Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #21
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Storage overkill. How many gigs you got?

my stuff:
1x 1.5 external
3x 160gig external
1x 200gb internal

then my brother and I also have another 3TB in the house.

It's amazing how fast HD movie and HD videos can fill up your storage.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:14 PM   #22
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about

1 TB on the desktop and a 320 GB external for back-up.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #23
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

First Name: Joe
Trading: (5)
J0eybb will become famous soon enough

2TB here
J0eybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:24 PM   #24
shooter21489

I'm only at 1 TB right now, but that's for my backup tower. My main computer is my lappy, only 150 gig, mostly music... and world of warcraft.... Planning on getting me a mac this summer.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:59 PM   #25
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I just swapped out a couple 300gb hdd's with a couple 1.5tb platters in my main rig. There's two more 200gb platters and another pair of 300gb platters in that machine for a total of 4tb now. I think that should do for awhile.
I did it because, as ridiculous as it sounds, 1.6tb was never enough.
I use the second drives of the same position as backups, in case one of my drives flakes.
The reason I mention this is that I have the same problem with my computer as my cigars. Never enough space.
How many gigs in your rig?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoings View Post
I have 4.something TB but it is setup in raid so I only really have 2TB of storage...I need more. Doing photography eats up storage...plus I rip a copy of all my DVD's when I get them...my kids are always scratching or losing my stuff!
2TB's, but I'm not mirroring the drives so that's pure storage space. I know, I'll be sorry if something fails, but I still have a burned hard copy of the movies, just start all over again.

I've got a wireless network set up to stream music and movies throughout the house, so I rip full ISO's of all my movies onto the network, and all of my music is on there as well. Then I create a main movie for either transfer or streaming to my iphone.

At 6-7 GB per ISO a TB doesn't get you very far. If I ever get a blu ray drive for the computer and start ripping blu rays on to the network I'm going to need a lot more space,
Old 03-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #26
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
2TB's, but I'm not mirroring the drives so that's pure storage space. I know, I'll be sorry if something fails, but I still have a burned hard copy of the movies, just start all over again.

I've got a wireless network set up to stream music and movies throughout the house, so I rip full ISO's of all my movies onto the network, and all of my music is on there as well. Then I create a main movie for either transfer or streaming to my iphone.

At 6-7 GB per ISO a TB doesn't get you very far. If I ever get a blu ray drive for the computer and start ripping blu rays on to the network I'm going to need a lot more space,
I'm already imagining another pair of 1.5tb platters, Vic.
Today I set up started moving files so I can stream orb to my xbox and iphones and dvd players properly.
I should really have my head examined.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:01 PM   #27
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

Desktop: 1TB
File Server*: 2 * 500GB drives in Raid 1 mirror
Media Server: 2 * 1.5TBd drives + 2 * 1TB drives combined via LVM to present as a single 5TB lun
---------------
total: 6TB of functional storage

I also have a pair of 500GB external drives that I use for backing up all the machines on my home network as well as the important file shares (ie. not the media server). I store one of the externals in my desk at work and rotate them every 2 weeks to maintain offsite backups in case of a disaster or total theft at my house.

Bluray rips and HD tv shows eat amazing amount of storage space even when they are compressed down as MKV's. 2TB drives are really dropping in price now so I expect I'll probably pick up 4 (8TB total) at some point this year. 2 of the those drives will replace the pair of 1 TB drives in the media server and the other 2 will simply to be added to the media server's LMV lun increasing it's size to 11TB. The pair of 1TB drives coming out of the media server will then replace the mirrored 500GB drives in the file server.

