Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default One Of The Really GOOD Vendors...

This morning I called Todd (RevSmoke) for some help. We have 4 Coasties on the Cutter Monomoy that are pipe smokers. I sent pipe tobacco quite awhile back that you guys had donated and figure they have to be running very low if not completely out.
I know exactly zero about pipe tobacco, and needed some good people who I could throw myself at their mercy.
Todd suggested I call Cornell and Diehl and fill them in on what I was doing and ask them what would be best to send. He also mentioned they may have discounts for the troop support sort of thing.
So I called and spoke to Chris at C&D. I explained that I wanted to fill a 12" x 9" x 5" travel humi, and that it'd probably handle about 3 pounds of pipe tobacco (at my best guess). I suggested that he send their "Hoover Blend" which is a mixed value blend, and he immediately said "no, I won't send that."
He's going to send a number of different tins and some pipe cleaners. More than we can possibly use, I'm sure. He took my address and wouldn't even discuss money.
I explained that we are more than capable of paying, that we'll need him in the future, and we don't want to take advantage of him. He said, "We have Vets over there, too. We understand." I immediately stopped arguing, we all understand that.

I closed the call and got to thinking...
Chris had mentioned they had some of their boys over there. Maybe some are cigar smokers? So I called him back and extended our help to him, offering to take care of their boys just as they offered to take care of ours. I think Chris was very happy, I could tell by his voice, and I left my name and number with him. I don't know if they have anyone, but it sure will be nice to take care of those that take care of us, and take care of our boys.

Needless to say, this absolutely made my day. I was very much set back at Cornell and Diehl's incredible generosity. The best part is that it was 100% genuine. No strings, no hope of accolades, no expectations, no need for advertisement, nothing. Just plain old love.
Todd told me they were wonderful people, a great company, and exceptional vendors. When he told me that, I didn't for a second imagine just how wonderful.

I really had no idea how the BOTL ideal spread across the pipe smoking world up until today. I have to admit that I'm more than pleasantly surprised, and feel just that much more blessed to be a part of all of this.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: One Of The Really GOOD Vendors...

Old 04-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Gave me chills. I love to hear about these kinds of good people! If I ever want to order some pipe tobacco they will be my first stop!
Old 04-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
Gave me chills. I love to hear about these kinds of good people! If I ever want to order some pipe tobacco they will be my first stop!
Old 04-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Stand up people!! Proud to live in this great country!
Old 04-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Always great to hear a story like this, Scott.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

First Name: Cole
Trading: (81)
Partagas
chaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the rough

Great people there at C&D! Glad to see they are helping out too.

And Scott, good for you in representing the cigar nation and CA in calling back and expressing our willingness to send smokes over to their group. We love all the troops and appreciate their service and would love to add more to the list of mailings.

Another great read on the Asylum and how stand up BOTL's and SOTL's can be!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Still shows there is some pride in this country.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
ArgusP2
It's Smokin' Time!

First Name: Angel
Trading: (13)
RA
ArgusP2 is a jewel in the roughArgusP2 is a jewel in the roughArgusP2 is a jewel in the rough

Everything above X100

Thinking of trying out pipes and tobacco, they will definitely be my first stop!

-Bdawg
ArgusP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #10
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Old 04-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

I have been smoking C&D exclusively for years because of their CS. Super fantastic bunch there. If you ever in the area (mooresville, NC?) give em a call. They'll let you tour the shop and make your own blend. I did this about 7 years ago.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

My Wife is a Coastie, and Coastie's are known for getting the worst treatment. People saying, "The USCG isn't military" and crap like that.

Really glad to hear about such a kick ass company that supports the Troops, both foreign and domestic. Also really awesome job Scott giving some love to a branch that rarely gets any.
BHalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #13
dubnick

Great to hear!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #14
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Very cool to hear. Props to you as well, Scott.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #15
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Amazing story and generosity on all fronts.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #16
Pseudosacred
What will your verse be?

First Name: Nick
Trading: (1)
Pseudosacred is on a distinguished road

That's amazing service! It's so amazing when a company shows how much it cares and wants to help our troops.

I'll definitely be buying my next few tins from them!
Pseudosacred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #17
DMK
S.O.B.

First Name: Darryl
Trading: (86)
Partagas
DMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really nice

Good to hear, I haven't tried any of their pipe tobacco yet.
Time to place an order.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:10 AM   #18
Cigar Mike
Thankful.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (2)
Montecristo CoastGuard (Deployed)
Cigar Mike is on a distinguished road

Wow! What a great thing for them to do. I'm definitely going to pass the word about their company and give them some business when I get home.
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #19
physiognomy
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
ERdM
physiognomy will become famous soon enough

Thanks for sharing this story with us, Scott. I like several C&D blends & there are many more I want to try. I can see an order going their way in the near future.
physiognomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #20
never_enough
Never Satisfied

First Name: Robert
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
never_enough will become famous soon enoughnever_enough will become famous soon enough

Thanks for telling us this great story. Its nice to read things like this and realize there are still great caring people out there. Thanks to all parties involved for being so selfless and willing to help others.

And when I buy pipes/tobacco for other people, I now know the first place I will go.
never_enough is offline   Reply With Quote