Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about
Default Opinions/Experiences with F150/Tundras

I test drove Ford, Chevy, Dodge, and Toyota today. Comparably equipped half-ton pick-ups, 4x4, crew cab, mid trim level etc

Between the test drives and the little research I've done so far, it's down to the Ford and Toyota. I really liked them about equally, I like the salesperson better at toyota, I like that the rear window rolls down, it has a nice ride and a powerful engine. The ford also has a nice ride, slightly less powerful engine, but is a Ford (big + to me), and the interior is finished a touch better.

I'm comparing the F-150 XLT 5.4L 4x4 to a Tundra SR5 TRD 5.7L 4x4

So to those that have purchased one of these in the past 2-3 years, would you still buy the same truck? Biggest pros and cons?

For the record, I didn't like the transmission on the Chevy, and the back seat was the smallest, and the Dodge, while great to drive, has less than stellar reliability and was the most expensive. They were nice trucks, but I'm between the Ford and Toyota. Thanks in advance!
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default Re: Opinions/Experiences with F150/Tundras

Had A Ford Explorer In The Past. Transmission & Air Conditioner Went Out Right After The Warranty Was Up. I'd Go With Toyota!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Just bought a 2010 F150. 3 months, 6000 miles in and I wouldn't change that decision. The frame construction and continued rust problems Toyota has had for 10+ years on all their pickups kept me away.

In the end the frame rigidity, towing power, integrated sway, stability and trailer brake control also swayed me.

Keep in mind F150's also have power rear sliding windows.

Also keep in mind a TRD Toyota 4x4 is comparable to an F150 FX4 not and XLT.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I love my F-150. The Toyos are nice, but I have been a Ford guy for years.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
fhrblig
Real cars have 3 pedals

First Name: Bob
Trading: (0)
fhrblig is on a distinguished road

Me, I'd go F-150. I'm not saying Fords don't have their issues, but there are certain issues I've seen with Tundras make me question their durability; things like deformed tailgates when under load and frame rust. If you are a guy that's hard on your truck, that's something to be concerned about.

I have bought cars when I knew beforehand there were specific trouble areas with them, such as my old Dodge Caravan (transmission). Sure enough, it did have tranny problems a couple of times, but nothing else went wrong with it at all. If you know what to watch for, you can often nip it in the bud when it starts. So if you like the Tundra better, go for it!
fhrblig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Just bought a Tacoma, no not a Tundra but something to think about if you decide to go with the Yota. A couple promotions most Toyo dealers are doing now is 2 years or 25,000 miles Free maintenance which means all your fluid changes and basic maintenance are covered and also they are throwing in a Lifetime Warranty on the drive train. Plus in my opinion you can't compare Fords reliability vs Toyotas.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:13 PM   #7
SSDVC
Life is short, Relax

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
SSDVC is on a distinguished road

My money is on Ford. Nice truck and they didn't take any bailout money. Plus, after the frame rust issue with the Tundra, I'd shy away for awhile.

I had an F150 for several years. It was a "company" truck I got brand new in 2005. 5.4 with 4x4, XLT. I hammered it, put 85,000 in about 2 years and it did very well. Every vehicle is going to have issues, you just work through them and keep going. Ford !
SSDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:17 PM   #8
E-Tx Surveyor

The work trucks that we use at my company are all F-150s, 2wd, extended cab, no bells and whistles. They all are reliable trucks, never any large problems in the ownership but we trade them in at 150k so I'm not one to talk reliability.
Ride comfort is good, and the interior is well put together.
Having said that I would buy a Toyota, I feel as if they are superior trucks in engineering and build quality. I've never owned a Yota but both my brothers have and they were put through hell and both lasted over 300k.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:23 PM   #9
fhrblig
Real cars have 3 pedals

First Name: Bob
Trading: (0)
fhrblig is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
In my opinion you can't compare Fords reliability vs Toyotas.
I get where you're coming from; it takes a long time for people's perceptions to change, especially where cars and reliability are concerned. But Ford's reliability is on par with Toyota and Honda nowadays.

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/05/1...liability.html

I'll say that aside from the issues I mentioned in my last post, the reasons I don't like the Tundra are purely aesthetic, mostly involving the interior. I just didn't like the layout, and I usually like Toyota interiors. Oh, well. To each, their own.
fhrblig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:32 PM   #10
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

