Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 09-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #21
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: I just discovered Coffee

Actually, coffee was discovered well before 9/26/2011!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullnrose View Post
I just discovered Coffee
Old 09-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #22
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

First Name: Rob
Trading: (1)
Partagas
germantown rob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullnrose View Post
The filter I ordered from amazon http://www.amazon.com/Aeropress-Stai...7263935&sr=8-2 There are a few different ones but this one seems to work just fine.
http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmari...ss-brewer.html

http://marrowmag.com/coffee/coava-di...coffee-filter/
germantown rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #23
RCS44
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ryne
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
RCS44 is on a distinguished road

I am starting to become a big coffee drinker myself. I never used to be but when i started college, those late nights can be killer. Coffee has saved me more times than i can count. I tend to lean toward to Starbucks coffee, but it is pricy. What is a good alternative coffee that has the same great taste?
RCS44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:40 PM   #24
Starz26
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Eric
Trading: (22)
Army (Served With Honor)
Starz26 will become famous soon enough

Curious to know, is Starbucks to coffee what Acids are to cigars. I mean where a lot of people start out but when they discover the real thing and it is a completely different experience........

I love Starbucks coffee but if this roasting and brewing your own thing is better, I may have to take the slide down the slope as well...
Starz26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #25
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

First Name: Kevin, or just K
Trading: (67)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Savor the Stick has disabled reputation
Exclamation Re: I just discovered Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starz26 View Post
Curious to know, is Starbucks to coffee what Acids are to cigars. I mean where a lot of people start out but when they discover the real thing and it is a completely different experience........

I love Starbucks coffee but if this roasting and brewing your own thing is better, I may have to take the slide down the slope as well...
You catch on very quickly. It is exactly the same; I am forever ruined; in that I can't buy and enjoy coffee at a restaurant....there is no going back once you have had the fresh stuff.

Really once you have had coffee that was roasted 18 hours before, and ground a few minutes before you brew it..... it is orgasmic!

When you have had the real stuff...you'll NEVER go back to Charbucks coffee.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:00 AM   #26
skullnrose
Ashes,ashes,all fall down

First Name: Scott
Trading: (16)
HUpmann
skullnrose is on a distinguished road

I've never had starbucks coffee so I can't comment on their coffee. I can tell you that even the simple task of grinding your own beans compared to buying ground coffee makes a big difference. I'd say the comparison is more like a non cuban cigar vs a cuban cigar where at least to me I find more depth of flavor in a cuban cigar and more depth of flavor in beans I grind myself. I haven't roasted my own beans yet but in a short time I will. I imagine the difference between buying roasted vs roasting your own to be like a cuban cigar vs an aged cuban cigar I guess only time will tell.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:47 AM   #27
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS44 View Post
I am starting to become a big coffee drinker myself. I never used to be but when i started college, those late nights can be killer. Coffee has saved me more times than i can count. I tend to lean toward to Starbucks coffee, but it is pricy. What is a good alternative coffee that has the same great taste?

You're in Chicago,which is loaded with good coffee. Intelligentsia for one makes far better coffee than Starbucks.
Starbucks has it's fans. Having said that, many coffee fans feel they ruin their coffee but over roasting the beans. Go someplace like Intelligentsia or any good coffee roaster, compare the two and decide for yourself.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:47 AM   #28
alvenswiz

I have to buy a new filter..But was wondering which filter should I buy.Can anyone recommend which filter will be good and worth purchasing...
Old 10-14-2011, 05:07 AM   #29
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starz26 View Post
Curious to know, is Starbucks to coffee what Acids are to cigars...
Ba da bing
Ba da boom
Old 10-14-2011, 05:09 AM   #30
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvenswiz View Post
I have to buy a new filter..But was wondering which filter should I buy.Can anyone recommend which filter will be good and worth purchasing...
Filter for what?
Old 10-20-2011, 06:57 AM   #31
w squared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post

Stop. Rethink. Do not allow your enthusiasm to misdirect you.

Your opening post clearly reveals you need to defer all other expenditures until you have selected and purchased a killer grinder. I suggest you take any money you might spend on anything coffee and immediately divert it to a grinder. You have all the key indicators of needing a Mazzer Mini, Macap or, at the very least, a Rancilio Rocky.
These are wise words. I've had a long, sordid, and sometimes painful affair with coffee. We've now come to an awkward truce - I've spent a moderately silly amount of money for good tools, and continue to give her far too much money, far too often for good beans. In return, she tortures me by giving me unpredictable glimpses of her perfection on the mornings that I am able to sweet-talk her "just so".

I'll spare you the boring details of this affair, but I'll say this about grinders. Do it once, do it right. I've owned four grinders in the past five years. The money that I wasted on sub-par grinders would have easily covered the cost of the grinder that I ended up purchasing.

A small blade grinder (don't bother unless you're going to use it just for spices)
An inexpensive burr grinder (better, and acceptable if all you're ever going to do is French Press and you don't mind a bunch of "fines" muddying up your cup of coffee)
Another inexpensive burr grinder (first one was broken and I didn't know any better at the time)
A Baratza Vario - purchased after I upgraded to a better espresso machine with a non-pressurized portafilter and figured out that inconsistent grind size was messing with my mojo.

You seem to do the same thing that I do...research, and then experiment...and you don't seem to be happy with less-than-good results. A good grinder will be a huge help for any style of coffee preparation, and is absolutely vital if you want to make good espresso. If you're going to make espresso, you're going to bitterly disappointed in a grinder that can't produce a fine, consistent, finely adjustable grind. Even if you never end up making espresso, a first-rate grinder will probably make a bigger contribution to good end results than any other piece of equipment that you can purchase.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #32
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

First Name: Kevin, or just K
Trading: (67)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Savor the Stick has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantown rob View Post
I have to agree with Mister Moo, run while you still can. It all starts with a few brew devices, a good burr grinder, fresh roasted coffee, then you find yourself thinking roasting would be nice and it will bring the cost of buying that already roasted fresh roast, it leads to harder stuff. Next thing you know you have 2 6'x4'x3' shelves covered with brew devices, roasters, green coffee beans, then there is the commercial roaster in the garage, the multiple grinders and espresso machines and now talking with Atlas importers discussing whole and 1/2 bags of green beans, picking up 5lbs of Don Pachi Geisha beans from Panama, and finding yourself crying like a baby when a container of Ethiopia Nekisse bound for the USA is stolen. Is this what you want?

I just re-read this post

Ha Ha Ha
Rob you are so funny..... but this is so true.

Run while you can.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:58 PM   #33
Taki
Welcome to the Layer Cake

First Name: Taki
Trading: (38)
HdM
Taki has disabled reputation

Not a huge coffee fan but Shane (BlakSmyth) has been pushing me to try it. Maybe this weekend!!
Old 10-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #34
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

First Name: Jim
Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taki View Post
Not a huge coffee fan but Shane (BlakSmyth) has been pushing me to try it. Maybe this weekend!!
Is there a point to life without coffee???

If you try a good quality coffee you may appreciate it more. I can be all over the map at times. Sometime I like a medium, well balanced coffee...sometime I like a lighter, brighter, slightly acidic coffee...and some times I like my coffee to look like molasses.

Try to decide what flavor profile would suit you best, and then pick your coffee from there.

Enjoy...
Old 10-27-2011, 04:36 AM   #35
w squared

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenyanSandBoa View Post
Is there a point to life without coffee???

Sometime I like a medium, well balanced coffee...sometime I like a lighter, brighter, slightly acidic coffee...and some times I like my coffee to look like molasses.
Here I was, thinking that I was the only one that suffered from a multiple coffee personality disorder.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:33 AM   #36
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taki View Post
Hmmm I might have to push a little harder! Didn't think I had much of a chance of turning you but now I know! Muuahahahahaha
Old 10-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #37
Montano
Bourbon IS a food group

First Name: Nick
Trading: (33)
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
Montano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Congrats Scott!!!

Welcome to yet another slope!!!

BTW, coffee is soooo good with cigars!