Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 06-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough
Default Chad Johnson Courtroom Stuff

Anyone seen the video, have an opinion?

I think that Judge overreacted related to the reaction of the courtroom. I don't think CJ was disrespectful or had any intention of being "funny", I think he had an "athlete" reaction to a question/situation he was put in and made a stupid but slap.

It was not until a bit of reaction from the courtroom, that the Judge decided to take action and then kind of rolled with it. Even when she was addressing him about the slap, he seemed appropriate.....

Anyway, my opinion is related to a snip of tape....who knows the interaction of this case for the past X months....

I do question his choice of shirtsleeve shirt and thus, no tie... Looks pretty relaxed for a court appearance.
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of
Default Re: Chad Johnson Courtroom Stuff

I think he smacked a woman around and deserved to do time no matter who he is. That, though, is just my opinion.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
I think he smacked a woman around and deserved to do time no matter who he is. That, though, is just my opinion.
Head-butted his wife(now ex-wife).... But that is not the point....
Old 06-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

On the field, in a locker room, yeah, normal and OK.

That said, Being a person who is often in court as result of what I do for a living, I and everyone for that matter, should understand a courtroom and anything that happens in it, on or off the record, is taken very seriously by judges.
What he did is to that judge or most judges, the equivalent of joking about weapons to TSA. You just don't do that.

Now, add the fact the issue for which he was there was for domestic violence, a butt slap to his attorney and in the manner he did it (smiling and clearly jokingly) was certain to elicit the response it did from folks observing. No doubt that infuriated the judge. He should have waited to be outside the courtroom.

Again, that was not the proper place and frankly, he was an idiot for not knowing better. The judge simply sent a message that all proceedings in front of her, specially for criminal charges, are to be taken seriously.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

In a courtroom environment...the "good game" slap on the a$$ is inappropriate.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Yea, I spend a fair bit of time in a court room as well..... Not saying the slap was appropriate or okay, but she seemed to react to the courtroom reaction, not the action.

Defendants are going to do stupid stuff from time to time, it is a given, but he is not responsible for the reaction of the courtroom or bailiffs....

Guess the point is.... Did she overreact or was her reaction to the action(not courtroom response) appropriate?
Old 06-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I am not a Chad Johsnon apologist, but she is on a power trip and overreacted. I can see maybe a day or 3 in jail, but not 30. What a waste of taxpayer dollars.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

R.E.S.P.E.C.T

Let's take it from your perspective. His actions led directly to the reaction and outright disrespect of the Court. He was celebrating being convicted and receiving a light sentence. It would have been different if he was celebrating being found innocent, but his actions basically showed him "laughing" at the judge and her ruling.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

His action was related to her questioning if he was satisfied with his counsel. He responded that he was, she then took it further….saying you should be, he is a very good attorney. He then looked at said atty, sort of appeared to not know what to do, so slapped him on his ash…. If she didn’t say that one unneeded piece of commentary during the plea, it would have been done and over.

Yes, inappropriate, but he didn’t appear to be disrespecting the court…he just had a dumb action/reaction to his situation.

I don't think for a second he was laughing at the ruling. I think if the Judge thought the courtroom was being disrespectful, she should have cleared it. But it appears she wanted to make a point....

Slow day I guess..... Not sure why I even care what this Judge did or if CJ does 30 days for head-butting his ex-wife....
Old 06-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
His action was related to her questioning if he was satisfied with his counsel. He responded that he was, she then took it further….saying you should be, he is a very good attorney. He then looked at said atty, sort of appeared to not know what to do, so slapped him on his ash…. If she didn’t say that one unneeded piece of commentary during the plea, it would have been done and over. ....
I completely agree. If the judge didn't want a reaction, she should have just accepted the plea.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
I completely agree. If the judge didn't want a reaction, she should have just accepted the plea.
Huh?

It's literally HER courtroom.
She can stand on her head if she wishes but everyone else beware.

I am sorry but in a courtroom, there is decorum. It is the only place I know you stand up and sit down when told it is OK to sit down as a judge or a jury enters or leaves. That alone sets the tone for the respect that should be maintained at all times.

