Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about
Default USPS proposing to cut Saturday deliveries

http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/02/news...dex.htm?hpt=T2

than sucks...
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of
Default Re: USPS proposing to cut Saturday deliveries

I like getting stuff on Saturdays.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

Does this mean no delivery's of Cigars on Saturday??
Old 03-02-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
Does this mean no delivery's of Cigars on Saturday??
Of anything....
Old 03-02-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

They talk about it every few years. This time, looks like they may do it.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...highlight=USPS
Old 03-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #6
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

I heard something about this before. Definitely sucks but makes sense financially for the PO.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:04 AM   #7
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Screw the USPS. When I buy stuff online and have the option to choose between USPS and UPS/Fedex, I pick USPS b/c of the Saturday delivery. If they eliminate Sat delivery, I will support UPS/FedEx b/c they actually let you track items.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:07 AM   #8
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
Screw the USPS. When I buy stuff online and have the option to choose between USPS and UPS/Fedex, I pick USPS b/c of the Saturday delivery. If they eliminate Sat delivery, I will support UPS/FedEx b/c they actually let you track items.
Shut up Dan!
Old 03-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #9
Razorhog
Feeling at Home

First Name: Beau
Trading: (4)
Razorhog is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I think it's pathetic that the USPS continually takes a loss. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised because it is run by the government. But damn, someone needs to whip it into shape. (I support the USPS and have relatives who work for them. Still find it pathetic.)
Razorhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #10
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

I'll expect to see a 16% reduction in fees to reflect the reduction in service.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #11
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Gotta agree with Dan on this one.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #12
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

I pick USPS because they are cheaper for the most part. This Saturday delivery loss doesn't bother me.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:38 AM   #13
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

I'll still use the USPS, but someone has to go in there and trim the fat to whip it back into fiscal shape.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #14
Mikes
Post Whore

Trading: (0)
Mikes is on a distinguished road

Quote:

AMEN! I don't know how the USPS stays afloat with the crap ass service they provide. At least when I go into a UPS or Fed Ex store I am treated in a courteous manner by someone who cares and is not just counting the days till they retire and draw a pension. I can care less about Saturday delivery, and can't wait to see what they decide to 'cut' next year when this doesn't work and or what kinda hand out they get to stay open.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #15
chenvt
Duck the Futch!!!

Trading: (23)
chenvt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
I'll still use the USPS, but someone has to go in there and trim the fat to whip it back into fiscal shape.
I'll still use them because they're the most cost effective.. However, they need to treat it more like a private corporation than a government entity. For example, stop making it free for federal use. Federal agencies get budgets, make them pay for their use of the postal service. Non profits too.
chenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #16
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
I heard something about this before. Definitely sucks but makes sense financially for the PO.

It's no biggie to me. If it saves money, then go for it. I wish the rest of the Federal gov't would try to make some cuts.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #17
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenvt View Post
I'll still use them because they're the most cost effective.. However, they need to treat it more like a private corporation than a government entity. For example, stop making it free for federal use. Federal agencies get budgets, make them pay for their use of the postal service. Non profits too.
The USPS is a private corporation. Actually, it's a public corporation. Or neither. It's the only entity that operates the way they are forced to operate (that I know of), and it's way screwed up. But it works.
The goverment does not own them, but they are forced to operate by guidelines that are set by the government.
They take those guidelines and do the best they can to not turn a profit. For many, many years they operated in the black, mainly because of their volume. That surplus kept rate hikes from happening. With the advent of email, they've taken huge shortages in volume and have really wrestled to stay solvent. The rise in fuel costs put a beating on them, too.
Problem is, when they need a rate hike, they have to go to Congress to get it approved. Usually it's too late, because they have to operate to a non-profit budget, and they're always heavily in the red before they can get a rate increase passed. Then they need another rate increase by the time the last one passes.
The good thing about this structure is that the same congress who dictates the crappy rules to which they operate also happen to be the ones who decide if there's mail on Saturdays.
Right there is your answer as to whether it'll ever happen. I can't imagine there's a congress member who's willing to vote that they don't get mail on Saturday.
I'll put ten bucks on Saturday mail staying just the way it is.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #18
Christoff

Personally, less bills coming in on Saturday means less headaches for the weekend. I agree with several posters' opinions in this thread.
Mainly:
1. General cuts in federal spending are paramount at the moment, we are going broke faster than a crack addict.
2. Why in the hell Government agencies get free postage is beyond me. Congressional Members send out hundreds of thousands if not millions of pieces of Junk mail requesting donations or support on our dime. That needs to go.
3. It is still a very cost effective way of shipping items but the service is generally worse than most other companies who have a vested interest in return customers.

However, that being said the 3 Billion that would save the USPS by cutting saturday mail is a drop in the bucket. From what I have read the USPS is running a 7+ billion dollar short fall this year. So clearly there is more that needs to be done.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #19
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I'm not happy about losing Saturday delivery and I certainly have my compliants about the USPS, but if you look at the shear volume of mail (letters, packages) that they move, I think the prices and service are pretty good.

Could they be better you bet? Could UPS or FedEx do a better job? Maybe, but the fact is UPS, FedEx and others are not allowed to compete with the USPS for letters.

Instead of griping about the loss of Saturday delivery, higher costs of USPS, or poor service from the USPS you should gripe at your congressional representatives and your senators. Get the government out of the mail delivery service. Allow the USPS to operate the same as any public corporation (sell stock, even) and allow full competition.

The government could even get out of the postage stamp business (most people pay cash for mail these days), but that is a rant for another time.

** End of Rant **

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #20
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about

I like USPS. Click -N- Ship online, free boxes (they will even deliver them to your house), fairly inexpensive, delivery conformation and for me have always proved to be faster then UPS or FedEx. I'll miss Saturday deliveries, but I can live with that.