Drive space is a never ending battle made possible by the ever falling cost of storage......
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:06 PM   #28
systm
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (3)
systm has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSmokey View Post
Currently have 500GB internal 500GB external and building a 4TB NAS to work with my Desktop and my Media Center
You Should check out freeNas its a great server system, and very easy to set up.
Only about 750GBs across all machines, but I need to get a 1TB to start backing up videos to my server/mpd box.
systm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #29
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
Look into DVDShrink for your DVD collection and strip out all the menu's, extra features etc. and you should be able to get them down to about 4GB per iso. For bluray it makes much more sense to rip to MKV and either get a set-top box like a Popcorn Hour or a media PC to play them. A standard 1080p movie ripped to MKV ranges from is about 9GB to 12GB. Raw bluray rips are in the 45GB range

Quote:
Originally Posted by systm View Post
You Should check out freeNas its a great server system, and very easy to set up.
Only about 750GBs across all machines, but I need to get a 1TB to start backing up videos to my server/mpd box.
The major downfall with freeNas is it's lack of expandability. Once you create an array you can't expand it or add additional drives to it without loosing all your data.

Last edited by mithrilG60; 03-25-2010 at 02:10 PM. Reason: combined posts
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:51 PM   #30
Jason
the thing under the thing

Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Jason will become famous soon enough

2.5tb but it's across 6 devices, storage is cheap and I save everything
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:55 PM   #31
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

250 GB plus and external 320 GB. I am actually needing to grab a new 1tb to slap into the desktop but as soon as I do I know it will be full. At least this way I am forced to delete things.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #32
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

How many gigs? Just this one

Or does that count as two?
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #33
GTCanuk
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Paul (AKA Darrel)
Trading: (0)
Bolivar
GTCanuk is on a distinguished road

1 TB here plus a couple of externals 320 G and a 250
GTCanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:24 PM   #34
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Trading: (26)
Partagas
KenS has a spectacular aura aboutKenS has a spectacular aura about

500 GB Internal
48GB ExpressCard SSD
2TB External FW800
2 x 500GB External USB 2.0
Plus a Sharkoon QuickPort Combo for quick connecting various internal drives I have hanging around.

Overall, 4+ TB.

Lots o' backups!!
Old 03-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #35
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I've managed to get all my stuff moved and two of three hdd's backed up.
Now I can defrag my boot and see if things snap along a bit better. Then I'm gonna start hogging them full of crap I don't need, so I can stream stuff all over that I'll never watch. It'll be incredibly cool for about five minutes though.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:02 PM   #36
Brilliant

I have a whole house server that backs up three computers, so you are not alone.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:35 PM   #37
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Scott - apparently we have a bunch of amateurs here

This box has 4.7 tb at the moment. But that can change at any time as I have a Blac X Duet that I can hot swap any of the 3.5 tb worth of drives sitting here on my desk.

The box right next to this one (used as a server) has 3.5 tb currently that I will be adding another 1.5 or 2 tb drive to shortly (have 4 320gig drives that are full of MP3's that need to be combined on one drive).

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:37 AM   #38
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
Scott - apparently we have a bunch of amateurs here

This box has 4.7 tb at the moment. But that can change at any time as I have a Blac X Duet that I can hot swap any of the 3.5 tb worth of drives sitting here on my desk.

The box right next to this one (used as a server) has 3.5 tb currently that I will be adding another 1.5 or 2 tb drive to shortly (have 4 320gig drives that are full of MP3's that need to be combined on one drive).

Ron
You're kickin my butt, Ron. I only have 120gb of mp3's and flac. I'm gonna load up, though.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #39
Cyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post
Desktop: 1TB
File Server*: 2 * 500GB drives in Raid 1 mirror
Media Server: 2 * 1.5TBd drives + 2 * 1TB drives combined via LVM to present as a single 5TB lun
---------------
total: 6TB of functional storage

2 of the those drives will replace the pair of 1 TB drives in the media server and the other 2 will simply to be added to the media server's LMV lun increasing it's size to 11TB. The pair of 1TB drives coming out of the media server will then replace the mirrored 500GB drives in the file server.

Drive space is a never ending battle made possible by the ever falling cost of storage......
Hey Geoff,

What are you using for your media server?

Save me a trip to Google: what is LMV?
Old 04-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #40
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

1TB