There was a recent case in South Florida where a young girl made a disrespectful comment and rather than being released, she too got 30 days. 30 days is clearly for purposes of a message. Bet he will never do that again nor will anyone who has seen the tape or heard of the incident. Hence message will be effective.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #12
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
R.E.S.P.E.C.T

Let's take it from your perspective. His actions led directly to the reaction and outright disrespect of the Court. He was celebrating being convicted and receiving a light sentence. It would have been different if he was celebrating being found innocent, but his actions basically showed him "laughing" at the judge and her ruling.
Bingo.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Just in case for those that haven't seen it and read thread.
Here is the video.
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/t/video/oc...loses-19372038
Old 06-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #14
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Huh?

It's literally HER courtroom.
She can stand on her head if she wishes but everyone else beware.

I am sorry but in a courtroom, there is decorum. It is the only place I know you stand up and sit down when told it is OK to sit down as a judge or a jury enters or leaves. That alone sets the tone for the respect that should be maintained at all times.
Just because a Judge can act like God in their courtroom, doesn't mean it's okay.

He didn't have an outburst, mumble under his breath or turn around and start talking with family, he harmlessly tapped his attorney on the ash....in what looks like an act of "What do I do now?" He didn't do this to spite the Judge, as some act of questioning her authority or make a joke in her courtroom. Just a reaction to the position he was in. Though I am not denying it was inappropriate.

Apparently it is her first year on the bench and she is legally blind, so maybe she didn't even see what happened......which may back up my original comments that it appears that she was responding to the courtroom, not his actions. Interesting.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #15
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Carlos 100%.
A courtroom is no place for high-fiving, ass-slapping, laughing or giggling.
Some judges are a bit more light-hearted and will take things less seriously to a degree, but if a person isn't acquainted with that degree, they'd best be severely serious.
Chad Johnson was in trouble because of his lack of self control, not knowing what appropriate reactions were, and for acting improperly and irresponsibly.
Had the judge NOT given him 30 days for slapping his lawyer on the ass, which simply highlighted the fact he's learned nothing from this experience, it would have been wrong.

Don't forget that this same problem pissed away an NFL career. Specifically this same problem. He was let go from the Dolphins this past Spring for using language with reporters after he and the entire team had been told numerous times that the team was to put forth a completely professional persona and to never use inappropriate language in front of the cameras. His head was already chopped when he got around to whatever happened with his crazy girlfriend, which was another domestic abuse deal if I remember correctly.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #16
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Just because a Judge can act like God in their courtroom, doesn't mean it's okay.
Exactly. What the judge did was not right. Going to jail is a serious thing and really puts him in a dangerous position for nothing due to his celebrity. If he is harmed in jail, it is her fault.

Think of all the scums and social predators that don't serve time. We need term limits on judges...
Old 06-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #17
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Exactly. What the judge did was not right. Going to jail is a serious thing and really puts him in a dangerous position for nothing due to his celebrity. If he is harmed in jail, it is her fault.

Think of all the scums and social predators that don't serve time. We need term limits on judges...
I think Ocho meets your definition of scummy social predators. He head-butted a beautiful little woman and sent her to the hospital for multiple stitches.
He didn't think he deserved to be punished, so he violated his probation numerous times which is why he stood in court.
He's also on the hook for being a deadbeat Dad to one of his baby-mamas.
All of these things should have him in jail, yet he's escaped because he can afford good lawyers.
30 days in County isn't going to cause him any harm. He's not going up State. All he's going to do is play cards, sleep on a really awful bed, and wish time would pass much, much faster.
He's getting off very easy.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #18
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I think Ocho meets your definition of scummy social predators. He head-butted a beautiful little woman and sent her to the hospital for multiple stitches.
This is true
Old 06-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #19
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

He didn't get 30 days for slapping the lawyer on the ass, he got 30 days for assaulting his ex, the Judge rejected the plea deal because of his actions in the courtroom.

I guess I think assaulting a woman is more serious than some people who seem to think this is more about the a judge thinking they are God in their courtroom, simple fact is they are God in their courtroom, hence "contempt of court" which gives them power to lock you up for exactly this type of thing.

If you are in court, you are on trial, you are suppose to at least pretend to take things seriously, not laughing and joking around.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:04 AM   #20
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

The original question doesn't have ANYTHING to do with the original charge, it has to do with the agreed on plea, the action and then reaction of the Judge.

This is about an ash slap. pure and simple....the plea was agreed on and because of the action, the Judge changed her mind. It was not contempt of court, she didn't accept the plea.

Thanks for explaining what a courtroom is all about, I appreciate you giving me some outline, that will come in handy.....and I am positive you think assaulting woman is more serious that I do....