Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Anyone hear of trigger points?

For several years, I've dealt with pain associated to a spot just below my left shoulder near my spine that gets incredibly tight. It often causes pain to radiate from my neck to my arm at times. I'd never seen a doctor about it and a little google search identified this type of thing as a trigger point. It seems to get much worse during times of high stress.

Finally going to see a chiropractor this afternoon to see if he can help remedy this issue. Just wondered if anyone else has had a similar issue and what they may have done to get relief at times.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: Anyone hear of trigger points?

go to a physical therapist. A very good chiro may be able to help, but the PT will show you exercises to get rid of it and ensure that it does not come back.

Until PT, I spent years with a trigger point that would occasionally dislocate ribs.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
go to a physical therapist. A very good chiro may be able to help, but the PT will show you exercises to get rid of it and ensure that it does not come back.

Until PT, I spent years with a trigger point that would occasionally dislocate ribs.
Will look into a PT as well. Just thought I'd try a chiropractor at first cuz I could get in immediately.

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Generally, a Chiropractor should work on your trigger points before stretching and then an adjustment.

They'll use what looks like a door stop on a t-handle to really press into the trigger points.

Stretching is going to be critical thing for you to do. Once muscle pressure and tightness is over your trigger points, you'll feel pain. Just as inflamation will add to this.

A good chiropractor should give you the stretches and exercises that PT would recommend. The difference is that PT does them with you and the Chiropractor will just show you. If a chiropractor does not show you how to stretch; look for another one.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
forgop
Not a puffer

The place I'm at now has a PT here, so I'd like to think they will offer a comprehensive plan to dealing with this. I've seen a trigger point injection mentioned, so no idea what that entails just yet.

I did read good reviews on this clinic, so we'll see how it goes. Willing to almost anything at this point.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
I've seen a trigger point injection mentioned, so no idea what that entails just yet.
Done that one; try to avoid it if possible.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
forgop
Not a puffer

At this point, I'd almost try anything. It can't be worse than cortisone injections in the heels of my feet.

Chiropractor reviewed my back history and determined that I had 3 very big trigger points. He was particularly interested in seeing the MRI results from my 2 back surgeries in 2010 before doing too much, which I can understand. I have an 11 # differential from one side to the other and he certainly gave my back some good pops. Overall, I can say I came away with a bit of relief in the pain associated with turning my neck left/up/down compared to what it was. Will get to talk more about the x-ray results/MRI scans for a more detailed plan of action at my follow up on Tuesday.

If anything, I'll be happy to let my wife dig the heel of her foot onto these points to give the areas some stretching.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

My daughter who is a LMP(License Massage Therapist) Deals in trigger point therapy.
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Todd
Trading: (2)
chachee52 is on a distinguished road

Speaking as a PT, my first line of action is to figure out what is causing it. Most Chriopractors (not all, I know a few good ones) will tell you that you are out of allignment. The one question that I always ask is why? The symtoms that you are describing can be coming from multiple sources and if you don't find the source it will never go away, even after injections.
So my advice is to find someone that will tell you "why", and not just what.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

I've had a life of back problems and have found deep tissue massage and Hydrotherapy (spa) to work best for me.

One of the longest periods of pain free living came after an acupuncture session though....

Your pain sounds very similar to where mine is and standing for long periods of time really aggravates mine as well as periods of high stress.

Try a good massage therapist who knows deep tissue massage and let them really put you through an hour of elbow in the back pain and you'll come out feeling like butter.

Last edited by floydpink; 01-18-2012 at 07:51 PM.
floydpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #11
forgop
Not a puffer

You're right about the stress though, but whether the trigger points caused the stress or the stress caused the trigger points to flare up, I don't know. It just seems that when I'm stressed, it flares up and I feel like I've got the weight of an elephant on about 3-4 different points of muscle around my left shoulder blade.

I actually happen to have a clinical day at an accupuncture clinic on Monday. Word is that he's very good about giving some demonstrations, so I'll see if he's willing to give my trigger points a good workout.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #12
BnBTobacco

A have a friend who is a travelling PT. Did you try to consult a neurologist or a neurosurgeon as well?
Old 01-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #13
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

A chirpractor will push you to come in a few times a week for realignment, but with muscle issues, the alignment will keep getting pulled out of line.

I found a combination of stretching, a good mattress, and a visit for deep tissue massage when things are really tight has made my mid back pain much more manageable.

I've also had a great deal of relief from acupuncture and yoga, but never seem to find the time for them anymore.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #14
forgop
Not a puffer

So I talked to the guy today in my clinical abou my trigger point issue. He had a no show and took the opportunity to give me a treatment. I think he did 4-5 needles around my left shoulder, put a warming lamp over it, and about 30 minutes later, I was done. It's amazing how much the muscles that were as hard as a rock before and have loosened up over the last 4 hours since then.