close to to the distance from Maine to Miami and also several miles wide. No one navy has enough capacity to effectively patrol this area. Yes, there would be enough naval force if countries act in concert, but aerial capability is also needed, not something every navy has. This has been in the works for several years, Pres. Bush started working on this bill and how to incorporate other nations before he left office. Pres. Obama is now currently working on finishing this doctrine.

2. Who is ultimately responsible for prosecuting the pirates? Is the nation that the ship is register in? Is the country of the navy that apprehended the pirates? Is it the country whose waters the pirates were in when they apprehended? So far, no one country on the African coast wishes to partake in the insanity, so often times the pirates are just dropped off on the beach after being detained for awhile. Yes, Kenya did prosecute some pirates and sentence them to 7 year sentences, but Kenya itself does not have the legal or institutional capacity to incarcerate all of the pirates.

3. Why can't the U.S. take over? Transporting pirates to the USA, trying them, and then holding them would put a strain on our national funds for a world problem. Also without capable local governments, practical enforcement is near impossible. In the Straits of Malacca near Malayasia and Indonesia, the pirates were deterred and finally moved on one the local governments stepped enforcements.

4. How does a speedboat stop a cargo ship? Most often the pirates ask for ransoms that are less than the insurance premiums for a one-way passage through the Gulf of Aden. Premiums have risen from $500 to ~$20,000 in very recent years and months. Secondly, many times the pirates are crewed on the ships, so knowingly or unknowing the shipping company has already set themselves up, which is also the reason that weapons are not kept aboard.

Well, that's enough for one post.
JimmyPeaches is offline   Reply With Quote