I just came out of a Honda as I was doing a lot of driving for my commute and I think Hondas quality is far off from what it used to be. I could not wait to get rid of the car as I felt is was the biggest POS I ever owned and the list is long. If I were in the market to buy another car rather than a truck I myself would not even consider another Honda. Don't get me wrong the motor or tranny never gave me a problem for the 90,000 miles I put on it but everything else around the car was coming apart.
SSDV, didn't Ford take bailout money? I know Toyota didn't but I thought the big three Chevy, Ford and Chrysler were the ones wit htheir hands out.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:58 PM   #11
kydsid
Ditat Deus

kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

No Ford never took any money. They requested to be able to just in case. Hey can't blame em for not wanting to take advantage if needed but they never did partake.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:31 AM   #12
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Oh man this is a tough one. My dad has had F-150s up until his most recent purchase, 03 Tundra. The only reason he switched was because he had problems with is F150 (mind you the F150 had over 200k miles on it). He likes the Tundra a lot but they aren't that great on gas and parts are twice as expensive as Ford. I am still a huge fan of Fords and you can expect to pay much less for the F150 and still have a great truck.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:48 AM   #13
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

I have had 2 F-150's the 4.6l and the 5.4l and loved them both..no issues..Had a 87 Toyota 4-runner and had lots of issues with it..the worst being rust.
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:07 PM   #14
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #15
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDVC View Post
My money is on Ford. Nice truck and they didn't take any bailout money. Plus, after the frame rust issue with the Tundra, I'd shy away for awhile.

I had an F150 for several years. It was a "company" truck I got brand new in 2005. 5.4 with 4x4, XLT. I hammered it, put 85,000 in about 2 years and it did very well. Every vehicle is going to have issues, you just work through them and keep going. Ford !
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
Old 06-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #16
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about

Ford F150 all the way! I love my 06 STX and before that my 87 F250 w/over 200K. My F250 was still running great when I bought the F150 but I wanted newer creature comforts the 06 provided. My wife is on her 2nd Ford explorer and before them it was Toyota's for nearly 2 decades. We gave up on Toys when her last one only went 63K before major valve problems.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:13 PM   #17
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

F150

I am a Ford truck guy.
My last two have lasted me a combined 16 years.
The current one has 77,000.
I bought it in 2003 new and plan to keep it for a whole lot longer.
Don't know what it is to service it other than oil and tires and brakes once.
Love my truck.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:24 AM   #18
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

I have a 1997 F150 with over 200,000 miles, The overdrive button doesn't work, and it has a cracked windshield. 5.4 liter, still runs like a champ. Also have a 2005 F150 4x4, supercrew with 50,000+ miles, no complaints, nothing wrong with it. My wife drives a 2008 F150 4x4 supercrew, Kings Ranch. Guess which I would recommend??!!!

Seriously, though, before we brought the 2005 2 years ago, we tried the Dodge, Chevy and Toyota 4x4's in supercrew (or equivalent). The Ford had more rear seat leg room than any of the other three, which is a big plus when I'm over 6 foot, and my son is also. One biggie to consider, is the future maintenance costs. repairs will be more expensive on the Toyota verses the Ford. Gas mileage isn't a factor, because they all get marginal mileage at best when you are talking the big V-8 and 4x4.

The 2005 was purchased as a certified used truck from a Ford-owned dealership outside Charleston, SC 2 summers ago, and it included a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. The 2008 was purchased 8 months ago at a local Ford dealer. Both dealerships were ready to deal, and gave us no negative issues. Have to wonder about that!!!! Was about as pain free as I've ever encountered in the many years of auto purchases!

Good luck with which ever you end up with!
Old 06-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #19
kydsid
Ditat Deus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Gas mileage isn't a factor, because they all get marginal mileage at best when you are talking the big V-8 and 4x4.
Actually if you are going to consider Ford to Toyota for right now that is a consideration. My 4.6 3V is getting 21 highway and 17-18 around town. The 5.4 Triton is 1mpg lower, although real world isn't do so well. The new 4.6 and 6 speed tranny is a killer combo IMO more so since the new motor has the same power at the wheels as that of the 5.4, it won't have the lower end grunt the longer stroke 5.4 has and its torque is obviously in a higher rpm than the 5.4 but show me the Toyota doing that well.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:31 AM   #20
Pistol

I have a F350 diesel and a Lexus Gx470. No question that the Lexus is a MUCH better vehicle. I've poured $6K into fixing the Ford so far at 65,000 miles, and $0 (beyond normal oil changes, tires, etc) into the Lexus so far at 80,000 miles. The Lexus still runs like it is brand new, the Ford feels like it's 6 years old. I just needed the huge truck to tow my horse trailer, o/w I'd never buy any other truck (or truck based chassis) from anyone other than Toyota/Lexus again. I've had a couple of Chevrolets in the past that were nice trucks, but nothing can touch the 4runner or the GX470 that we've had/have.

FWIW, both of my parents drive toyota/lexus products, and 2 of the three have over 200K on them, the other is near 300K now and all three run great. Although the one with near 300k has electrical issues (it's a '94 Lexus LS400). What can I say, we are a Toyota family.

Last edited by Pistol; 06-03-2010 at 10:36 AM.