Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Reviews

Old 01-08-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
Killjoy

Default Nightcap!!!

How lucky am I, For the holidays I got a tin of Nightcap and have not yet opened it up yet. I cant wait to try it!!!!
Old 01-30-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
Killjoy

Default Re: Nightcap!!!

So after a few bowls of Nightcap, I have decided I like this style of tobacco. the whole flavour was very earthy and it had what I would call more of a traditional tobacco taste to it. It was not harsh at all. It was almost what I would say would be like smoking a good cigar in pipe tobacco form. what is smiliar to this and maybe i can start looking for this style of tobacco.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
morefifemusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post
So after a few bowls of Nightcap, I have decided I like this style of tobacco. the whole flavour was very earthy and it had what I would call more of a traditional tobacco taste to it. It was not harsh at all. It was almost what I would say would be like smoking a good cigar in pipe tobacco form. what is smiliar to this and maybe i can start looking for this style of tobacco.
Thanks for the feedback on nightcap. I like this blend. It was one of the first few tins I got of pipe tobacco.

I found sticking it in a jar with plenty of shaking room and letting it sit for a couple of weeks married the flavors nicely. It was a little overpowered right out of the tin.

If you like nightcap, try GL Pease Westminster, Esoterica Penzance, and Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader. Those are all nice "full bodied" blends with strong flavor profiles. The Penzance probably has the boldest flavor of the three.

-Tyler
Old 02-01-2009, 10:48 PM   #4
Professor Mike
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Michael
Trading: (2)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
Professor Mike is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Nightcap!!!

Lets not forget Esoterica Margate!!!!!!!!!
Professor Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:54 AM   #5
morefifemusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Mike View Post
Lets not forget Esoterica Margate!!!!!!!!!

MMMM yes, I have only had a sample baggy of Margate. Smelled like manure, tasted like heaven.

I have a tin sitting waiting to be opened when I get around to it.

-Tyler
Old 02-02-2009, 07:55 AM   #6
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
To strengthen your own consideration of the tobacco, and ours, could you dig a little deeper with your description, K'joy? Cut? Texture? Moisture from the can? Strength? All like that?

We're all starting from ground-zero with pipe discussion here at CA. Go harder!
Old 02-02-2009, 08:14 AM   #7
Killjoy

I found I dont care much for flake tobacco at all, maybe becuase the stuff I have had was dry. I definately like a more full-bodied smoke, becuase I am a cigar smoker first (although I smoked my pipe 4 times this weekend and only had 2 cigars). I am not sure what the cut is called, but it is stringy??? I like it pretty moist, as it tends to burn slowly. I just realized I am very abd at this...hope this helps.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
morefifemusic

Quote:
I found I dont care much for flake tobacco at all, maybe becuase the stuff I have had was dry. I definately like a more full-bodied smoke, becuase I am a cigar smoker first (although I smoked my pipe 4 times this weekend and only had 2 cigars). I am not sure what the cut is called, but it is stringy??? I like it pretty moist, as it tends to burn slowly. I just realized I am very abd at this...hope this helps.
Iirc and from your description, it sounds like ribbon cut.

Moo has some good advice, read a bunch of the reviews to get an idea for the kind of things that are included.

Found this real quick on google from JR Cigar. I don't have time to look for something with pictures.

FLAKE CUT - Tobacco packaged as large, flat flakes. Must be rubbed out to separate the flakes.

READY RUBBED - A flake-cut tobacco that has been rubbed out before packaging.

RIBBON CUT - Tobacco cut into long, thin ribbons.

SHAG - Tobacco that has been shredded very finely.

CAKE OR PLUG - Cake tobacco is soaked in honey, which acts as a bonding agent as well as a sweetener. The tobacco is then molded by packing it into round molds before packaging. This process is sometimes referred to as “spun-disc” tobacco.

-Tyler
Old 02-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #9
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
... I just realized I am very abd [bad] at this...
I am too. It's way easier to smoke Nightcap than to write a paragraph about it.

It's hard to write a good, brief and concise review of pipe tobacco. I usually have to smoke something several times (often in different pipes) to get a good sense of it. I'll usually read reviews at www.tobaccoreviews.com before writing something - just to see if someone else had a better expression for nuances I experienced (or missed). It's easy for me to reduce virginias to "barnyard sweet" or "fresh cut hay" and latakia blends to "creosote" or "tarry" tasting even when I know there are a dozen other characteristics to express.

Last edited by Mister Moo; 02-02-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote