Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #1
AngryBill
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bill
Trading: (3)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
AngryBill is on a distinguished road
Default Pinar Del Rio Oscuro Lancero Review

Well, I received several cigars from my friend Abe Flores. I have smoked 2 of these and gifted one to another brother. Most of us know about Abe's joint venture with Juan Rodriguez, creating the Brand, Pinar Del Rio. This review will detail my experience with this cigar, a fine example of a Lancero.

Pinar Del Rio Oscuro Lancero. This cigar is 7 1/4" X 32. The wrapper is a Habano Oscuro, the binder a Habano and the filler is a Dominican/Nicaraguan. This cigar has a modified pigtail cap, but I noticed a slight unraveling of my example. This did not effect the cigar in anyway, as I clipped it with my Palio Cutter. It should be noted that I paired this cigar with some George T. Stagg Barrel Select from 07', which you can see from the following picture, I finished.

Pre-light hints of black pepper, dark roasted coffee and cedary/oak were present. Tastes of sweetness, similar to cinnamon, as well as a light peppery, earthy taste were also present. After toasting this with my Dupont Xtend lighter, this cigar took off. A nice resistance was present, which allowed me to enjoy this cigar. The same flavors were present throughout the first third.

As I hit the 2nd third, the cigar went out. I re-lit the cigar, but had some difficulty keeping it relit for approximately 1/4". After this area passed, I had no problem keeping this cigar lit. The peppery flavor was still present, as was the dark roasted coffee. The sweetness remained, but a dryness developed in my mouth. This was not a bad thing, but make sure you have something to partake with these cigars. A nice mottled medium grey ash remained tight on this cigar. A wonderful light blue grey smoke emitted from this cigar also.

The final third kept the peppery flavor. You could definitely tell this cigar was medium bodied, full flavored. The pepper did not overpower the earthiness or the slight sweetness. Hints of dry hay were also present.

Overall, this was a good cigar. I know this vitolla was just made and new, which may have been part of the reason I had a little bit of burn issue. This did not detract from my enjoyment of this cigar. I would definitely let these sit for a time, probably 3-6 months. But, don't hesitate to try some now. Abe and Juan have done a good job in creating the brand and this cigar keeps that tradition growing. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate this at an 8.2.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hope it helps.
AngryBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of
Default Re: Pinar Del Rio Oscuro Lancero Review

Very nice review!!!

Mmmmm Lancero!!! I didn't know they made a Lancero!!!

This cigar in a Lancero would be divine!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Thank you for the excellent review Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Very nice review!!!

Mmmmm Lancero!!! I didn't know they made a Lancero!!!

This cigar in a Lancero would be divine!!!
Darrell:

http://www.newhavanacigars.com/Pinar_Del_Rio_Habano_Sun_Grown_Bundle_of_30_p/pdr-hsg-lancero-bundle-30.htm

http://www.silocigars.com/pinar-oscuro-lancero-single-cigar-p-2152.html

Old 03-06-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Thanks Mark!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote