Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-10-2011, 10:08 PM   #41
Tyler

Default Re: Tobacco Beetles and Baggies?

This one says something about tin foil and it is from University of Nebraska.

Quote:
Cigarette and Drugstore Beetles. These are small robust beetles that infest a wide range of processed foods, including dry pet food, cereals, spices, drugs and other packages foods. They also attack tobacco. They can chew through tin foil and penetrate most food packaging materials.
http://lancaster.unl.edu/food/ftoct03.htm

I don't know if it is the same beetle?
Old 08-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #42
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

I read it on the internet. It must be true.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:12 PM   #43
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I read it on the internet. It must be true.
Well to be fair a University has more credibility than hill billy Joe writing out of his trailer parked in the middle of Texas using beer cans as makeshift antenna to get satellite internet.

Edit: It should be added though that you could be right and this information could be false. I am just saying that at least it is from a University instead of somewhere not as credible.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #44
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
Go chew some tin foil and report back on how easy it is. I remember being a little dumb @## when I was little and doing that. Took me about 1/8th of a bite to learn
I'm sorry, to whom exactly is this statement directed?

I would hope you actually read the thread to see where the claims were being made before blindly jumping in with both feet.

Last edited by T.G; 08-10-2011 at 10:27 PM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #45
Tyler

I found a kind of cool study that looked at traces of metal in the mandibles of the cigar beetles. No mention of them chewing THROUGH metal though. I only skimmed it so someone with more time can look but doing a search for the word metal popped up alot of info on traces in their mandibles.

http://ddr.nal.usda.gov/bitstream/10...ND23316635.pdf

Edit:

This article suggests that they cannot eat through metal. (I am not saying the above does, I am just throwing some more articles and research out).

Quote:
Store susceptible foods in insect-proof containers of glass, heavy plastic, or metal, ideally with screw-type lids, or store in a refrigerator or freezer. Use older packages before new ones, avoid spillage in cabinets, and always keep food-storage spaces clean. Properly ventilate the storage area to discourage these moisture-loving pests.
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2083.html
Old 08-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #46
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

If a cigar has been aged for three years, would that be long enough for the eggs to die?
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #47
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Thank goodness for Google, now we know everythiing.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:29 PM   #48
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Thank goodness for Google, now we know everythiing.
Haha well in all fairness though some were from Universities. Which a step up from google but is by no means conclusive.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:31 PM   #49
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbright View Post
Haha well in all fairness though some were from Universities. Which a step up from google but is by no means conclusive.
put . . . the . . . shovel . . . down

Old 08-10-2011, 11:37 PM   #50
Tyler

Quote:

Haha okay.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:42 PM   #51
Average Joe
Livin' the dream!

First Name: Name
Trading: (10)
Average Joe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I just read the hygros in the humi and they say 74 and 72 so not too bad but I hear the beetles start to be a problem close to 79-80 right?
Mine has been at 74 all summer with no problems. I freeze everything right when it comes in. I don't need tobacco beetles chewing through the steel supports in my basement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
I think I read on a website somewhere that they use static electricity to arc their way through metal. I'll try to find that link. Maybe Wikipedia.
Do you think they could arc their way through my head wear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
I'm sorry, to whom exactly is this statement directed?

I would hope you actually read the thread to see where the claims were being made before blindly jumping in with both feet.
Really? I'm going to act like you didn't take my post that seriously.
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:36 AM   #52
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
I've never seen such pictures or claims of this before today.....Not saying it isn't true, but ....I'm pretty damn skeptical.

I'd love to see pictures, as mentioned by several members already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Tobacco beetles CANNOT eat through metal. The "foil" used in cigar storage(Tat RC184, RyJ Cazadores, etc.) is paper with a thin metallic coating. I am still waiting for pics of beetles chewing through an aluminum tubo. I have seen many beetle holes in cigars from tubos, not one chewed its way through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
There's a huge difference in thickness between the metal-foil discussed in those articles and the walls of a tubo Devan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devanmc View Post
im not saying its true becuase this is the interwebs but i did find multipule sources stating the bettles can eat threw, what amounts to, thin soft metals.

dont crucify me i found it on the interwebs, if could just be a myth.
and the others that followed

and i get crucified anyways...

I personally never said they could eat threw thick(tubo) metal. I specifically said "soft thin metals". Your interpretation that i said a tubo is wrong because well, i never said it. that is all,

Quote:

+1
Old 08-11-2011, 05:46 AM   #53
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Here are some close pics of my pet beetles. Unless they are a kin to billy goats I'm calling bs on the tubos.

688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:31 AM   #54
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuceone View Post
If a cigar has been aged for three years, would that be long enough for the eggs to die?
While I'm not an Entomologist, I don't believe it's long enough depending on the storage conditions of the cigars. I tried to research mortality rates for beetle eggs but couldn't come up with anything that spoke to how long they live at "normal" temps. Lots of data on the effects of extreme heat and cold, but not so much "room temperature" data.

I'm a better safe than sorry guy -- so I freeze EVERYTHING -- including my previously frozen sticks if I take them to a herf and someone hands me a cigar that I end up throwing in my herf-a-dor. I am NOT screwing with my collection if I can help it. It's one thing to have a box of cigars confiscated, but to lose a box (boxes) which have successfully made it into my humidor? I would kick my own ass into next week.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:40 AM   #55
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

I've been looking into this beetle setting through a tube and mortality rates for the eggs and I too can't find much info on either at room temp.

I think it's widely agreed on that freezing everything is the best preventive mesure but it is still not a 100% percent that you will not have a beetle hatch and ruin a stick or 2.

I believe that if you choose to freeze everything you should still check your stock fromtime to time and make sure everything is still good. I "play" with my stash every few weeks and I use that time to look over some sticks, reorginize, and inspect my sticks.

Keep the temps as low as possible and the humidity in "range" and you should not have to worry about a beetle outbreak let alone them eatting through a tube.

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:12 AM   #56
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Would love to see those pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
Me too.
I have been searching and searching to find them. I cannot find them. Sorry guys.

I recall it being only like 2 or 3 pics of a silver tubo. With one small hole in it. Oh well.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:17 AM   #57
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Quote:
Many University studies aint all that bright either.

Quote:
A study from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill found that “people who bike or walk to work are more fit, less fat than drivers.”

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #58
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Ok, I think I found what I had remembered:

There is a small something or other on the tube above the "A" in Julieta. I can't say that it is a beetle hole. So I guess I remembered it wrong. My bad.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #59
Average Joe
Livin' the dream!

First Name: Name
Trading: (10)
Average Joe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
Ok, I think I found what I had remembered:

There is a small something or other on the tube above the "A" in Julieta. I can't say that it is a beetle hole. So I guess I remembered it wrong. My bad.

I ran a full CSI Miami analysis on the picture and it appears the hole was actually made by Luke Skywalker. From the reflection on the tubo it looks like the photographer had a sandwich for lunch and still had some lettuce on his mustache.
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #60
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
Many University studies ain't all that bright either.
Very true. Causation and correlation often times get confused with studies like the one you quoted.

Last edited by Tyler; 08-11-2011 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Added that I was referring to the study quoted.